Neale1978
Neale1978 Posts: 484
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Hey,

First i thought of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150933168155? ... 1423.l2649

But then spotted these which are the 'extreme' version and £10 more

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360487113841? ... 1423.l2649

Are they really going to be better than the cheaper pair?

cheers

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It looks like the first pair are waterproof but not winter insulated.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That first one actually says "communter" :D
  • Sooo pay the extra yurp :roll:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would recommend these Sealskinz. Same shop, a few quid more (but still £7 off rrp). The bonuses are that they are high viz (clear hand signals!) and 2) I have had Sealskins in the past and when they stopped being waterproof after 3 years, Sealskinz replaced them free of charge! You won't get that with many brands.
    $(KGrHqFHJFIF!8FHlVDLBQbZOyT9+Q~~60_1.JPG
    These are warm and comfy, and I wear an additional liner on very cold long rides.

BTW Highonbikes is a great shop, always deliver next day.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    alfablue wrote:
    I would recommend these Sealskinz. Same shop, a few quid more (but still £7 off rrp). The bonuses are that they are high viz (clear hand signals!) and 2) I have had Sealskins in the past and when they stopped being waterproof after 3 years, Sealskinz replaced them free of charge! You won't get that with many brands.
    $(KGrHqFHJFIF!8FHlVDLBQbZOyT9+Q~~60_1.JPG
    These are warm and comfy, and I wear an additional liner on very cold long rides.

BTW Highonbikes is a great shop, always deliver next day.

Bloody hell, my Sealskinz gloves stopped being waterpoof after 30mins the first time I used them in the rain!
    More problems but still living....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have had lots of waterproof failures, with many brands, including Gore; often a mystery. With my last pair of Sealskinz gloves the mistake I made was to put them on the radiator :oops:

My current pair have been going strong for the last 6 months.

Given the unreliability of many so-called waterproof products I now stick to brands / fabrics that will give me decent backup; for example, Gore give a lifetime warranty, I have had 4 or 5 new and upgraded jackets using this over the years; Sealskinz replaced 3 year old gloves (as above); Altura, on the other hand )or their distributor) do not back the product adequately (I'll leave it at that), and eVent fabric (which is great whilst it stays waterproof) will not give any "Gore-like" warranty, yet the clothing costs as much, so I steer clear.

I am no longer surprised when things stop being waterproof, I just console myself that I may have spent a little more to get free replacement when it happens :?
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Those second RSP ones in the link look just the same as some of the sealskinz ones. Or is that just me?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    For £10 just get the dearer ones. It's all trial and error anyway and no two folk will like the same thing.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Strith wrote:
    Those second RSP ones in the link look just the same as some of the sealskinz ones. Or is that just me?

I thought that, they looks just like these:

sealskinz-winter-gloves-11-zoom.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix Apex
  • Cheers for the input

I'll go with the rsp 'extreme'. After seeing this video it seems as if you could use them for drinking a nice hot cuppa out of and iam taken by that 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoDQrT ... r_embedded