Rear Shimano gear snapped off! Help please?

rik_t
rik_t Posts: 13
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I was out cycling today, the bike got quite muddy due to the very boggy ground. Then the chain suddenly went loose. When I looked at the rear of the bike I found the rear Shimano gear had just snapped off. This is only the second ride on the bike.
Problem is I got it private sale off eBay but the bike was brand new and boxed so probably got no support.

Can anyone help me, I'm completely unsure how to replace this.

DSCN2309.jpg
DSCN2308.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    That is the replaceable hanger that has snapped. It is designed to snap if the gears are knocked or incorrectly set, allowing the gears to go into the spokes. It snapping has just saved your frame. Take it to your local bike shop and het them to replace it (approx. £15 +fitting) and set up the rest of the bike while it's there.
  • New rear mech hanger needed, easy fix :wink:

Get one from your Local Bike Shop and have a go at fitting it, of not I can fit it and re-index for you on the 9th
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    check ebay for the correct hanger

should be cheaper and the swap over is very easy
  • rik_t
    Thanks, took it to Halfords, they want £21 for gear hanger 116 and then £10 gear service to fit it.
    Wondering if Decathlon would be better, its £20 for the hanger on eBay so Halfords is a good price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Takes about 5 minutes and an allen key to fit it yourself, screw the broken bits off bike and mech, fit new hanger, reattach mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Can I point out that it's happened once and you didn't realize anything was wrong, may be worth getting a qualified mechanic to check the whole bike? Might save more money in the long run.
  • rik_t
    Yeah, I was thinking the same, the parts online are the same as Halfords want, then Halfords only need £10 to fit it and sort out gears so best to pay the £10 and get it all checked out.
  • Rik.

As said above, I'm happy to fit the mech hanger and re-align the gears if necesary. I'll happily give it a thorough check over for you too.. All you need todo is bring your bike and mech hanger :wink: