New Rourke 953 build

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    OK Here's the ride report!

Went out yesterday for a couple of hours, did 33 miles http://app.strava.com/activities/28263539

First impressions were that the ride is really quite smooth, not the firm/hard ride I was expecting at all. This was confirmed as time went on, particularly over rough roads where even my Condor 531 Pro gives a bone shacking ride, the Rourke was much much smoother, whilst still efficienctly putting the power through the wheels. There is not the vibration coming through the bars that I am used to, its akin to driving a powerful Bentley convertible :D

The reach is a little more than I'm used to, and will give it some time before deciding if I make any changes. I didn't have any problem with my arms, but my back is not that flexible and I would like a more streamlined position if my back is up to it. The extended reach is in part due to the saddle being a little further back than I'm used to, however this leads to a more balanced position as my butt is acting as a counter balance to my torso and arms, so there isn't as much pressure on my hands. I will try lowering the bars and see how my body reacts to that.

The bike is quicker for sure, evidenced by some PRs even though I was not hammering it. I could power over hills more easily and use a higher gear. The 11 speed cassette was a joy giving closer ratios, although the right hand shifter did appear to "jam" on a few occasions when trying to change up and on a middle sprocket. Had to change down first, then it freed up, will keep an eye on that as its not what I expect on such refined equipment.

The record hubs had play in them on my return, I expect due to the grease distributing, nipped them up but again will keep an eye on them.

Very happy in all with the frame, components and fitting. The choice of wheels especially I think is perfect for me, this bike is one for long rides in comfort!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Glad you like the bike, i`m suprised that you feel the need to lower the bars after the fitting though. Will doing that stretch you out further? When you say `the hubs had play in them` , how does this show? I have just spent years spraying my dawes with WD40 and riding it. (these galaxys are bombproof!) . Glad you love the frame and the wheels. i`ve gone for Record hubs on Open Pro`s 32 spokes for comfort myself, keep peddling.
    Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.
  • drlodge
    bluedog99 wrote:
    i`m suprised that you feel the need to lower the bars after the fitting though. Will doing that stretch you out further? When you say `the hubs had play in them` , how does this show?

Its not so much "feeling the need to lower the bars", more the fact that Brian said I could probably drop the bars 10mm since there isn't much saddle-bar drop in the first place, and I'm curious to know how my body will copy with a lower position, since it will certainly be a little more streamlined. However, only I know what my back feels like and how much it will bend.

The play in the wheels was obvious, just holding the rim, both wheels had noticable play in them. But this is similar to what I experienced with my kit car front hubs when I regreased and adjusted them - with some initial use the grease gets distributed which causes some play...nip it up again and its fine.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I've found too-upright-a-position gave me lower back pain... there is an optimum. Im talking about the margin of a 5mm spacer. Fine tuning.

If you're set up too upright/with not enough extension in the arms your back will take the strain your arms do. Especially as you'll have a tendency to bend lower - to your optimum.
  • drlodge wrote:
    bluedog99 wrote:
    i`m suprised that you feel the need to lower the bars after the fitting though. Will doing that stretch you out further? When you say `the hubs had play in them` , how does this show?

Its not so much "feeling the need to lower the bars", more the fact that Brian said I could probably drop the bars 10mm since there isn't much saddle-bar drop in the first place, and I'm curious to know how my body will copy with a lower position, since it will certainly be a little more streamlined. However, only I know what my back feels like and how much it will bend.

The play in the wheels was obvious, just holding the rim, both wheels had noticable play in them. But this is similar to what I experienced with my kit car front hubs when I regreased and adjusted them - with some initial use the grease gets distributed which causes some play...nip it up again and its fine.
    OK ,thanks for hub info. Cheers.
  • Interesting thread...

This is my first post so hello all :)

Very nice bike and good to see the progress.

I was measured up for a Rourke 953 at the start of November so my frame should be ready around May time.

The fitting process for me took around 4 hours and was actually really enjoyable - also had a Eureka! moment when Brian and Gareth got my positioning just right with a fair few adjustments.
    I evidently have long femurs so custom really will fit the bill.

I was interested though how the OP's bike cost 5,000 ?
    Around 2000 for the frame /forks, around 1500 for the groupset, 500 wheels? where did the other 1000 go? :?

cheers
    J
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    finishing kit is not cheap...

bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, pedals, tape, tyres, headset (chain, BB, cassette and cables should be included in the groupset?)
    - your'e right you could easily spend that !
    will be interseting to see the break down of the costs
  • drlodge
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I've found too-upright-a-position gave me lower back pain... there is an optimum. Im talking about the margin of a 5mm spacer. Fine tuning.

If you're set up too upright/with not enough extension in the arms your back will take the strain your arms do. Especially as you'll have a tendency to bend lower - to your optimum.

Interesting. I did 50 miles today with the bar 10mm lower, per Brian's suggestion. I thought this would be too much of a reach/drop for me, but I had no back pain which I do get occasionally, only a slight twinge in my upper arms I think due to the new position. It was really quite comfy, so I think Brian was spot on! I can now see how my Condor bike is setup and tweak that by moving the saddle back a bit and dropping the bars.
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    Interesting thread...

This is my first post so hello all :)

Very nice bike and good to see the progress.

I was measured up for a Rourke 953 at the start of November so my frame should be ready around May time.

The fitting process for me took around 4 hours and was actually really enjoyable - also had a Eureka! moment when Brian and Gareth got my positioning just right with a fair few adjustments.
    I evidently have long femurs so custom really will fit the bill.

I was interested though how the OP's bike cost 5,000 ?
    Around 2000 for the frame /forks, around 1500 for the groupset, 500 wheels? where did the other 1000 go? :?

cheers
    J

I have the price sheet where its all listed (except for the wheels). I will post a summary of this for my own interest too, to see where all the money went. As other have said, the "finishing kit" all adds up...bar, stem, post, tape, shims etc. The frame & forks might have been a smidge over £2k, the CK headset was £120 I think.
    Find me on Strava
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    drlodge wrote:
    A little surprised when I weighed the bike last night, 8kg (17.6lbs) all up, heavier than I thought it would be. Not sure what the frame on its own is, but given I've got Campag SR on it, would have throught it would be lighter. Doesn't worry me though, just wonder how you get a bike under 16lbs other than a lighter carbon frame...?
    Bit late to this thread but my Pegoretti weighs 8.1 kg (7lb 13oz) (inc pedals) with Record 11 speed and Eurus wheels. I was shocked when I took the frame out of the box. I knew it would be heavier than carbon but …. The peg is made out of custom Columbus tubing, not stainless and I guess some would say slightly overbuilt. My Cervelo ways 6.8kg (15 lbs) with the same groupset.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • drlodge
    Thanks...I guess steel is always going to weigh more than the lightest carbon, but I have to say I am really pleased with the way the 953 frame rides. I have never actually ridden a carbon frame, one day I should try one!
    Find me on Strava
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Quick thoughts
    a) You lucky bugger
    b) Bike looks stunning, can't say the paint job would be my first choice but it does look good
    c) Interesting that it's based on a CAAD8 as that's what I ride - 54 as well!! My legs are a bit short for such a 'square' frame though so I have very little seat pin showing
    d) I'm about your age and I found dropping the bars a couple of spacers' worth didn't cause too much back pain - I've got a dicky back following a little car related bump
    e) Does your Mrs/Ms/Mr/other half know how much it cost????????

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • drlodge
    @SecretSam - I've separated from the wife, and my girlfriend certainly knows how much it costs. However its my money and she lets me do with it what I like, in the same way as I let her do with her money what she likes :-)

Re breakdown of costs, here's the rough bill:
    - 953 Frame, Ritchey WCS forks, paint scheme and CK headset: £2190
    - Campag SR grouppo with Chorus chain/cassette £1650
    - saddle/post/bar/stem: £312
    - Wheels complete with tyres etc: £478
    - pedals £100
    - bar tape, stem spacers, fitting: £80
    - other misc, bottle cages £14, pump £27, bag £13.59, tools £26 etc

TOTAL: £4890 :lol::cry: :P :x :wink: :roll: 8) :|
    Find me on Strava
  • "bar tape, stem spacers, fitting: £80"

that seems a lot - what was the "fitting" charge for?

I was quoted 100 pounds to build the bike up as i'll be providing all the parts.
    The actual fitting/measure up is part of the frame cost i thought?
  • drlodge
    "Fitting" was making the bike up (£60), I guess less than you since I was buying the grouppo from BR.
    Find me on Strava
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    You mean you missed the opportunity to build it yourself! For me that's the best part of having a new frame.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • drlodge
    edited July 2013
    I would normally build myself since I enjoy it (did so with the Condor 25 years ago), and I'm more than capable. However, by letting Rourke provide a ready-to-ride bike, I have 100% recourse if there is a problem, whether its a component failure, other mechanical problem or a fitting issue. Its a guarantee if you like.

Here's the full bike breakdown:

Photo:
    8180699746_7e77c5c47c_k_d.jpg

Frame: Rourke 953, custom paint scheme
    Forks: Ritchey Carbon WCS, painted to match frame
    Bars: Ritchey Logic II WCS Wet Black
    Stem: Ritchey WCS Wet Black
    Headset: Chris King
    Bar Tape: Prologo (White)

Front Brake Lever: Campagnolo Super Record 11
    Front Caliper: Campagnolo Super Record 11, dual pivot
    Rear Brake Lever: Campagnolo Super Record 11
    Rear Caliper: Campagnolo Super Record 11, single pivot

Shifters: Campagnolo Super Record 11
    Cables: Campagnolo (black)
    Front Mech: Campagnolo Super Record 11
    Rear Mech: Campagnolo Super Record 11

Seat: Selle SMP Lite 209 in white [change from original spec]
    Seat Post: Ritchey WCS Wet Black
    Seat Post Clamp: Integrated in frame

Cranks: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 172.5mm
    Chainring(s): Compact 34-50
    Chain: Campagnolo Chorus
    Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11 12-27
    Pedals: Look KEO Blade Carbon 16Nm
    Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Super Record 11

Front Wheel:
    Rim: Ambrosio Excellight black
    Spokes: Sapim Laser
    Hub: Record 32H
    Tube: Continental Supersonic
    Tire: Continental GP4000S

Back Wheel:
    Rim: Ambrosio Excellight black
    Spokes: Sapim Race
    Hub: Record 32H
    Tube: Continental Supersonic
    Tire: Continental GP4000S

Accessories:
    - Elite Custom Race Bottle Cage White/Black Logo x2
    - Topeak aero wedge saddle bag (small)
    - Leyzene mini pressure drive pump (small)
    - Topeak Mini 20 Pro Tool Gold
    - Rema TT04 puncture repair kit
    - BBB Easy Lift tyre levers x3

Weight: 8kg 17.6 lb
    Find me on Strava
  • 8kg is a good weight!
  • Thanks for posting the breakdown of costs involved. Did you have to ask for the price sheet or was it given to you at the collection of the bike? Just so i know when mine is ready, cheers.
  • drlodge
    Gareth makes up the price sheet after the fitting, however I asked him to put the precise breakdown of costs for each part (except the separate grouppo parts) so saddle, bars etc individually. I the took a photo of this sheet, and asked Gaz to make copies of all the sheets for my records.
    Find me on Strava
  • OK thanks for that, i will ask when the bike is ready, cheers.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    And how does the frame feel to ride?
  • drlodge
    dakkar wrote:
    And how does the frame feel to ride?

See my ride report above :-) Basically very smooth yet powerful. Really nice.
    Find me on Strava
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Fantastic bike, beautiful paint. Very impressed, very jealous. Go ride.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    Thanks for sharing. Around £2k for custom top of the range stainless steel is not alot.
    A custom carbon with optimised tube set would be easily double the cost. It would be lighter for sure but probably not better. For half the cost difference why not now treat yourself to carbon rims / tubs and instantly drop the weight into the low 16's :wink:

edit: actually, its beautiful, just ride it as it is!
  • How's the bike a few months on?

Mine should be ready at the end of May but i'm having sleepless nights regarding tyre clearances.
    I'm having the same forks - would they fit a 700 x 25c?
    You also mentioned the rear clearance is tight - would that take a 25c?
    I'll speak to the guys at bespoked to ask them about clearances to make sure as i don't want to spend
    serious money on a frame then the tyres won't fit! :shock:
  • drlodge
    Hi there...the bike is great, really pleased with it. The only downside is that I don't want to take it out when the weather's crap, so I'm forced to take out my old bike in this horrid weather.

I myself have bought some 25c 4 Seasons tyres to put on the Rourke, except I haven't gotten around to it yet. I just checked the clearances, given that I spec'd the bike to take "23c tyres, max 25c" so they *should fit*.

The forks are no problem, there's 4-5mm clearance there. The front calipers are a smidge closer...about 4mm when they're open I think but the rear brake calipers are closer still. I make it about 2mm when closed which means 25c tyres are gonna be real tight. If you want to run 25c tyres, might be worth emailing Jase since he can put that rear brake bridge a couple of mm or so higher. I can pm you his email address.
    Find me on Strava
  • Hi there,
    many thanks for your reply and PM :D
    I'm getting very excited - just got a custom saddle for the build (Busyman Kangaroo covered Arione) and a guy form the US is sourcing me some brass cable adjusters for a little extra finishing touch.
    I've emailed Rourke so hope to hear back soon
    cheers
    8)
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    you can get brass cable adjusters from....... Longstaff cycles in Chesterton (about 5 miles from Rourkies!)
    Colnago Addict!