Is carbon worth £300 more over cube peloton race £1079

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Potentially have vouchers to use at cycle surgery, and like the cube range

I see there's cash back via quidco too so a little bit of savings

Alu frame cube peloton race 13 £1079 is quite similary spec'd to cube agree gtc pro with carbon frame at £1399. Which would you choose?

Peloton race
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube%20bike ... duct/46862

Agree gtc pro
http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube%20bike ... duct/46918

Apart from carbon what else sets it apart up or down in parts?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• Carbon
  • I'm going to be completely honest, as I have the alu version (albeit called a Streamer, the 2011 name).

I really like the bike but the ride on 23c is quite harsh. Had I known this (and had a bigger budget - I got the alu complete with Ultegra/105 for £800!) I'd have gone carbon, definitley.
  • p1tse
    I'm going to be completely honest, as I have the alu version (albeit called a Streamer, the 2011 name).

I really like the bike but the ride on 23c is quite harsh. Had I known this (and had a bigger budget - I got the alu complete with Ultegra/105 for £800!) I'd have gone carbon, definitley.

Hi thanks
    Nice to have an honest opinion, albeit I'm sure some will disagree etc.
    Excuse the newbie question but what is 23c

I just like the feel of cube and the 53cm frames just sit nicely for me

I was close to getting a used steamer which seemed like new from climb on bikes but got sold.
    So now with cycle surgery vouchers looking to get new option there

Shame they don't discount them which would help decision as going for the agree gtc pro eats into all of the budget for pedal, shoes, helmet, clothes etc. but then I'm happy to pick up cheaper or second hand accessories
  • I mean 23c tyres. I think 25c would be a bit tight as the frame has close clearances.
  • p1tse
    I mean 23c tyres. I think 25c would be a bit tight as the frame has close clearances.

Ah right
    Surely there's enough clearance for the extra?

So it's more to do with tyres than the actual alu frame ?
  • Good question. Actually the ride might be okay if I can squeeze 25c tyres on. At least then I'd have a direct comparison with my winter bike, also alu framed but very comfy to ride.
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    I'm going to be completely honest, as I have the alu version (albeit called a Streamer, the 2011 name).

I have the Agree HPA(Alu) and agree about the harshness. Its fine when fresh and strong but after a long ride, a bit more comfort would be welcomed. So yeah go for the Carbon.
  • p1tse
    What constitutes to a long ride.

I've found a 2012 model cube at cycle surgery but in store aren't interested to discount it even though the website has banners for 2012 bike sales. So waiting to hear back and pester them a little more.

Fine they price match but little 2012 stock sales about now in cube range and they state has to be in stock, size etc.

I'm tempted by the peloton race as I can put a bit towards helmet, shoes and enough funds left for a garmin edge 200
    But swaying me on carbon and have to hold off on the nicer accessories
  • I'm with Andi1363 on his comment, long rides (80 miles plus) can start to get a bit tiresome although shorter rides are actually fine. However, I should sy that it's a great bike and I've done century rides on it without any great discomfort. I must say my previous 23c tyres (Ultremo ZX) gave a much better ride than my Gatorskins but kept puncturing hence my change to (harder riding) puncture-resistant tyres. So take the "harsh ride" comments on context, it's really not too bad but definitely much harder than my alu framed winter bike on 25c Gatorskins.

Some say getting a carbon seat post can help but my current post is an expensive Thomson so I have no budget for a carbon one.
  • p1tse
    Thanks for reply

The likely hood of doing long rides often will be limited. Will try and get best option as possible, just don't fancy their entry carbon the agree gtc with tiagra groupset
  • p1tse
    Just looking at 2012 cube agree gtc model and its cheaper than this years pro with similar 105 groupset