Pro Kit Etiquette.....for the Pros that is

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited November 2012 in Pro race
250-RTR2P1R2.jpg

Wearing yellow glasses when you're not in the yellow jersey - poor form.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Not quite as bad as LA turning up in the maillot jaune for the start of the Tour despite it being a massive breach of etiquette, and being getting away with it (as usual).

But still not good, Bertie.
  • tailwindhome
    IIRC

Cav wore Green glasses last year and Gilbert has been wearing a helmet in the Belgian colours.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Not quite as bad as LA turning up in the maillot jaune for the start of the Tour despite it being a massive breach of etiquette, and being getting away with it (as usual).

Used to be that the defending champ would wear the yellow jersey on the prologue or first stage. Here's Delgado doing so at the prologue of the '89 Tour...

taste-delgado.jpg
  • Greased, think it was after that practice has stopped but LA took it upon himself to do anyway
  • Greased, think it was after that practice has stopped but LA took it upon himself to do anyway

It was fairly standard practice and I think LA stopped it as he would ather earn the jersey but the organisers may have insisted. He also stopped wearing rainbow stripes on his sleeves for a while. I think UCI or race rules insist on certain things.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    taste-delgado.jpg

That was THE TT bike I lusted after back when I was a teenager and could not even dream about owning one :D
    Pinarello, Campag, Delta's
    I had the shoes though (still do), but in grey with red straps. Still perform pretty well and still worn, though not regularly
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not quite as bad as LA turning up in the maillot jaune for the start of the Tour despite it being a massive breach of etiquette, and being getting away with it (as usual).

Used to be that the defending champ would wear the yellow jersey on the prologue or first stage. Here's Delgado doing so at the prologue of the '89 Tour...

taste-delgado.jpg

he looks a bit flustered in that photo! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Not quite as bad as LA turning up in the maillot jaune for the start of the Tour despite it being a massive breach of etiquette, and being getting away with it (as usual).

taste-delgado.jpg
    He also appears to be wearing watch - a fat lot of use that was.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • that wouldnt 'appen with marginal gains
  • Not sure if it's bad etiquette or maybe bad taste, but what about this?

8.jpg

Didn't Sky try and be cute at the 2010 race and send Wiggins out early at the prologue. In the rain!

Didn't Sky try and be cute at the 2010 race and send Wiggins out early at the prologue. In the rain!

They did....learnt the lesson that hard way that year that you can be too cute esp if your leader's so unfit 'he couldnt pull the foreskin off a rice pudding'
    :)

Mind you, Froome was airhead enough to ride the prologue this year with cotton plugs still stuck up his nose. And his overshoes on the wrong feet.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Not sure if it's bad etiquette or maybe bad taste, but what about this?

8.jpg
    That's bloody awful!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

8.jpg
    That's bloody awful!

If Katy Price designed a bike, that is what it would look like . :D

Does that color have a name? Colon pink perhaps?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • That photo's making my eyes bleed. On with the sunnies 8) Ah, that's marginally better
  • Not sure if it's bad etiquette or maybe bad taste, but what about this?

8.jpg

I know. Black socks should be banned...
  • Water bottle doesn't look quite right. Bad attention to detail.

They did....learnt the lesson that hard way that year that you can be too cute esp if your leader's so unfit 'he couldnt pull the foreskin off a rice pudding'
    :)

Mind you, Froome was airhead enough to ride the prologue this year with cotton plugs still stuck up his nose. And his overshoes on the wrong feet.

Whose feet did he put them on? :D
  • 28072009_04gf.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    28072009_04gf.jpg

Shoulda kept the bar tape black........a touch too much yellow
  • Christ, Bertie, break it up...the yellow of the kit and bike is bleeding into his orange-looking skin in a most visually unpleasant way
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

8.jpg

What race is that from? :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Gah, yellow shorts! A bit dated now I think. All these winners looks far better...

82079248_10-670-75.jpg

pic213350685_600.jpg

2012_tour_de_france_stage20_paris_arc_de_triomphe_bradley_wiggins2.jpg
  • Didn't evans refuse anything yellow bar the jersey until the final day?

All class.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

All class.

Err...

Cadel-Evans-in-the-Yellow-Jersey.jpg

All class.

Err...

Cadel-Evans-in-the-Yellow-Jersey.jpg

That's not a BMC kit is it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • That's not a BMC kit is it?

Ahh, right. Sorry, I thought you meant he refused to wear any yellow kit (other than the jersey) through out his career. You meant just when he won in 2011. Think that photo is from the 2009 Tour.
  • pic42072973_600.jpg

Suppose he was young, can we forgive him for the pink shorts?
  • All regular kits have more or less the same scheme for jersey and bibs. Not sure why there is so much dislike of when they are one colour scheme for the leader's jerseys.

I could give you many examples of various people with the same tops and bibs. I could also give you a hundred photos of Contador in just the top.

BERT-1-660x888.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pic42072973_600.jpg

Suppose he was young, can we forgive him for the pink shorts?

I'd feel something of a hypocrite criticising that, being as how there's a picture of Gibo up the page in the pinkest of outfits and he can do no wrong.

@gietvangent