Sensa Romagna Special

JohnnySelfDestruct
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Sensa Romagna Special that has been reviewed on this site? I've been looking at quite a few different options like the Cannondale CAAD10 105 or the Felt F5 2012 but at the Romagna price range I don't need to bother with financing etc. The review on here looks good but I just wanted to know if anyone has actually used one, don't want to throw away money on a problem bike for the sake of a few 100 £'s extra!

Comments

• snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Sensa Romagna Special that has been reviewed on this site? I've been looking at quite a few different options like the Cannondale CAAD10 105 or the Felt F5 2012 but at the Romagna price range I don't need to bother with financing etc. The review on here looks good but I just wanted to know if anyone has actually used one, don't want to throw away money on a problem bike for the sake of a few 100 £'s extra!

I've got one & I love it.

What do you wanna know?
  • Thanks for the response. I'm really just wondering if it's really as good as the review makes out. I know that more money doesn't necessarily mean a better bike but keep getting distracted by bikes at the £1k range and more :D
    I'm not bothered about commuting or anything sensible like that so the Romagna seems to be perfect, plus it leaves me with enough money to buy a decent tubo!
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    Thanks for the response. I'm really just wondering if it's really as good as the review makes out. I know that more money doesn't necessarily mean a better bike but keep getting distracted by bikes at the £1k range and more :D
    I'm not bothered about commuting or anything sensible like that so the Romagna seems to be perfect, plus it leaves me with enough money to buy a decent tubo!

i'm using mine for commuting - the downside of which is that it's getting filthy, but the positives are that my commute is fast and fun!but i do use it for leisure rides too

i honestly cant fault it at all, considering the merlin sale and the specification you get for the price. I've had quite a few comments from others about the bike also as it does stand out with it not being one of the commonly seen road bike names on the road.

i was also considering a spesh allez sport at the time - this (sensa) just felt so much better (to me!) after riding them both - I find it very very quick yet comfortable to ride.

let me know if there's anything specific you want to know in more detail........
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi,

Just wondering how much you will be paying for the bike.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Glad to hear that you're enjoying the bike! I might see if they have one in stock and visit the store on Saturday as they have the 54 and 56cm size in and one of those should be the right fit. Not too bothered about getting filthy due to the lack of mudguards etc as it's going to be more of a keep fit bike rather than anything else, I've started to think that going to the gym all the time to ride a stationary bike or run on a treadmill is a bit daft when you live in one of the more scenic bits of North Wales, might as well get out an about a bit :D

Ademort - It's currently on sale at £725 which seems a good price considering the spec
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/sensa-bikes/sensa-romagna-special-2013.html
  • davet2
    davet2 Posts: 44
    I've got one, its lovely...great spec compared to anything else but I've not ridden the competition. Mine was mail order, which I was nervous of, but I shouldn't of been.
  • ...Thought I'd made up my mind to get the Romagna but am currently beign tempted by the Felt F6 Apex for sale on Wiggle. I seriously put less thought (or at least had less choice) in the last new car I bought, don't know how anyone manages to make up their mind with the choice of bikes out there!
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    15 mins to buy a house, 3 months to decide which bike - sums most of us up i imagine.....
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • mhj999
    ...and i've just had a Sensa delivered - it's the Guilia so a bit more money but it is amazing - Sensa offer great value for money.
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    FWIW over on the Dutch cycling forums they cannot speak highly enough of Sensa bikes, apparently the whole range is excellent. In fact having read the forum comments i might just be investing in a new bike soon.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    It looks sexy, what else matters?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    But how will the Sensa cope with Hills? :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • i think this sensa looks superb and great value for money, anyone got any experience of this?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -2013.html
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    mhj999 wrote:
    ...and i've just had a Sensa delivered - it's the Guilia so a bit more money but it is amazing - Sensa offer great value for money.

Think I have just spotted my next bike......
  • Sensa are taking the market by storm. Excellent value, excellent bikes.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Been to the store today just to make sure I order the right size, decided on a 54cm frame, hope to take delivery pretty soon and am looking forward to really getting a chance to try it out in anger! Some of the other bikes in the Sensa range also looked great but for now I thought it best to start at the lower end and (more than likely) upgrade in the future. Thanks to everyone for letting me know how you've got on with these bikes :D
  • mhj999
    zx6man wrote:
    mhj999 wrote:

Think I have just spotted my next bike......

Go for it - you won't be disappointed!
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Not sure I had words of encouragement from the MRs.....

Me: Have a look at this dear...
    Wife: Thats nice...F*&K OFF.

I have to hatch a cunning plan.
  • I've just ordered one of these and can't wait to get it now !
  • Picked up my bike last Saturday, had a turbo delivered midweek so that even if it was awful outside I could at least ride it...instead I've been sick since Saturday and unable to do anything, roll on 2013 :D
  • Hi there

I was just wondering if you could provide some guidance on the sizing of the Romagnas? I am literally about to pull the trigger on one (and a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s to go with it) but am very wary of ordering the wrong size.

I emailed Merlin and they suggested a 60cm frame (I am 184 cm tall with 85 cm inseam) but having completed the competitivecyclist.com bike calculator I seem to fall within the 56cm bike. My measurements and the results are below.

Measurements
    Inseam: 85
    Trunk: 69
    Forearm: 32
    Arm: 65
    Thigh: 59
    Lower Leg: 56
    Sternal Notch: 152
    Total Body Height: 184

The Competitive Fit (cm)
    Seat tube range c-c: 55.1 - 55.6
    Seat tube range c-t: 56.8 - 57.3
    Top tube length: 55.0 - 55.4
    Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
    BB-Saddle Position: 78.9 - 80.9
    Saddle-Handlebar: 53.1 - 53.7
    Saddle Setback: 4.5 - 4.9

Do you mind me asking what size you are and which size bike you bought?

Can anyone else confirm that my understanding of the above sizings, when looking at the Romagna geometry chart (http://www.merlincycles.com/resources/files/romagna_geo.pdf) , mean I should be looking at a 56cm bike?

Many thanks as always

Matt
  • Hi,

I'm not sure on the exact measurements as I actually visited the store and tried both the 54cm and 56cm sizing out. I'm 5'9 and ended up with the 54cm frame as the 56cm was just a tad too big for optimal comfort. Being a good 3"+ taller than myself I can imagine that the 56cm frame might be too small for you as it almost fit myself....hope that's of some use to you!
  • Any more info on these beauties from the guys who bought them? How you all getting on with them, seriously considering one of these to get me off my slick-clad MTB. :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • bezzin
    bezzin Posts: 1
    Also interested in any feedback on this - v tempting buy, but I'm London based so can't really take for a test ride. Would be my first road bike. Also considering these two from Evans - advantages are that I can get them on finance (a sad reality) and I can test them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mod ... e-ec043962

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec044212

Obviously more VFM with Sensa, but then there is the mail order risk....
  • im currently looking for a new bike for 2013 and the sensa keeps popping up, i have 2 in mind the romagna or the toscana..over £250 difference in price but one is carbon (never had a carbon bike) so i look forward to hearing from anyone who has bought the toscana
  • bezzin wrote:
    Also interested in any feedback on this - v tempting buy, but I'm London based so can't really take for a test ride. Would be my first road bike. Also considering these two from Evans - advantages are that I can get them on finance (a sad reality) and I can test them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mod ... e-ec043962

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec044212

Obviously more VFM with Sensa, but then there is the mail order risk....

You can finance the Sensa through Merlin, I also think it's interest free.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • well ive just got myself a sensa, i managed to pick up a trentino sl custom 2013 with ultrega and mavic askium wheels....its brand new and never been rode and i got it for £600 cash :shock: what an ebay bargain
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    well ive just got myself a sensa, i managed to pick up a trentino sl custom 2013 with ultrega and mavic askium wheels....its brand new and never been rode and i got it for £600 cash :shock: what an ebay bargain

You jammy so and so :twisted: I'm looking at the exact same one with the same spec is it any good.Is it more of a training bike or could it be used for racing as well
  • oh you could use it for racing, its a different world compared to the cannondale caad8 i have and thats a decent bike :lol: ....still cant believe i only paid £600 for it :lol:
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    oh you could use it for racing, its a different world compared to the cannondale caad8 i have and thats a decent bike :lol: ....still cant believe i only paid £600 for it :lol:

Cheers. Going up to Merlin in a couple of weeks to have a look for myself.