1st full sus - GHOST AMR 5900

G3neral Banter
G3neral Banter Posts: 14
edited December 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hi guys

I have now invested in a GHOST AMR 5900 bought from JKL Bikes in Knottingly. The bike has fox float front and rear suspension, XT crankset and derailleur and Shimano Diore brakes... at £1250 I feel like I've picked up a real bargain!

8255895054_a4b31c3ed0_o.jpg

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Not bad going getting. Refund after 6 months lol I take it you're from Halifax'ish area?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    That's a good step up! Why a full suss over a hardtail though out of interest?
  • DanDax1990 wrote:
    Not bad going getting. Refund after 6 months lol I take it you're from Halifax'ish area?

yeah it took abit of persuasion but got there in the end! basically I got some decent riding out of it and used it as a training bike, but in the end I think I was pushing the bike abit beyond its capabilities which is why ive gone for a full sus.

Initially they only offered to fix, replace or give me in store credit, but Id had enough of Halfords by then and they didn't stock a bike I wanted so I managed to get a refund after a few days pestering them on the phone!

yes im from Brighouse mate, just outside Halifax- are you local?
  • Greer_ wrote:
    That's a good step up! Why a full suss over a hardtail though out of interest?

the hardtails Id been looking at were around the £800 mark so initially I thought id just get a better quality hardtail, but knowing i could get a full sus of the quality of the Ghost for 1250 i thought it would be worth the extra money and will be a better all-rounder particularly since we are doing some pretty challenging routes nowadays and the hardtail felt a little out of its depth.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Really good result. Agree on the full sus choice from what you have said, should be a nice upgrade and you'll enjoy the full sus experience
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 wrote:

yeah it took abit of persuasion but got there in the end! basically I got some decent riding out of it and used it as a training bike, but in the end I think I was pushing the bike abit beyond its capabilities which is why ive gone for a full sus.

Initially they only offered to fix, replace or give me in store credit, but Id had enough of Halfords by then and they didn't stock a bike I wanted so I managed to get a refund after a few days pestering them on the phone!

yes im from Brighouse mate, just outside Halifax- are you local?

I'm from Wibsey, Just off of Halifax Road up near Odsal Roundabout.
  • Nice upgrade mate, I've got one of them and love it. Pity I can't ride it to its full potential :lol:
  • Dredd6969 wrote:
    Nice upgrade mate, I've got one of them and love it. Pity I can't ride it to its full potential :lol:

nice to hear! just waiting for the telephone call to say its arrived!

Looks like it might be tomorrow now...
  • DanDax1990 wrote:
    Where do you ride mate?

got a few local routes I do regularly

Elland Woods is a favourite - some nice technical downhill, but pretty tricky in this weather
    Few shorter 8k-12k routes around Norwood Green, Lightcliffe, Judy Woods
    Longer routes up at Ogden by the wind farms
    Lee Quarry, Rochdale

We are doing the trail centres next year starting in Coed Y Brenin early February - we did it a couple of months ago on hardtails so looking forward to comparing that against my new bike.

How about you?
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Where do you ride mate?

got a few local routes I do regularly

Elland Woods is a favourite - some nice technical downhill, but pretty tricky in this weather
    Few shorter 8k-12k routes around Norwood Green, Lightcliffe, Judy Woods
    Longer routes up at Ogden by the wind farms
    Lee Quarry, Rochdale

We are doing the trail centres next year starting in Coed Y Brenin early February - we did it a couple of months ago on hardtails so looking forward to comparing that against my new bike.

How about you?

Done barely any trails this year tbh, Did Judy Woods a couple of times but wasn't a fan of being harrased by dog walkers saying there's no bikes allowed although the entrance I went though (From the farm track at the bottom end of Woodside estate) clearly had no signs stating this and an official website I checked said bikes are allowed...

This year has mainly been to get my fitness back so was doing a lot of rides down the Greenway cycle path and home through Huddersfield up Huddersfield road through Wyke/Lowmoor. Was tough going keeping up with my brother on his road bike lol but in the summer I was doing 150 mile a week.

Gonna try Ogden and Ilkley next year for definite. I don't drive which sucks. And don't have any friends apart from my brother who're into biking and he's a pansy roadie lol. Looking for people to meet up with and go for rides tbh, Wouldn't mind joining a club if there is any. And for info on where to ride :) If you're ever riding local and want someone to tag along with I'm game. Riding with others should also help me get better on the trails.
  • picked the bike up yesterday and took it for its first ride today! cant believe how much better it rides than my old hardtail!

I have (hopefully) added a quick picture of it in my original post.
  • Hebden Bridge is my favourite ride of all time with Ladybower a close second. :)
  • DanDax1990
    That looks lovely man, I want one! Haha