Worthwhile crankset upgrade?

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice
Currently have a sram rival crank with 53/39 now I've decided to drop down to 50/34 as this much better suites my riding, but do I just buy some new chainrings or a whole cranksets? Was looking at something like the sram Red, or FSA SL-K? Any opinions welcome!

Comments

• You need a new chainset, compact rings won't fit a standard chainset. Buy the one above the bottom of the range, that typically is good enough, whatever that is for SRAM
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got an FSA slk light on one bike and Sram Red/black on another and i can't fault either, i also used an SLK light chainset before the Sram Red chainset and that did thousands of faultless miles, the megaexo BB was fine too.

I happen to have a new Sram red/black compact chainset that is available after a project was shelved.
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Rival is the stiffest crankset SRAM make (not the lightest though)... the carbon is just bling.

The SRAM Red/Black above will go well colour scheme-wise with Rival though.
  • Thanks for the input, no other recommendations? Think these were about right for what I was looking for.

Bozman What you looking for the Sram Red crankset then? Was going to wait until earlier next year, but for the right price seine may have to have a handmade Xmas present instead...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    Thanks for the input, no other recommendations? Think these were about right for what I was looking for.

Bozman What you looking for the Sram Red crankset then? Was going to wait until earlier next year, but for the right price seine may have to have a handmade Xmas present instead...

Are you after BB30 or gxp bb because it's a gxp. PM me if you are seriously interested.
  • Gxp, I'll inbox you now buddy