Tour de France info

Insideinfo
Insideinfo Posts: 107
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Im looking to go to the tour next year, possibly the last week/mountain section. Im looking at hiring a motorhome with some friends but wanted to ask if anyones done this?

If so, the biggest thing worrying me is the road/stage closure, if for example, i go to stage 14 watch the race, see them go by, can you then drive to the next stage the night before and park up or are the roads already closed the night before for the following days race?

Any info would be appreciated, as long as it not from your best mates girlfriends contact :D

Comments

• There's no reason why not, I've done it before, although not with a camper van, I was in a car and used a tent. But it does depend on what stages 14 and 15 are. If one or both are really big stages were alot of people want to do the same as you, then you might have problems. Don't forget, you can park away from the route and bike there on the day as an alternative.
  • Camper vans can be expensive to hire. I believe the best bet is to hire it in Belgium (although one country is cheaper still but not sure which one - it's not France!)

If its just bumming around stages you might think of a standard van VW transporter and chuck a tent in or air bed - much cheaper and more fun!

Depends on the level of luxury - numbers etc Although over 4 in a camper van in the middle of summer can be 'trying' :)

Road closures etc Either drive up day before and then cycle around or park away from route and cycle up to stage

Some mountain stages are now being better managed in letting traffic up. eg Galibier now is usually shut from about 6pm night before

Stelvio this year in Giro couldnt drive up at all from one side
  • Thanks for the info guys thats really handy. Maybe its easier to park as close by and just cycle to it, sounds like a good option, hadnt thought of that. Cheers
  • DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    Your choices will also be affected by the specific stages and climbs involved. As an example, you mentioned stage 15, it seems very likely that next year the stage will finish on Mont Ventoux. In that case, I imagine you could arrive on one of the roads that are not being used and get within easy reach of the course. Other climbs do not have this option.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    If you want to see a Ventoux stage, you have to be happy to park on some roadside within 15-20km of Bedoin and cycle to the Giant. Its doable, im sure everybody else will be doing the same. It is the Ventoux afterall.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    I've just booked up to go see the Tour for the first time next year.

Staying in Pertuis for the first 4 nights and seeing stages 15, 16 and 17, then travelling upto Annecy for stages 18,19 and 20 and then possibly stopping off in Paris on the way back home to see the final stage (Versailles to Champs-Elysees).

For Stage 15 (Givors to Mont Ventoux) and Stage 18 (Gap to Alp D'Huez) I'm planning on claiming a patch up the mountain before the pelaton goes up the two mountains, will I need to camp out overnight or will getting there in the very early morning 4/5am be enough to secure me a decent-ish spot?
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Hi am also looking to get to see one or more of the Alpine stages

Can anyone suggest decent campsites or studio style accomm for 2 people on bikes in the Annecy or Bourg - D'Oisans area?
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Bump.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Nice campsite at Doussard - far end of the lake from Annecy, also near Allemond just down the road from Bourg D'Oisans.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    The 2009 and 2010 Etapes did the Ventoux and Tourmalet stages respectively. They were approx 4/6 days before the actual stage and both were packed with camper vans! The Tourmalet in particular was full, though they were doing the Tourmalet from both sides that year, still you'd want to be there early!
  • BlakeysFC wrote:

Staying in Pertuis for the first 4 nights and seeing stages 15, 16 and 17, then travelling upto Annecy for stages 18,19 and 20 and then possibly stopping off in Paris on the way back home to see the final stage (Versailles to Champs-Elysees).

For Stage 15 (Givors to Mont Ventoux) and Stage 18 (Gap to Alp D'Huez) I'm planning on claiming a patch up the mountain before the peloton goes up the two mountains, will I need to camp out overnight or will getting there in the very early morning 4/5am be enough to secure me a decent-ish spot?

i watched the tour in 2011 from the alpe dhuez - got there about 9/10am and there were still people cycling and walking up until mid day easy.
    you dont need to get there 4/5am if you plan to park somewhere at the bottom and walk up.
  • Cornish-J wrote:
    BlakeysFC wrote:

For Stage 15 (Givors to Mont Ventoux) and Stage 18 (Gap to Alp D'Huez) I'm planning on claiming a patch up the mountain before the peloton goes up the two mountains, will I need to camp out overnight or will getting there in the very early morning 4/5am be enough to secure me a decent-ish spot?

i watched the tour in 2011 from the alpe dhuez - got there about 9/10am and there were still people cycling and walking up until mid day easy.
    you dont need to get there 4/5am if you plan to park somewhere at the bottom and walk up.

Thanks for the info :)
  • We’ve booked a cracking chalet in La Giettaz at the foot of the Aravis from 14/07 to 21/07 and we’re really close to stages 19 and 20. Alpe d’Huez is a bit of a drive but we might catch that one too.
  • Just booked our overnight stop on the 21st right near Orly Airport in Paris.

Should be there in time to see the final stage, and Paris lit up at night! :)
  • I'm hoping to see pretty much every stage. I'll miss Corsica, but am aiming to follow it from Nice onwards. We're gonna follow it in a camper and see how it goes. It's gonna be an adventure! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Hi am also looking to get to see one or more of the Alpine stages

Can anyone suggest decent campsites or studio style accomm for 2 people on bikes in the Annecy or Bourg - D'Oisans area?

Would you consider this http://velovation.co.uk/tour-de-france-2013/? Catered chalet and supported rides to watch the Bourg and Annecy stages.