Down to the final two!

thebfg
thebfg Posts: 10
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm going to buy a new hardtail next week, got the choice down to either the Genesis Mantle 10 or a Voodoo Bokor 29er.

Not looking to buy online as I want one fitted for me and these are available in the local bike shops, what would you have?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Posting links might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i have voted for the voodoo on the basic that they get good reviews and almost all riders say they are a good bike/brand for the money

i myself would of gone for a boardman team
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try the Voodoo for size - it has a better fork, but is a heavy bike overall - I'd budget for new tyres with this one.
  • cooldad
    Voodoo is better spec.
    What do you mean by fitted?
    Saddle the right height, levers where they are comfortable.
    Not much else to do.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • thebfg
    I'm a tall guy so need to have a good test of a bike before I buy it, it's why I've not gone to an online seller. I looked at the Boardman but their 29ers aren't in stock until 2013 apparently. Least ways they're not in my neck of the woods.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Voodoo but with 26" wheels.
  • thebfg wrote:
    I'm a tall guy so need to have a good test of a bike before I buy it, it's why I've not gone to an online seller. I looked at the Boardman but their 29ers aren't in stock until 2013 apparently. Least ways they're not in my neck of the woods.

well if you want a test ride your in for a shock

the voodoo just like the boardman is a halfords only brand and they dont allow test rides
    so unless you know somebody who has a voodoo you will have to go on reviews and other peoples views.
    thats what i did when i brought my boardman
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some Halfords will allow a 'quick spin round the car park' rides....but you may need to ask around!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    thebfg wrote:
    I'm a tall guy so need to have a good test of a bike before I buy it
    Prepare to be disappointed

If you're lucky Halfords will let you sit on a bike of the wrong size - it may not even be the same model - so they can order one in the right size which you will then buy having never seen it, even less ridden it.

When your Bokor does arrive, the forks will lock up after one ride and Halfords will send them back to Fishers for a month-long repair. In the long term the bolt-on drop outs will move slightly and find a new 'home' in the frame so that the gears are never quite right.

Enjoy
  • thebfg
    Heh, that's a definite vote for the Genesis!
  • no halfords around me in mansfield Nottinghamshire do any kind of test ride apart from sitting on it

i ask why and i was told because once it leaves the shop floor its classed as second hand

the voodoo out of your two choices still gets my vote, i havent had any major issues with my boardman pro
    and if you do get any minor issues you will probley be able to sort it yourself or ask here on the forums as their is a lot of good experianced bikers.
  • cooldad
    thebfg wrote:
    Heh, that's a definite vote for the Genesis!
    He posts that in every Halford/Voodoo thread. I wouldn't take much notice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    .blitz wrote:
    thebfg wrote:
    I'm a tall guy so need to have a good test of a bike before I buy it
    Prepare to be disappointed

If you're lucky Halfords will let you sit on a bike of the wrong size - it may not even be the same model - so they can order one in the right size which you will then buy having never seen it, even less ridden it.

When your Bokor does arrive, the forks will lock up after one ride and Halfords will send them back to Fishers for a month-long repair. In the long term the bolt-on drop outs will move slightly and find a new 'home' in the frame so that the gears are never quite right.

Enjoy

Not had a single problem with my drop outs or fork... :/