Beryl Burton

Graculus
Graculus Posts: 107
edited December 2012 in The cake stop
Radio 4's Afternoon Drama tomorrow afternoon is a play about Beryl Burton (2.15 Tuesday 27 November). i guess it will be on iPlayer too. Worth a listen I think!

There is also a piece on Woman's Hour (at 10 minutes) here, with interviews with Charlie Burton and Maxine Peake (who wrote the play and who plays Beryl).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nxzcd

Comments

• Nice one, I'll check that out.

She got a mention in this post on a great blog: http://thatemilychappell.com/2012/04/heroes/
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    I was checking back on some of her obituaries, and one of them had a great story about her offering a time trial opponent a liquorice allsort as she overtook him - now that's class!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    It was when she caught Mike(?) McNamara (who I think was the men's favourite to win the event) when setting the 12 hour record. The story If i remember correctly was she didn't know what to say as she caught and passed him, so offered him a sweet which he took and ate.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I heard the interview on Woman's Hour (I'm a regular listener!), sounds interesting, they also spoke to Beryl's husband.
  • Yup 1967, "Super Mac" set the Men's 12-hour Record during that race 276.52 miles , BB set the Women's 277.25 miles. That record still stands. No aero helmet, no tribars, no disc wheels, no carbon except in the time keeper's pencil!
    Just to show how dominant she was she won the British Best All-Rounder for Women Competition for 25 consecutive years from 1959 to 1983!
    Died on her bike, delivering invites for her 59th Birthday party!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Bloody double posts! :oops:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    Just listened to it on i-player - very enjoyable !
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited November 2012
    BerylBurton.jpg

Seems worth a listen...
  • That ain't our Beryl!
    beryl-burton-side.jpg
  • Drumlin
    That ain't our Beryl!
    beryl-burton-side.jpg

Yes it was odd that the publicity shots were of the writer & actress rather than BB.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Drumlin wrote:
    That ain't our Beryl!
    beryl-burton-side.jpg

Yes it was odd that the publicity shots were of the writer & actress rather than BB.

Err and films of peoples lives always had the actor on not the person, n'est pas?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Drumlin
    symo wrote:
    Drumlin wrote:
    That ain't our Beryl!
    beryl-burton-side.jpg

Err and films of peoples lives always had the actor on not the person, n'est pas?

Yes I would expect that for film/tv but not for radio. The programme was about BB, why should we be interested in knowing what the actress looks like ?
  • Drumlin wrote:
    That ain't our Beryl!
    beryl-burton-side.jpg

Now you mention it, that looks like Fizik handlebar tape...

Not that I'm complaining otherwise.
  • Its the reflector that looks wrong to me.