Trail hardtail- whyte 905?

acer2012
acer2012 Posts: 45
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new hardtail frame. Something confidence inspiring, cheap, light and still comfortable-ish. My first thought was a whyte 905, good and slack and gets a great bikeradar write-up. I've read around elsewhere however and some people recon the steering is too slow, which would make sense given the 67.5 head angle. Anybody got any experience of riding one?

If not, any other suggestions? I ride anything from bridleways round home to trail center blacks.

Ideally a frame for <£300...

Comments

• I ride a Whyte 905. The head angle is certainly pretty slack, but this helps when going downhill. I don't find any real problems steering / cornering or climbing.

It's a nice quick & light hardtail, but with 120mm travel and slacker head angle a bit more capable than your average 100 mm xc machine. The cockpit is relatively short, so may be worth taking a look at the geometry.

I certainly like it, it is great for singletrack and trail centers. But I haven't ridden all the likely competing bikes, so can't comment on how it stands up to those. But if I was in your shoes I guess I'd also be looking at a c456, maybe Ragley Piglet & Cotic Soul (Soul is closer to £500 new, but by all accounts a great machine and very light for steel)
  • Thanks Chris, just what I was looking for! Thanks for the recommendations as well!
  • Wow, I really like the look of the Soul, not as slack as the Whyte and steel appeals :P !

Considering I currently ride a 2001 marin riftzone full sus frame (try here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... LaYXOT0LoI ;)) which I've built up with 100mm rebas, xt kit, etc. Do people recon the Cotic Soul will be an improvement on downhill performance?