Flat Pedals

bullhorn kid
bullhorn kid Posts: 4
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi im new to the forum and been doing abit of cross country MTB but just bought a full suss and started doing abit of down hill MTB :D , Now i have started i lov it but my 1st problem is im getting a little faster and ive noticed that i could do with more grip on the pedals dont like the clips but i have been looking at some DMR v12 or MG1 has anyone got any ideas?
p.s dont want to spend a fortune either :?
Thanxs

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MG1's anyday. V12's are heavy and expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanxs for that - a few lads had mentioned v12's but thought they were abit expensive and as im new to it all thought i didnt want to have a ll the gear and no idea ha.
  • The Mg's are really good value and very very grippy. You may want to check out the Superstar Nanos also - many here swear by them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Mg's are really good value and very very grippy. You may want to check out the Superstar Nanos also - many here swear by them.
    One of those two - probably the best value around. I like my MG1's - never paid more than £20 by waiting for a deal on Ebay.
    Pity DMR haven't kept up though - when I got my first pair of V8's I couldn't believe how much better they were than anything I'd used before. To be fair to DMR, they're still going fairly strong on one the bikes somewhere.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    these http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=84&p=940& sames as ss nano's but slightly cheaper at the mo
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thanxs every1
  • I had some MG1 on my old bike. Pretty good pedals and dirt cheap, look around you can get them for about 20-25 quid on ebay! Very light and look good as well.

The new shimano saints are great as well, I've had them 2 months now and they are heavier than the MG1 but take damage better. The MG1 get chipped away pretty easily.
  • Not sure if this interests you, but if you subscribe to what mountain bike at the moment you get a free pair of nanos.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I run V12's I got used a couple years ago.. Sealed bearings so no maintenance issues.
    I think just as important as pedal choice is shoe choice. Get 5/10 shoes and never look back..
    They may look a bit daft in the pub but they grip pedals like their glued. :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I used V12s and V8s for years, both th eDMR ones, and the Wellgo ones, and the only issue I had was that they have quite a small platform.
  • I use Nukeproof Electrons, granted i don't do downhill riding, but over bumpy stuff at trail centres etc they are spot on. very grippy with decent shoes. Vicious as well if something does go wrong and they catch your lower legs!
  • V8's here with 510, super grippy :D
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I just got some MG1's after kept reading about them on here, they are really light compared to other flat pedals I have had recently. They are really grippy too but so are V8 copies and they cost about £12 :)
  • Crank Bros Mallet ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Seem to destrot v12 and V8 making noicble play in bearings with in weeks.

But my Nano's got a year on with them and are still great, so from my experience i can say nano's are reliable.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I run V12's on a few bikes and been really pleased with them. Never had any problems with bearings or grip over the years.
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    bernie1973 wrote:
    Not sure if this interests you, but if you subscribe to what mountain bike at the moment you get a free pair of nanos.

Where from?
  • nanos
  • I bought some wellgo copies off CRC - cheap as chips and soooooo grippy. They were a tad heavy so I switched to MG1's which are lighter but I don't think they are as grippy...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    jsync wrote:
    bernie1973 wrote:
    Not sure if this interests you, but if you subscribe to what mountain bike at the moment you get a free pair of nanos.

Where from?

It's in the mag, the code is wmbp23 I think.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017