Leg Warmers or Bib Tights

Churchill123
Churchill123 Posts: 341
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
So I'm pretty new at all this, but I went out on Saturday morning, and about 15miles into my ride I couldn't feel my feet (need some overshoes) My legs were also pretty cold - only realized when i'd stopped.

So my question is, am I better off just buying a pair of Gore bib tights or buying some leg warmers to wear with my current bib shorts?

Comments

• Personally I just bought some tights to go over my bib shorts. They do the job really well and also mean that if I'm cycling and find that I'm getting too hot then I can just take them off. Plus I can wear them for short local rides to friends houses, where I don't really feel I need the padding from my bib shorts. The ones I bought are these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-rouba ... ist-tight/
  • pheez
    pheez Posts: 8
    I wear Bib tights when it feels anything under 5 degrees. Leg warmers between 5-10 degrees. Knee warmers 10-15. I only do this as I have accumulated all the bits over a couple of years previously I would just wear bib tights when it felt cold.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bought some Funkier thermal bib tights, nice fit but actually not warm enough when it gets near 5deg C. Bought some Endura leg warmers, and they are actually warmer, party due to the fact that I themn have 2 layesr over my quads. I also have the option of using my non-thermal leg warmers over the bib tights...non padded bib tights over shorts also have the benefit of 2xlayers over your quads.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    For me regular shorts plus leg warmers. I've never felt the need for specific bib tights.

I guess it's a personal choice.
  • I have both. These http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superr ... bib-tight/ and some dhb leg warmers. The bib tights keep my legs warm, but the leg warmers do a good job there too. The difference i find is water retention. The warmers tend to hold water when they get wet, and the tights do a much better job of keeping water repelled.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Both, when it's cold and going to stay that way (winter) use the bib tights, when it's cold but looks like it may get nicer (autumn/spring) use warmers, and take them off once warmed up.
  • My vote is resoundingly for bib tights.

It's worth noting that for training and sportive events 'the professionals' will often wear knee or leg warmers when many amateurs would wear just shorts, and tights when many amateurs would wear knee or leg warmers; wearing tights from as early as late August*. That's not to say that they do it and therefore so should you, but being cold doesn't do any good for you either. I used to wear shorts all year round but now that I wear tights (just unpadded DHB ones over the top), I don't think I would want to go back.

*See for example:
    rwb176b.jpg
  • I wear bib tights over long johns ........... because I am a soft southerner. Being warm is all that matters.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Flasher wrote:
    Both, when it's cold and going to stay that way (winter) use the bib tights, when it's cold but looks like it may get nicer (autumn/spring) use warmers, and take them off once warmed up.

+1

Leg warmers have their place - but winter isnt it. Get some nice thermal tights to wear over your shorts. I guess your shorts are just Lycra ? So your thighs and bits would be colder than the rest of your legs if you got thermal legs.
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    fish156 wrote:
    For me regular shorts plus leg warmers. I've never felt the need for specific bib tights.

I guess it's a personal choice.

I've got both but it's all about leg warmers & my normal bib-shorts now. I tend to cook in bib-tights and I prefer the cooler feel of shorts & leg warmers - never feel cold though.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Sorry - half hijacking this thread but I'm after a few opinions on padded and non-padded bit tights and regular, non-padded tights.

I'm currently wearing padded bib-shorts and leg warmers and I'm about to start shopping for tights. So I can go and get proper padded bib tights but then I see a few posts about wearing unpadded bib-tights over padded bib-shorts. What are folks pros and cons for this.

Similarly, if I've got padded bib-shorts on, why would I wear unpadded bib-tights, if I could get unpadded tights to wear over the top without the braces?
  • cougie
    Up to you but I was my shorts after every ride. You might get a couple of rides out of your un padded tights with shorts. Plus I have plenty of bib shorts I might not wear outside (last years colours or just bad choices) so I can always wear them underneath.
  • Regarding unpadded vs padded, it really just comes down to how comfortable your shorts are and how often you're likely to want to wear tights. If you're happy with the comfort of your shorts and don't want to spend too much go unpadded. if you are happy to spend a bit more go padded, as even if you are happy with your shorts then wearing them all winter will only wear them out faster.

Personally I prefer padded just for the simplicity, the DHB Vaeons are pretty unbeatable in the 50 quidish price bracket.

Also you seem to be thinking about getting normal waist tights instead of bibs if you're wearing them over bib shorts? This is a mistake, one of the advantages of bibs is the fact that you don't need an elastic waistband which causes discomfort.

I find it unbelievable that people are still wearing shorts/warmer combos, I wear tights pretty much from late September! :oops:
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    18c - 15c shorts and knee warmers.

15c-12c roubaix shorts and roubaix leg warmers

12c - 7c roubaix shorts and roubaix leg warmers, plus embrocation on the knees.

Tights below 7c for me.

If you are out for a longer ride in winter, tights are probably more comfortable being a single piece of clothing, compared to leg warmers, where you may have to stop and keep adjusting (pulling them up). I've been known to wear tights over leg warmers when it gets to about 0c.

As with all this stuff its personal preference and depends on how much your body feels the cold etc.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Thanks for all the great feedback! - Currently have Santini bibs (v.good but not had long, time will tell) i've been looking at Gore tights and some other winter bits such as cap for under helmet and some better winter gloves, Gore possibly too.. what are peoples experiences with Gore stuff?

Another question on a slight side ways step, has anyone had issues with bib tights rubbing on saddle bags that are velcro attached to your saddle rails.. Starting to rub on my bib shorts and obviously don't want to wear a hole in them.. whats the way to stop this happening?

Thanks in advance!
  • cougie
    You need to get rid of the Velcro. Tape over it or get another bag.
  • As above you need to stop that velcro rubbing somehow.

Gore stuff is excellent quality, not personally a fan of the styling but if you like it then I don't think you can go far wrong with it.
  • What would be excellent quality with good styling then mike... whats a perfect half way house if you like :)
  • Looks wiseI like Castelli and exteondo stuff, quite expensive but then so is Gore I think.

If you like it go for it though, I don't actually particularly dislike any of Gore's styling there's just others I prefer. It's certainly not in any way offensive and they do have a very good reputation for quality. To be honest if you're buying tights then they'll just be plain black anyway I imagine?

I mentioned earlier about DHB tights, for the price they are superb. I reckon you'd have to spend near enough £100 before you found a product that was notably better.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Was out last night and this morning, nearly freezing. Wore both leg warmers with shorts (first, on the legs), then some not-quite-skin-tight leggings which are pretty good. Legs stayed nice and warm, wouldn't be the case just with one or the other. So when it gets cold - use both!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I've got short legs so have given up on tights, never found a pair which felt right, but do have a couple of pairs of 3/4's that I wear from time to time usually on the MTB. This year however I've gone for a pair of thermal shorts (assos T.607) with leg warmers, so no folding up at the bottom, knees in the wrong place etc. etc. so find it miles better for me.
    £20 replacing a pair of leg warmers was also cheaper than a new pair of tights after putting a big hole in one of the knees after a recent off as well.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Deffo tights. Don't get a cold back and they don't fall down :P