Magicshine mj-816 fun and games

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Hopefully right forum but please move if not.

I have this excellent light but face what seems to be a reoccurring problem. The retaining screw between the base and the lamp head itself doesn't seem to be the most secure. As a result I've had 3 occasions where the lamp has fallen off. Also I'm not 100% convinced with the rubber 'o' ring mounting. I believe that some people have fashioned a more secure mount by cannibalising something like a cateye mount and attaching that to my handlebars. Anyone had a similar experience and /or fashioned a more secure method of attaching the light to my bars?

Comments

• Check here

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12807034

I am sure the answer to this known problem is there - 79 pages but search should turn it up - or post the question and I am sure one of the many experts on that thread will answer.
  • Thanks. Had a look but it's a big thread. Found something that maybe of interest but will repost I think
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Get the hope one from Chainreactions. Best mount out there for 816 and their clones. Might need a longer screw to reach through the bottom though.
  • Thanks Ouija, that's the 2nd strong recommendation for the Hope clamp. Looked at 2 different sites and CRC are selling for £7 approx and another retailer for £20! Guess where I might go?

Have also posted in MTB section
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    MMmmmmmmmm, I recently bought one of the chinese copies of this type of light, and was not impressed with the mounting,(Light is awesome however), after a few miles over some badly jointed road at speed, the plastic mount broke where the screw fixes in, hence the mount was useless.

Luckily I had a spare twofish lock block in the garage. Although the actual velcro strap is not quite long enough to go around the body of the light and stick against it's fixing patch, it is long enough to go all the way around. The fixing was then easy with a normal cable tie. So basically around the body of the light is a material strap, fixed with a cable tie.

This then secure to the handlebars with the normal two fish strap. The advantage of the two fish lock blocks is they are easy to get on / off......and they have rubber between handlebar and light, so absorb a lot of the vibration and knocks. So...................it may not look fantastic, but nobody sees it in the dark anyway. And now the light is as secure as it could be, with nothing to break.
    Try the site below.

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/LED_Lenser_Bike_Mounts.
  • thanks mambo like the look of that too