Xmas Present Phone for £200 ish - any deals??

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
Was looking for a Nexus 4 for my daughter for Xmas, but it doesnt look like there's gonna be any after it sold out on launch day in 10 mins or so.

That was a rival to Samsung Galaxy S3 at £239 for an 8Gb, sim-free.

Now Im looking for the next best deal for that sort of money on an android phone, thought I could get an Xperia S or Xperia P, but all the google shopping sites at the right prices are in English, but are abroad.

Anyone up on phones and good deals that could recommend alternative phones for me to get her?? (gotta be sim-free or pay as you go)

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    dial a phone are pretty on the money

If your set on android then the Galaxy Ace 2 - not a patch on the Nexus4 but if cant get one of those in time then its an ok replacement for £80 less.

If your willing to drop android then the Lumia 800 is a very good phone, nokia apps are smart and include free music - for social media its great, the camera is bloody good too and depending on her age you can get it in pink for £150.

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/pricerange/high/
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Orange San Diego is a good shout as well at about £170.

It is one of the new Intel based phones and there are still a few apps which do not work on non-ARM phones. Site still says it is a Gingerbread phone be a quick Google reveals that Ice Cream Sandwich is already being rolled out.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mr_poll wrote:
    If your willing to drop android then the Lumia 800 is a very good phone, nokia apps are smart and include free music - for social media its great, the camera is bloody good too and depending on her age you can get it in pink for £150.

http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/pricerange/high/

Seconded on the outgoing/gone Lumia 800 - it's just been replaced with the 820, so you might be able to find a cheap 800 still in stock somewhere. Has Facebook, twitter, and whatsapp - which is in essence all the yoof seem to require these days. It is a MicroSIM though, if you're thinking of her just dropping it in the phone on Christmas Day.