First Time Buyer

Jamie23
Jamie23 Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Hello folks! Firts time on this forum, so please be gentle!

I started road cycling in September after my friend gave me his old Coppi road bike (its about 10 years old) now I'm looking to buy a new road bike. Problem is I cant make up my mind which one to go for. Since I'm so new I struggle to understand much of the jargon and don't really understand what is good spec and what is bad .
Anyway, I'm looking for a bike under £1000 and my question is - which of the following would you recommend?

*Mekk poggio 2G (This is the one my LBS is trying to flog to me)

*Giant Defy 1

*Giant TCR Composite 3

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    All 3 are reasonable for the money. Key is to get a test ride on them to see which one fits/suits.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks, smidsy!
  • Hi,

I've got a Defy 1 and I absolutely love it. I haven't tried the others to comment though.

With my bike I negotiated £150 of free accessories with my LBS which really made it worth it...always worth a haggle!
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    dyson1590 wrote:
    Hi,

I've got a Defy 1 and I absolutely love it. I haven't tried the others to comment though.

With my bike I negotiated £150 of free accessories with my LBS which really made it worth it...always worth a haggle!

£150 free accessories like what?
    How much was your bike ?
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • Bike was £999, got 4 inner tubes, a Cateye cycling computer, gloves, pedals / cleats and Cateye lights.

:D
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Wow, good work

That's the thing first time buyer who's still looking like me, you push your budget on the bike up and up then add up required accessories, helmet, pedals, pump, lights, locks etc
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • dyson1590 wrote:
    Bike was £999, got 4 inner tubes, a Cateye cycling computer, gloves, pedals / cleats and Cateye lights.

Wow! good work, mate! So, you would recommend the Defy 1 then?
  • Jamie23 wrote:
    dyson1590 wrote:
    Bike was £999, got 4 inner tubes, a Cateye cycling computer, gloves, pedals / cleats and Cateye lights.

Wow! good work, mate! So, you would recommend the Defy 1 then?

Having just come back from a hilly 27 miles on her...yes definitely!! I used the podium points on Pedalon.co.uk to negotiate an equivalent deal with my LBS if that helps :)