The current weather

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited November 2012 in The bottom bracket
33758a1b582964b5a3ff71e06c9afb7a.jpg
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I'm adjacent to the Straits near 'Dire'. Funny that innit?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Depressingly accurate. SKS and Crud must be absolutely loving it.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • loads of road closures round here, any more and the village will be cut off (again).

Means a day off and a few hours on the bike though :)
  • I'm roughly under 'appalling'. Given todays weather, not far off!!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    loads of road closures round here, any more and the village will be cut off (again).

Means a day off and a few hours on the bike though :)

3hrs to drive 40miles home 'cause of an accident on the M4 (apparently people can't drive in the rain) and flooded roads. :evil: I took to the floods where I knew the roads :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    We normally have the shite weather but it was a pretty nice day in Glasgow today :P
  • A car broke down on the middle of the only open route into my village from the North this evening. Right slap bang in the middle, when I was 2 cars behind.

I would've been sympathetic but the bloody water was sill deep and I was worrying about my car stalling out and literally flooding the engine.

I wonder if I can cycle through it tomorrow?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If team47b makes ANY comment I reckon we gang up on him. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Cheer up.Snow on the way.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman wrote:
    Cheer up.Snow on the way.

more fun than the rain. mtbs and snowboarding :D
  • nevman
    Agreed.XC skis on standby for the ski du fond in les alpes du derbyshire .October last year so we are due a dump.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I'm about between the Y and S in "Really Sh!t".

It took about 1hr 20mins to travel the 13 miles home last night due to various road closures and the increased traffic on the ones that were open.

Although everyone is blaming the weather, I can't help thinking that we haven't had that much, I'm sure I can remember longer periods of rain without this much bother.

I'm wondering if the rivers have changed and we're not getting rid of the water as fast. I'm an angler when I get the time and opportunity, and I've noticed that a lot of the spots I used to fish are not as deep as they used to be because of silting up.

The older I get, the better I was.

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I commute on the pedestrian path which runs along side the guided bus way from St Ives to Cambridge. The first mile or so outside of the St Ives park and ride site is a complete nightmare. On Friday there was a 50 metre section where my chainset was just about submerged but that was as bad as it got. Yesterday there was a few other sections that were flooded. Today, the path must be 1-2 ft underwater. The verges are still (just about) ok to ride on.

It's a small price to pay though as the remaining 12 miles of bus way is trouble (and traffic) free. I would of been stuck for 1.5-2 hrs last night and this morning, if I was doing the same journey by car.

So glad I bought that cross bike now.....
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • That little rock to the left of "appaling" is basked in glorious sunshine today.

Had a nice ride before work, and about to head out again now.

I'll get a pic for you in a bit :D

[/smug]
  • jordan_217
    That little rock to the left of "appaling" is basked in glorious sunshine today.

[/smug]

Don't get a puncture now :twisted: :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    That little rock to the left of "appaling" is basked in glorious sunshine today.

[/smug]

Just for that.

temporary.jpg

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
  • Welcome to a Scottish winter......

As Omar says, lurvely couple of days in Glasgow - crisp, cold, sunny. Wait, is this not our "summer" ??? :wink:

You guys Down South should be grateful - how many times in the drought-ridden months have you begged us to send some of our excess water? Well, there you are. Sorted. :twisted:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

[/smug]

Just for that.

temporary.jpg

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

I have fields that look like that where I live. It's just not sunny :D Nice view, enjoy your ride :mrgreen:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I'm wondering if the rivers have changed and we're not getting rid of the water as fast. I'm an angler when I get the time and opportunity, and I've noticed that a lot of the spots I used to fish are not as deep as they used to be because of silting up.

Nothing to do with covering everything in concrete and tarmac whilst taking trees out as well as building on flood plain(s) ?

I remember when I was working for the Cheltenham Borough Councils Parks department. Some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to plant lots of trees around the (notorious for flooding) Tooksbury/Evee Sham area. They spent £effing oodles£ on large saplings - 8-10ft tall. Winter 2002/2003 came and whilst driving along from Twigworth Breakers yard, I looked left and there some of the saplings were. I could see the last 18" sticking above the ice !!
    That worked. :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Capt Slog wrote:

Nothing to do with covering everything in concrete and tarmac whilst taking trees out as well as building on flood plain(s) ?

Sure, that too can't be helping.

But I remember seeing a program years ago, where they had excavated archaeological sites along the east coast and found what they thought at first were roads which were built up higher than the surrounding plains. They later discovered that the "roads" were in fact rivers, and our forebears had built up the banks to stop them flooding.

The interesting bit (for me) was that the rivers were running in high banks due to the silt being washed down from inland, and this silt was the result of deforestation for new agriculture.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that this is the case now, but the people at the coast must have been wondering "WTF!?" for years, whilst continually trying to stop the floods. Hence I wonder if something else has changed.

The older I get, the better I was.

• DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    As another occassional angler I've noticed the opposite; the last few decades have seen plenty of river "engineering" lots of flood relief channels, "new rivers" etc. With much of their flow diverted the parellel
    sections of the old course do tend to run slow/shallow/silted, but then the relief channels also tend to be so big that they must have several fold the original river's carrying capacity.
  • nevman
    Light snow 2°forecast for Saturday.:O :D

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    If team47b makes ANY comment I reckon we gang up on him. :D

Sorry I missed this thread, I was at the beach, I wouldn't dream of making a comment :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nevman
    Found a cheap coach trip to Portugal.Tickets anyone?.Travel light-pick axe handle should do it.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Save your money, just ring the police and tell them you know where Maddie is.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    forget pick axe handles, bring your bikes the weather's lov...oh I see your point, annoying innit, I am currently searching for a pick axe handle to save you the trip :D

think I can see a cloud
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nevman
    Diamond geezer.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.