Updated Cervelo R5 VWD

lovestheclimb
lovestheclimb Posts: 483
edited January 2013 in Your road bikes
I (as many others) managed to get my hands on a Cervelo R5 VWD.
As mentioned by other posts the frame and forks were crazy light and looks perfect!
I have started building it up but work has stopped me but thought I'd put up a picture of what it looks like so far.
The only changed to the standard frame was the spacer which goes over the headtube, the fsa one which came was a bit high and i thought ugly so swapped it out with a bit of diy with a smaller one.
frame has not been properly sorted yet as in fit wise but all is looking promising.

Enjoy

8334460127_6122e66570_z.jpg

^^^^^ updated picture after a slippery ride

Comments

• BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    This is a beautiful bike! What wheels are those? They look really low profile. Those brakes look interesting too, what are those? A full spec list would be good.
  • Yes what wheels are they???
  • They are Hed stinger 2.5 wheels, they are super light tubs.
    the wheels feel like proper tubs; stick to the road!
    I am looking to sell them thought for £300 including swisstop yellow pads.....

they are ultegra grey 6700 brakes just haven't set them just yet
  • Spec List

Cervelo R5 VWD Frame and Forks
    SRAM Red 2013 Exogram Chainset 53/39
    Dura Ace 7900 Levers, F & R Mech
    Ultegra 6700 Grey Brake Callipers
    Ultegra 6700 Carbon pedals
    Hed Stinger 2.5 Carbonlite Low Profile Tubular wheels w/ Continental competition tubs
    Carbon X-Ti Skewers
    3T Ltd Stem & Seatpost
    3T Pro Ergosum Bars
    Arundel Gecko Grop Bar tape Black
    Saddle: Fizik Antares 00 Braided
    SRAM Octalink Chain
    SRAM Exoglide XG1090 11-25 Cassette
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Love the wheels and the bike, I had the same problem with my R5 headset spacer, found a lower one....again with a bit of diy!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Fun y question but do they do them in clinchers???
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    Fun y question but do they do them in clinchers???

not as far as I am aware, you can buy these off me if you'd like?

Are in pristine condition, can send some close ups if you are interested
  • Thanks for the offer but I'm not ready for tubs yet! Don't think I'd be comfortable with them!
  • dotcom
    dotcom Posts: 11
    Hi,

Thinking of getting an R5 or a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX can you give me any feedback to aid my decision?
    I think they are both stiff and light, the only main difference is the cable routing and price maybe
  • Cervelo is the best choice in my opinion although I could be considered a little bit of a fanboy.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice frame. Well done for matching the finishing kit. I prefer Shimano over SRAM, but that's personal obviously.

Very nice.

Would look awesome with some R-SYS SLR.
  • Nice frame. Well done for matching the finishing kit. I prefer Shimano over SRAM, but that's personal obviously.

Very nice.

I have to agree!!
  • Nice frame. Well done for matching the finishing kit. I prefer Shimano over SRAM, but that's personal obviously.

Very nice.

I agree regarding the finishing kit does look good when it all matches.

I went for a SRAM chainset as it has bb30 and didn't need to run any adapters, as well as I had it at home and didn't need to go buy a new one.
  • dotcom wrote:
    Hi,

Thinking of getting an R5 or a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX can you give me any feedback to aid my decision?
    I think they are both stiff and light, the only main difference is the cable routing and price maybe

I was weighing up between these two bikes but I went for the Cervelo as I always wanted one and the thing that swung it for me was the warranty, I believe cervelo have made it life time where as canyon is 6 years.
    both great bikes, just go for which one you prefer the geometry and look of that means you will ride it more
  • And what's the problem with running cervelos on bb adapters? I'm running 3!!
  • Fevmeister wrote:
    And what's the problem with running cervelos on bb adapters? I'm running 3!!

Nothing, just made it a lot easier to slot it straight in, as my alternative was to use a gxp chainset which required odd adapters due to the size of the bbright shell.
  • Updated picture (main picture), the bike has been properly set up to me now and all i need is to cut the steerer tube, going to change the stem to a 3t stealth team as I think the ltd is too chunky, wheels are awesome and the braking is incredible even in the wet.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That looks great! Could you take a pic without the saddle bag and from more of a rear 3/4 angle?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    That looks great! Could you take a pic without the saddle bag and from more of a rear 3/4 angle?

Thanks Nap, Yes will sort more pictures of the bike.

by 3/4 angle do you mean slightly off looking from behind to the front?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Stupid question it seems from your set up but I thought you couldn't fit BB30 chainsets to R5's (other than s900/950 or s901/951 ones)? BBright is 30mm so that's fine but I thought the "axle" wasn't long enough with BB30. Did you have any issues fitting it?