Canc Interview

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited December 2012 in Pro race
Good read:- http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exc ... cancellara

Hopefully we re gonna get another ding dong Vlammse/Schweiz battle this spring!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ddraver
    Yeah it's interesting, he's an interesting character is Bjarne...
    - @ddraver
  • A lot of people love Riis and think he is a wonderful DS. There are many on this forum that hate him but then the subset on here are not a good reflection of the greater picture.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    He could do himself a lot of favours very easily, the question is why he does nt do so..?
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    I just don't understand why Riis doesnt bring a libel case against Hamilton. Strange non? :shock: :roll:

Talking of Mr 60%...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-da ... ember-says
  • But back to Fabs. Lots of love for him.

Despite bigging up Riis. And Cecchini. Which does make it challenging.
  • Selective. Standard procedure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Selective. Standard procedure.

If you're referring to Fabs as being selective, tbh I have to do a lttle processing of Fab's views myself.

On the other hand, if you're referring to my love for him vs how I feel about Bertie - well, lets not go down that road as you only end up getting all flouncy :wink:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I know it is a moot point now, but he'd have smashed up the olympic road race if he hadn't smashed up the barriers in RP wouldn't he? Just looked strong and dominant....
  • mroli wrote:
    I know it is a moot point now, but he'd have smashed up the olympic road race if he hadn't smashed up the barriers in RP wouldn't he? Just looked strong and dominant....

For that, he still owes me £40 in winnings.

I enjoyed the interview. I don't particularly care about people expressing admiration and gratitude to those who trangressed in the past. It's possible for people to change their ways and we should applaud people who do.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mroli wrote:

He said that often when he makes a move so good that he thinks its capable of netting him the win, he will lose concentration and crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    There are days when I'm convinced he's a better rider than Boonen.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Most days for me.
  • Quick look at their wins says that not the case.
  • milton50
    Let's not go further down the Boonen v Cancellara debate. Suffice it to say they are both top class riders.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Let's not go further down the Boonen v Cancellara debate. Suffice it to say they are both top class riders.

Ahh, your no fun. :D
  • milton50
    :lol:
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Milton50 wrote:
    Let's not go further down the Boonen v Cancellara debate. Suffice it to say they are both top class riders,

...but with Cancellara being a little bit better. Let's agree to settle on that.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    ...but with Cancellara being a little bit better. Let's agree to settle on that.

Arghhh, must resist, be strong Greasy, be strong... :shock:
  • ocdupalais
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Arghhh, must resist, be strong Greasy, be strong... :shock:

C'mon - it's just a little bit. I'm sure deep down Tom knows it, too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited November 2012
    So I finished reading the article and it was pretty good. I particularly like the points I highlight below. Here is a Certified Heavyweight of the sport espousing exactly what I think and mention on occasion on this forum and which people try and put down. Shame some of you are just that bit too proud or clinical to immerse yourself in the world which is cycling passion.

“Winning isn’t always important. Going there and showing that you know how to lose is important. So I went and I still won something that day.”

Moral victories have been an increasing part of Cancellara’s diet over the past two seasons but by and large, he has digested those disappointments with equanimity, perhaps in part because they have still been washed down by a steady flow of tangible achievement.

Rather than bemoan the heavy marking to which he has been exposed, Cancellara seems almost to revel in it, repeatedly attempting to ride his rivals off his wheel. Victories and WorldTour points may ultimately decide the small print of a riders’ contract but in Cancellara’s mind, the history books often reserve their longest chapters for the grandest gestures.

“I leave all the passion I have for this sport out there on the road. You saw that at Milan-San Remo, there were two guys on my wheel. What did I do? Pull back? No, I did what I always do – I kept going, I went for it. Even though the strongest doesn’t always win, you can’t hold back,” he says of his second place finish behind Simon Gerrans last March.

“It’s not spettacolo,” he stresses. “I ride to my limit until I fall off my bike. That’s my spettacolo. I do everything I can to win."

“A lot of people like to see the strongest win all the time, but we know that that sport is not like that. Cycling is not predictable, which is just as well, because otherwise it wouldn’t be such a beautiful sport.”

bettiniphoto_0074290_1_full_600-1.jpg

Ps. 'Canc' is not a good way to refer to him. Try any one of these:
    Nicknames Fabian Cancellara
    - Fäbu
    Dialect pronunciation of his first name in the region of the Swiss capital of Bern.

- Spartacus
    Relating to his rather muscular built, for sure when compared to climbing midgets.

- The Gladiator
    An obvious variation on the Spartacus theme.

- Goliath
    Again referring to his solid built.

- The motorbike
    Come from the blistering pace he set on the pavées on his way to winning Paris-Roubaix.

- Berna's Locomotive
    Again referring to his brutal strength and place of residence.

- Tony Montana
    After the main character of Scarface - after all Cancellara is half Swiss, half Italian.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    C'mon - it's just a little bit. I'm sure deep down Tom knows it, too.

OK, alright. I'll accept he's just a little bit better at something. Not cycling though, something else. Knitting, yes, that will do. I'm sure "Canc" is a little bit better at knitting that Boonen. If I want a jumper or a scarf, "Canc" is the man!
  • ocdupalais
    ...or a knitted toupé for Tom.

In the shape of Belgium.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ^^^^Totally agree with the sentiment, FF.

I just wish more people could grasp that "passion" in cycling doesn't necessarily only manifest itself in grandiose or theatrical attacks (even more so when they don't amount to much: i.e generally the Schlecks until Andy pulled off a blinder on Galibier!): Cancellara's move on Muur in 2010 being one prime example (most sublime "attack" in any classic in last decade?); Wiggins's epic TDF solo whilst at Cofidis being another...
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

I dunno, I'm fine if people like different riders or races, styles of riding, but to suggest that other people on this forum don't have passion for cycling?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited November 2012
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I just wish more people could grasp that "passion" in cycling doesn't necessarily only manifest itself in grandiose or theatrical attacks (even more so when they don't amount to much: i.e generally the Schlecks until Andy pulled off a blinder on Galibier!): Cancellara's move on Muur in 2010 being one prime example (most sublime "attack" in any classic in last decade?); Wiggins's epic TDF solo whilst at Cofidis being another...[/quote]

God, that was great...thanks for the reminder...also Millar's solo into Barcelona...

*fires up youtube*

But I get your point. Passion takes many forms in a race. and not just the showy forms.
  • I don't mind not winning, I mind not trying

Quoth Jacky Durand.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ocdupalais
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I dunno, I'm fine if people like different riders or races, styles of riding, but to suggest that other people on this forum don't have passion for cycling?

Er... That's kind of what I meant - that "passion" in/for cycling can manifest itself in many ways.
    Train spotters don't come across as the most passionate looking folk, but I bet most of them would say that they were passionate about trains...
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Er... That's kind of what I meant - that "passion" in/for cycling can manifest itself in many ways.
    Train spotters don't come across as the most passionate looking folk, but I bet most of them would say that they were passionate about trains...

Yes, agreed. I was having a dig at FF. Maybe I should have quoted him, but then I'm fairly sure he doesn't read my posts anyway.