The Roads

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,170
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
How bad are they going to get?

They have always been pretty poor but the last few weeks I’m noticing they seem to be much worse. Main A roads, not that I cycle much on them, seem to be the worst culprits too.
Mañana

Comments

• The nation's roads are fuxked and they won't be getting any better for a long time (if ever).
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    At least we don't live in Tibet.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I did a couple of day's cycling in Luxemburg last year on amzingly smooth roads. Mile after mile of flowing pristine surfaces and not a singe pothole in sight.

We're slowly lapsing into 3rd world facilities.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    As long as the bankers are ok. They only got a £100,000,000,000 bail out from us.

Think of how good the roads would have been with all that money.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    nweststeyn wrote:
    At least we don't live in Tibet.

Yeah obviously they could be much worse, but I have noticed a real decline over the last few weeks. I cant imagine anything much happening to them over the next five or so years, by that time who knows what they will be like...
    Mañana
  • ben@31 wrote:
    They only got a £100,000,000,000 bail out from us.

And you think that if 'we' hadn't given them the LOAN, there would be money for roads ?

PS As most people are in debt, they aren't lending money to any banks as the banks don't need a loan of further debt ;)
  • Look on the positive side - free speed bumps!!
  • Try Bucks. Worst roads in the country. Fucking disgraceful. I've been on mountain roads in Thailand that are used by the heaviest trucks all day long that are much better than the roads around here.
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    Try Bucks. Worst roads in the country. ******* disgraceful. I've been on mountain roads in Thailand that are used by the heaviest trucks all day long that are much better than the roads around here.
    I beg to differ. Clearly you have never cycled in the Central Belt of Scotland. Some potholes are so deep you'd need a ladder to get back out of them. And don't get me started on the quality of "repairs"...... wet tar, bucket of gravel, quick stamp with a boot. Guaranteed to disintigrate the first time a car runs over it.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    Try Bucks. Worst roads in the country. ******* disgraceful. I've been on mountain roads in Thailand that are used by the heaviest trucks all day long that are much better than the roads around here.
    I beg to differ. Clearly you have never cycled in the Central Belt of Scotland. Some potholes are so deep you'd need a ladder to get back out of them. And don't get me started on the quality of "repairs"...... wet tar, bucket of gravel, quick stamp with a boot. Guaranteed to disintigrate the first time a car runs over it.

Errr... No. All wrong. Try south Cheshire north Staffordshireroads. Nightmare
  • baldwin471 wrote:

Exactly the same round here fella. They shove some gravel down, give it a quick stomp then open the road again after an hour. Lazy fuckers.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Drove through Europe a few years back. You didn't need border control to tell where you were. Holland - beautiful roads. As soon as you hit Belgium there were potholes galore.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Lets hope we dont get another cold spell like a couple of years ago, the roads will really crumble then :cry:
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

Exactly the same round here fella. They shove some gravel down, give it a quick stomp then open the road again after an hour. Lazy idiots.

Tory tarmac.
  • I seem to recall a recent BBC article about where the worst roads were in the country, judging by unfilled potholes.

Number 1 was Kirklees, Huddersfield.

Number 2 was Surrey

I remember these as I live on the border with Surrey and my sister in law lives in Kirklees where I do my hilly cycling (Holmfirth - Huddersfield area).

Everywhere seems bad as you notice the holes, but as you haven't ridden every road, its hard to be objective about such things.
  • We've got some pretty crap roads in Surrey. Hungry Hill Lane is one of the roughest roads nearby, it's almost reduced me to tears of frustration at times, especially when there's a headwind.
  • Probably the eternal optimist speaking here but roads I ride ain't too bad, sure could be better but certainly not awful. I've never ridden abroad though so perhaps if I did I might be more aware.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    We've got some pretty crap roads in Surrey. Hungry Hill Lane is one of the roughest roads nearby, it's almost reduced me to tears of frustration at times, especially when there's a headwind.

I cycle in Surrey a few times a year as my mum lives there and agree that the surfaces are some of the worst I've found in the country, unless you only ride up and down Box Hill :wink:
    There are a lot of roads and lanes to maintain in Surrey but the County Council has advertised it as one of the best part of the country for cycling, and is trying to encourage more cyclists to the county.
    I suggest they start tarmacing the roads.
  • Am I the only one who loves the challenge of pothole filled roads. They provide the closest thing I'm going to get to the Cobbled Classics. I'd probably fall asleep on smooth tarmac ;-)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    NO, MY roads are worse than yours!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    nweststeyn wrote:
    NO, MY roads are worse than yours!
    We know how the Scottish Government can afford free uni - They spend feck all on the roads. :evil:

On balance it isn't too bad a trade off.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The roads are in such a state, because of the thick end of £50 billion that comes in from motoring taxes, about £11 billion gets spent on the roads.
    Now, how about diverting that £36 billion that's been projected for the unwanted London - Birmingham railway, spend that on the roads.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Now, how about diverting that £36 billion that's been projected for the unwanted London - Birmingham railway, spend that on the roads.

Not heard of the M25 effect then ? Its not 'unwanted' unless you could the small number of NIMBYs.

HS2 will be full and well used no matter what the NIMBYs say.
  • Roads in northampton town are bad you cant have a decent 1/4 mile ride without coming across a pothole :x all my puntures have always been caused through them its so annoying!!!..
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Went cycling in Dubai over the summer, wondered why it was such a weird experience...

the roads were perfect...it really showed how sh!tty the roads are here.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live