Buying first road bikes what pedal options did you go for?

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
So many new road bikes don't come with pedals
What option did you go for
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• Mine came with toe straps, discarded these fairly quick and got some r540 pedals. Is there any noticable benefit to going above these?
  • My first road bike; a caad9 I got look keo classics.

I've just sold the caad so my next bike which should be here in a couple of weeks have look keo Max's waiting for it.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Different versions of Time pedals and now on RXS carbon titanium.
    Like the float for my knees
  • I use shimano A530 atm, one sides flat one sides clips.
  • Mine came with toe straps, discarded these fairly quick and got some r540 pedals. Is there any noticable benefit to going above these?

I used to have the R540s and upgraded to the 5700 105 pedals and they're noticably better, if only slightly! The binding feels a lot more positive, cleats snap in and out a lot more sharply regardless of what the binding tension is set at. Would definitely recommend as an entry level road pedal.

A lot of it is down to personal preference though. Jens Voight is a die hard fan of Speedplays and said he'd go as far as choosing his team mates based on what pedals they use! I'm certainly not that fussy.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get M520 SPD pedals. They normally come with an insert that has orange reflectors on it, it can be added very cheaply if it's not standard. At night on an unlit road I find these really let me see cyclists a bit easier and identify them as such rather than a moped or motorbike, they're also a legal requirement.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Thanks for replies been reading and looked up the above

Would have been happy with the r540 but for similar money the 105 version 5700 apparently better and easier tension on and off.

The other option with SPd one side and normal on the other is a nice idea.

M520 are MTb ones though aren't they?

I'm surprised so many just go straight to SPd from a new beginner road bike
    Which then adds shoe options which I will do a search on here ;)
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Look keo, i've always used Look pedals and i always recommend them to mates who start because they're idiot proof and a doddle to use.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    M520 are MTb ones though aren't they?

Yes, I run them on my mtb and my commuter. SPDs are far better if your in traffic a lot as they're easier to get into, no way I'd personally run SPD-SLs on a bike that was in town much. Also you'll find most SPD-SLs shoes are designed for warm climates and are pretty useless in our weather.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Shimano 105 very good pedals i think i paid £30 including cleats
  • Look Keo. Bomb proof & very reliable. Always used Looks, never had any problems.