Finding ultimate winter bike? Cant find All that I want

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
I want to build my perfect winter bike but can't find either F + F or built bike which ticks all the boxes. Before I compromise I wonder if anyone can suggest alternatives.

I want:-

- light ish weight
- mounts for guards and rack
- road disc compatible
- uses STi brifters (I have a 105 groupset)
- not too aggressive, somewhere in between as far as height of front end
- reasonable clearance for 25 -28
- carbon framed if at all possible (unlikely I know)
- cheap as I can manage but I do want to get it right so I don't want to spend more in the future so willing to spend for the right frame

Reasons why are I haven't yet found road brakes good enough when it's really wet, tried several options still not happy, so want to try discs. Have a 105 groupset I can transfer over from my current winter bike (the front end is shot and headset won't now work well with frame), so I want to get it right this time and not feel like I am compromising and will want to change things again.

My research so far:-

- pretty much all winter bikes with most of above that I've seen, steel, alu or TI, kenesis, genesis, ribble, Dolan etc won't take discs apart from some steel bikes that are a little too heavy. Top of list is kenesis but I'd like discs!

- on one dirty disco nearly ticks everything, carbon, light etc but no guard and rack mounts

- I've not ridden a Cx bike but I have read that they are agressive and not comfortable for long rides. I don't know how true that is, if they are comfortable then a cx might be the thing.

So:-

- can I make road calipers good enough to brake better in the wet and therefore go for kenesis winter frame? ( trouble I am only going to find out after I've bought and built a new bike)
- is there a bike that isn't astronomically expensive that ticks my list?
- is there a suitable cx bike that is light and fast but not too aggressive?
- is there a carbon bike that does all this?

I've read as many posts as I can and spend weeks searching so I'd appreciate any help. Cheers.

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Most people manage without disc brakes. Dirty rims and pads affect braking hugely so if they are not kept clean that would be a factor. Also, some rims have better braking surfaces than others and then there are the softer pads for wet weather.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/ ... ght/prosix

I have one made up with an Alfine 11 hub, BB7's and its great. Reasonably light etc and seems to tick all your boxes.I also run a Dynamo hub. Gonna get some new lighter wheels made up for it Given the hub weights but aside from that very happy with it.
  • Planet X Kaffenback... there was one discounted at 799 in the clearance corner... if it's your size (a medium) grab it, it's good value... it's a lighter Croix de Fer with very decent components
    left the forum March 2023
  • Planet X Kaffenback... there was one discounted at 799 in the clearance corner... if it's your size (a medium) grab it, it's good value... it's a lighter Croix de Fer with very decent components

Not a bad price, but guess it will be still quite heavy (steel + disc), the Charge Apex was about £680 on Wiggle a few weeks ago, also steel - nice looking bikes.

Dirty Disco is a great looking machine.

Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc would be my ideal bike, ticks a lot of boxes, but pricey and I guess missing the mounts the OP wants.

Interesting to see how you get on with your searches, as its the kind of thing I am looking for, but there is always a compromise :(

I don't want to start a debate, but to me discs make so much sense, blocks rubbing on rims is primitive... sooner or later disc will kick off for road bikes, and weights (if that's a problem) will go down when the technology evolves.
  • bobinski
    Oh, and I have an On One Pompetamine frame that you might be able to bolt all your bits and pieces though I think it has an 135mm rear hub spacing. White, medium and 90MM white planet x stem.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Chinese titanium - possible to get a custom frame to your exact spec for about $1000 - I've had a number of frames like this built by Xi'an titanium for me and others. For rack and guards, you need a chainstay-mounted rear brake. My first one was effectively a Kaffenback in titanium with disc brakes with a bit more tyre clearance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think you are overplaying the importance of frame weight...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone, especially the kaffenback, looks like just the job and 10.5 kg for steel sounds pretty good. Although Im not obsessed about weight 10.5 sounds a lot better than 12 which I've seen quoted for many other steel winter bikes. Like the sound of Chinese TI too, will take a look.

Also liked the kenesis cx, but thought the headtube was quite agressive, do you find it reasonably comfortable?

And finally about brakes, after 100 miles in Forest of Bowland crud on a long winter ride I need all the help I can get! Nearly came a cropper too many times and tried lots of things to try and help, hence wanting discs.
  • bobinski
    Escher303 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, especially the kaffenback, looks like just the job and 10.5 kg for steel sounds pretty good. Although Im not obsessed about weight 10.5 sounds a lot better than 12 which I've seen quoted for many other steel winter bikes. Like the sound of Chinese TI too, will take a look.

Also liked the kenesis cx, but thought the headtube was quite agressive, do you find it reasonably comfortable?

I do, but then i am used to a planetx sl pro and the cx actually feels a little relaxed in comparison. I use a shorter stem so less stretched out on the cx but in fact have just bought a longer stem on these forums to better able replicate the sl pro ride/positioning.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:
    So do I, especially as it's a winter bike you're after ..
  • I second Ugo and napd's comments.

How it rides means everything, weight means almost nothing. I had a kaffenback and loved it, it rides very light.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1
    I have a Jamis Bosanova with a steel frame, discs, clearance for 28-32 tyres, mudguards and racks. All up weight is 14kg and it was a bit of a shock at first but I soon adapted to it. If I can commute nearly 40 miles a day at an average of 18-19mph then it shows weight isn't that important.
    I can't help feeling with your list of needs a CX bike is your best bet. They aren't always that aggresive and a decent shop should be able to get a fit for you.
  • Bar the disc brakes, the Planet X/Lynskey Sportive Titanium would be perfect.

Do you really need discs? Think about it, you have less traction at the tyre so you dont actually want too much braking power on wet/slippy roads. Alloy rims are fine with decent pads. And disc brake wheels are weaker and ugly, especially on a road bike!

25c and 28c tyres fit with SKS mudguards (proper mounts too), you can mount a rear rack if you want, it's got a high front end but still racey geometry (cyclocross bikes will be more relaxed and less responsive on the road), it's titanium so no rust or corrosion ever, no paint to chip or carbon to delaminate!

Amazing ride, super comfy, very quick, very strong and very light. And a work of art to look at.

The ultimate winter road bike IMO!