Rose Xeon CRS 3000 Vs Canyon Ultimate CF

daveyruthers
daveyruthers Posts: 129
edited December 2012 in Road buying advice
Was just after peoples thoughts about which is the better to go for. The Rose is slightly more expensive however seems really light and has internal cable routing. I cant seem to find many reviews on the Rose and dont know anyone who has one.
Never bought a bike mail order before so would like to know if its worth the risk.
Bianchi Via Nirone
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0

Comments

• I don't think internal cable routing is one of the tick boxrs you need when deciding on a bike. Sizing, frame quality, standard of components & wheels & price. Do a google search on reviews for each bike & you can always use the search facility on here too. I have recently recieved my Ultimate CF frameset & am well pleased. Deluvery & overall service was faultless & Conrad the UK customer services chap was very helpful & informative. Canyon are pretty much best VFM bikes. Quite a few on here have one & love them. Don't know much about Rose, but they are German so will be pretty good. Get the Canyon, they are sweet!
  • I take your point about the cable routing, its just that the bikes have pretty much the same spec. The only difference between two is the internal routing and the rose is marginally lighter. I am nervous about spending loads of wedge and the bike not fitting. I have tried to contact Canyon quite a bit on the london number but never seem to get an answer!
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • I was faced with a similar decision last year. In the end I went for a Rose due to them actually having stock and also because you could customise the spec to a certain degree meaning my bike is a little bit different to the stock config.

My personal experience of Rose is that they provide excellent customer service, although I expect Canyon would have similar German efficiency.

Sizing was not such a big problem for me as I would have got the smallest option for either manufacturer. From what I've read their online size calculators seem to be pretty accurate.
  • Email them, they never pick up the phone.
  • Does anyone have either of the bikes to help me out? Much appreciated.

Emailed Canyon awaiting response.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • I received my CRS 3100 last week. Only put a few miles on it but I have zero regrets so far. I upgraded from an Allez and its obviously going to be step up. I have hear criticism that it isn't very comfy compared to other frames. But I haven't had any issues, maybe I will feel it after a longer ride.

I love the design. For me personally, swoopy/curvy frames are a bit ugly. This has a more 'traditional' look to it. Straight tubes no fancy bits etc.
    Price wise I haven't seen much that can compete with the Spec: Ultegra Di2, Ksyrium elites, Pro logo saddle and 3t finishing Kit. for under £1900. There is literally no cost cutting. Even the chain is Ultegra.

Rose service is amazing, they responded to all emails within minutes. I would not use their Frame size calculator however. I think I would have ended up with a frame that too small if I had.

The bike will take about month to turn up, so be prepared for a wait. Mine turned up in perfect condition and really well set up. Parcel force handle the UK delivery and they are s**t though. Lost about a week of time waiting for them to sort themselves out. And obviously any issues with the frame will take a long time to sort out even with warranty.

Longer run this weekend hopefully! If you have any questions let me know.
  • You probably cant go too wrong with either. i personally have a Rose Cross Pro, as stated above the service from Rose was fantastic, if you do go for the Rose remember to sign up for the vip program, you will get a good amount of points to spend on other goodys.
  • Just been comparing the spec of the two and they are identical apart from the VCLS seat post. Think the clean lines of the Rose do it for me and the internal routing.

How did you manage to get the 3100 for £1900??????
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Just been comparing the spec of the two and they are identical apart from the VCLS seat post. Think the clean lines of the Rose do it for me and the internal routing.

Quick look on Rose site - This is a 2012 model though and only a few left.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:557069
  • rando wrote:
    Just been comparing the spec of the two and they are identical apart from the VCLS seat post. Think the clean lines of the Rose do it for me and the internal routing.

Thats the one. I may be wrong but I dont think they have updated the frame. Just a fresh paint job and a few tweaks to the spec (all stuff that you can change in the Configurator)
  • What's the score with the bigger back tyre? Can you change this down to a 23 to match the front or does it not make any difference anyway?

I am quite tempted by the 2012 3000 only £1500!!
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    I can't decide between the Xeon CRS 3000 or the Xeon RS3000 which is the alu frame version but much cheaper at £1270. Spoke with Rose and they thought the RS3000 was just as good a ride as the CRS (but then probably they would if they thought I might buy one).
  • Is it comfortable? Bike radar review seems to suggest its a bad ride
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    Is it comfortable? Bike radar review seems to suggest its a bad ride

Do you mean the Xeon RS ? If so then I personally don't know but Rose seem to suggest it was (sales talk ?). Like you I have read reviews that state both the Xeon CRS & RS are not that comfortable but then the Rose Pro bikes in both carbon & alu get decent reviews for comfort. Suppose it is such an individual thing that until you try the bike you won't know but unfortunately with Rose & Canyon a test ride is not possible.
  • I don't have any comfort problems with my Xeon CRS-5000, but then I don't have much to compare it against other than my steel framed s/s commuter and my alu framed, carbon fork hybrid which got nicked. The ride is definitely better than both of those.

I quite like the Conti Force & Attack arrangement of 24mm rear and 22mm front, but again I can't make any comparisons to 23/23 or 25/25.

I don't think you'd regret taking the plunge on either a Rose or Canyon.
  • Damn, Rose just sent me another new catalog, mmm disk brake equipped road bikes for a reasonable price, not to sure on some of the new paintjobs though
  • does anyone know where the rose frames are made?
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando wrote:
    I can't decide between the Xeon CRS 3000 or the Xeon RS3000 which is the alu frame version but much cheaper at £1270. Spoke with Rose and they thought the RS3000 was just as good a ride as the CRS (but then probably they would if they thought I might buy one).

I think in this situation the answer is go with your gut!
  • rando
    rando wrote:

I think in this situation the answer is go with your gut!

Unfortunately I can't lose my gut so it has to come with me. :oops:
  • Were you able to purchase your bike just using a visa debit card? or did it have to be a credit card???
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Price wise I haven't seen much that can compete with the Spec: Ultegra Di2, Ksyrium elites, Pro logo saddle and 3t finishing Kit. for under £1900. There is literally no cost cutting. Even the chain is Ultegra..

Does the Di2 come already set up for you, so it's ready to go??
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • I had a mechanic do a check of everything when it arrived and for the Di2 he spent about 5 minutes fine tuning the rear mech, the Limits settings were fine straight out of the box. I think they must have put some work into getting everything lined up reasonably close when it was built.

I think i could have ridden it without any fettling tbh though.

I would be surprised if they didn't take debit cards.
  • rando
    rando wrote:

Thats the one. I may be wrong but I dont think they have updated the frame. Just a fresh paint job and a few tweaks to the spec (all stuff that you can change in the Configurator)

Looks like the 2012 discontinued bikes now do not let you change stuff in the configurator. I have put a 2012 Xeon CRS in and no options come up so maybe they have withdrawn this on 2012 bikes.
  • Yeah it wasn't working for me. Decided to go with the Di2 model
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    Yeah it wasn't working for me. Decided to go with the Di2 model

The Xeon CRS or Xeon RS ?
  • CRS. Never had a carbon bike so wanted to give it a whirl
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    CRS. Never had a carbon bike so wanted to give it a whirl

Splendid. Enjoy. Great spec for the money.
  • You going to get one then Rando??
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • rando
    You going to get one then Rando??

I have an Xeon CRS and RS in the configurator but only in mechanical ultegra. I am also very tempted by the Canyon Ultimate AL9.0 ES. I am crap at making decisions though !!
  • I'm also struggling to decide between a Rose and a Canyon.

Am moving towards the 2013 ROSE Xeon CRS-3100 with Ultegra Di2, but then I get drawn to the 2012 model as it's £500 cheaper, but then you can't configure the 2012 model so I go back to preferring the 2013.

And the Canyon Ultimate SLX 7.0 also looks good but it'd cost a few hundred quid more than the Rose to get Di2. And it'd be March at the earliest before I could get the bike, unless I went for an Aeroad 7.0 Di2, which they have in stock.

Repeat ad nauseam.