Swinley

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited December 2012 in Routes
Hello :D

I am riding at Swinley this weekend for the first time ever - what are the conditions like at the moment? Basically I have a Trailraker mud tyre fitted to the front (from a race last weekend) and i'm trying to work out whether I can be bothered to change it, or actually whether I might be better off leaving it on!

Cheers!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Not been for a fortnight but it tends to hold up well on the man-made trails (which is a lot of the new trails), off piste is (or was) boggy so a mud tyre up front would be advisable. I run panaracer cinders front and back at this time of the year (conti mountain kings in drier weather), they're spot on for most of the trails in Swinley in the wet.
    We're meeting at 8.30am on Saturday (2 of us), if you want to tag along or just want a pointer on where to start etc, just shout.

Cheers

EDIT - ..... and to answer your question (sorry!) - most of the new trails are compacted sandstone but they drain fairly well, the soil around the DH area / labyrinth is sandy and that also tends to drain well. Some of the singletrack off-piste / through the tree's can get boggy as there's no specific surface or stone put down.
  • miss notax
    Perfect - I have a Cinder on the back actually so i'll leave it exactly as it is then! :D

Thanks for the offer of a pointer - I'm actually biking on Saturday with some ladies from my local MTB club (meeting at 10am ) and I think one of them knows the area well so fingers crossed we are sorted. Quite looking forward to it, it's going to be a chilly one I think :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• gregwari
    Freezing by the sounds of it, but the cafe sells coffee and hot chocolate - have a good ride!
  • miss notax
    gregwari wrote:
    but the cafe sells coffee and hot chocolate

Thank god for that!!! Have a good one 8)

• Ladies? as in plural? ooo lol shame im in Afan haha
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I was going on Sunday but might have to do a bit of Gazlar type stalking on Saturday instead.

Unfortunately quite a few trails taped off while the place gets rebuilt - so behave yourselves and stay off them.

viewtopic.php?f=20007&t=12890859

SBI (Swinley bog index) was about 8 last weekend, but if it stays dry could be down to 5 or 6, which is as good as you can expect in winter. Most of the stuff is fine with pretty much any tyre, and the wet bits are mainly puddles - some quite big ones, rather than miles of swamp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gregwari
    cooldad wrote:
    Unfortunately quite a few trails taped off while the place gets rebuilt - so behave yourselves and stay off them.

Thanks mate, out of interest which bits are taped off? Our normal route is out through the play area to the top of the main fire road, through twisty tree's, onto new england switchbacks (??) and out by the concrete ring above the jump gully. We normally mess about on the hill opposite before making our way over to the downhill area (usually do a couple of trails through the tree's on the left before we get there), and do the downhill runs and Labyrinth. From there, we pick up singletrack and make our way to the bottom of the hill by the reservoir, follow the fireroad to tank traps and head over to stickler. Once we've done that, we pick up Seagull and then corkscrew before making our way back to the carpark.
    Is there much disruption on these trails?? I'm guessing the answers yes....

PS - invites open to anyone who fancies joining us on Saturday at 8:30
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Stickler and some of Watsons wander are closed right now for sure, not sure if anything else is. I think you'll be ok with the route you normally do.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Most other Radar forum-ites are riding Sunday but i'm being unsociable and riding with others on Sat morn at 9:30am so will probably see you around. Remember to bring change, they now charge you to park at the Lookout incase you were unaware.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • gregwari
    Most other Radar forum-ites are riding Sunday but i'm being unsociable and riding with others on Sat morn at 9:30am so will probably see you around. Remember to bring change, they now charge you to park at the Lookout incase you were unaware.

Thanks, maybe see you about.... I'm the guy riding a black meta 55 who looks like he's recently fallen into a puddle :mrgreen:
  • miss notax
    Actually, this has reminded me... Don't you need some kind of permit thing to ride at Swinley? I assume that I can pay for this when I get there tomorrow?

• benpinnick
    Yes you can, and I think it comes refunded against parking too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miss notax
    Really good ride - first time at Swinley and would definitely go back. Ended up buying a permit and a car park ticket by accident - doh!

• benpinnick
    That's good. And you're helping keep my council tax down with the double purchase too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.