junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited November 2012 in The cake stop
The shortlist...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-per ... y/20467299

I think it's between:

Jessica Ennis
Mo Farah
Bradley Wiggins

Jessica Ennis gets my vote as I think Wiggo's a right tw@t and also think he won the TDF thanks to doping (using Aicar)

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    They're all winners to me. Except the golfer, obviously.

Not only is golf crap, but he can't decide (or won't say) who he will represent in the 2016 Rio Olympics. Of course, all the golfists will vote for him with their lairy trousers and ridiculous jumpers so he'll probably do quite well.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    One at a time please.

SPOTY

• Jessica Ennis gets my vote as I think Wiggo's a right tw@t and also think he won the TDF thanks to doping (using Aicar)

Any particular reason why you're saying that? Or have you just worked it out for yourself?
  • GiantMike
    I also think he won the TDF thanks to doping (using Aicar)

Is this libelous?
  • GiantMike wrote:

Is this libelous?

Is that using Aicar instead of Aibike?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    GiantMike wrote:

Is this libelous?

I would have thought so, unless he can prove it of course!

Edit: They only think he doped though, they're not saying he did, so I'm not sure.
    Mañana
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    Who was complaining about golf clothes ? - from a road cyclist - pot and kettle come to mind :)
    Very politically correct list - why does Ennis beat the bloke who got the long jump world record for example ? Why does the young Paralympic swimmer beat the Paralympic Horse Rider(s) ?

Difficult to choose - i would have gone Wiggins (diversity of events during the year, Tour history, Olympic gold), Murray (grand slam and Olympic gold), Farah (2 golds in Long Distance, never been close in UK before)
    All 3 of them have done something a Brit hasnt done before, or for a very very long time

Weir is my difficult guy - i could see him coming out of nowhere and taking any one of those 3 places.

Hoy very good, but all the same type of events, he did it before, and only olympics
    Ennis - 1 gold (albeit a number of events) - you could say the same about the Triathlete Gold chap
    Ainslie - close to the Top 3, but his golds have been achieved before so put him behind Farah
    Storey - same logic as Hoy. although perhaps less so, and more diverse
    SImmonds -well done, but cant see those successes surpassing the above
    Mcilroy - Grand Slam, Europe and US tour winner, Ryder Cup - poor choice of year to win stuff
    Grainger - again, well done, but only 1 event
    Boxing lady - well done but i find it hard to give it to any boxer
  • I don't know what Andy Murray is doing on the shortlist.

I thought it was sports PERSONALITY of the year. :-D
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    They're all deserving winners, but Bradley gets my vote purely for the emotion I felt on watching him win the Olympic time trial. Amazing!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • sev112 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 pmWho was complaining about golf clothes ? - from a road cyclist - pot and kettle come to mind Very politically correct list - why does Ennis beat the bloke who got the long jump world record for example ? Why does the young Paralympic swimmer beat the Paralympic Horse Rider(s) ?Difficult to choose - i would have gone Wiggins (diversity of events during the year, Tour history, Olympic gold), Murray (grand slam and Olympic gold), Farah (2 golds in Long Distance, never been close in UK before)All 3 of them have done something a Brit hasnt done before, or for a very very long timeWeir is my difficult guy - i could see him coming out of nowhere and taking any one of those 3 places.Hoy very good, but all the same type of events, he did it before, and only olympicsEnnis - 1 gold (albeit a number of events) - you could say the same about the Triathlete Gold chapAinslie - close to the Top 3, but his golds have been achieved before so put him behind FarahStorey - same logic as Hoy. although perhaps less so, and more diverseSImmonds -well done, but cant see those successes surpassing the aboveMcilroy - Grand Slam, Europe and US tour winner, Ryder Cup - poor choice of year to win stuffGrainger - again, well done, but only 1 event Boxing lady - well done but i find it hard to give it to any boxersev112 Posts: 22Joined: Sun May 6, 2012 9:43 amTop

Where do i start with this drivel?

You mention Mo Farrah won two golds in long distance (middle distance actually) & nobody has done that for a very very long time. What about Dame Kelly Holmes winning the 800 & 1500 golds in Athens 2004!

Who won set the long jump world record. Nobody, Mike Piwells jump 20 odd years ago still stands. Greg Rutherford ( i assume you meant) won the gold but set no records.

How can you compare Jess Ennis to Alistair Brownlee? Totally different events.

Boxing lady? Seriously? Nicola Adams is her name & she made history by being the 1st British female to win a medal, Gold at that, at an Olympics. Even if it was its first Olympics as a sport.

You painfully neglect to acknowledge the story behind Kath Grainger. This was her 4th Olympics & her first gold after 3 previous attempts, but just missing out.

Rory Mcllroy hardly 'chose' this year to specifically win things & i hardly think missing out on SPOTY would be a reason for him to decide to think "better not win this, i won't win SPOTY'.

Unbelievable!! Do some sodding research & get your facts correct. Brad to win, Murray 2nd, Mo 3rd.
  • GiantMike
    sev112 wrote:
    Who was complaining about golf clothes ? - from a road cyclist - pot and kettle come to mind :)
    I'll have you know that my sartorial style is very understated.

A lot of road cycling 'fashion' is derived from the profusion of sponsorship at the top of the sport. Pro golfers wear their ridiculous outfits because they actually want to.

Although, to be fair, I am starting to like this subtle look:
    ian_poulter_praises_european_ryder_cup_golf_apparel.jpg