Contadors Can Of Worms

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited December 2012 in Pro race
Those who already hate him should probably steer clear of this thread...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-says-cycling-needs-to-introduce-zero-tolerance-for-dope-cheats

Aslo, it's not been mentioned but December edition of ProCycling with Contador on the cover - the inside article is a good read whether a fan or not, insight into the mind of somebody who races to win rather than to get paid, and I must say very pro-Contador concerning Clengate.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    could nt help suppressing a chuckle...

"Cycling should be zero tolerance for dope cheat...oh sugar, except me of course!"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • My irony-meter has just exploded....

Also his threat to throw his toys out of the pram and not do the Tour if Sexi-Tinki dont get the PT licence is silly enough but only compounded by the use of the word 'prepare' in 'I need enough time to prepare'. :roll:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Which he might not have used, but may have been the journalist's word in translation - ie (in Spanish) - I need enough time to do all the training and get ready mentally for the Tour. Journalist shorthand - "prepare".
  • ddraver
    My irony-meter has just exploded....

Also his threat to throw his toys out of the pram and not do the Tour if Sexi-Tinki dont get the PT licence is silly enough but only compounded by the use of the word 'prepare' in 'I need enough time to prepare'. :roll:

Bull

Crap

In a word.... The only chance Saxo have of coming away with anything from the biggest race on the calender? He'll do it even if Riis has to run in front of him the whole way dressed like this:-

IC55316.jpg

:lol:
    - @ddraver
  • mroli wrote:
    Which he might not have used, but may have been the journalist's word in translation - ie (in Spanish) - I need enough time to do all the training and get ready mentally for the Tour. Journalist shorthand - "prepare".

Maybe benefit of the doubt, seeing as its early in my day and I need more coffee :wink:

But...the rest is still a load of old toot.
  • ddraver wrote:

Bull

Crap

In a word.... The only chance Saxo have of coming away with anything from the biggest race on the calender? He'll do it even if Riis has to run in front of him the whole way dressed like this:-

IC55316.jpg

Is that modelled on Lady Gaga?
  • ddraver wrote:

Bull

Crap

IC55316.jpg

Laughing at your own unoriginal joke. Jeez...
  • But LL, you have to admit that Bertie is talking absolute toot about threatening not to ride the Tour. You, me, everyone, knows that nothing will keep him away. Thats just childish stamping of feet stuff.
  • But LL, you have to admit that Bertie is talking absolute toot about threatening not to ride the Tour. You, me, everyone, knows that nothing will keep him away. Thats just childish stamping of feet stuff.

he most likely will ride the Tour, the mans just trying to use whatever leverage he has...

All i'm saying is its nice to see the Adults having a reasoned discussion as usual. :roll:

he most likely will ride the Tour, the mans just trying to use whatever leverage he has...

All i'm saying is its nice to see the Adults having a reasoned discussion as usual. :roll:

well, if you think me referring to the irony of Bertie's comments plus the stamping of feet, is unreasonable, I'd have to wonder what counts as reasoned in your book
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    p00z05zt.jpg

well, if you think me referring to the irony of Bertie's comments plus the stamping of feet, is unreasonable, I'd have to wonder what counts as reasoned in your book

Original comment was aimed more at ddraver and his very predicatble response. He doesn't talk about the Schlecks much these days, do you ddraver? :wink:
  • My irony-meter has just exploded....

All smoke and mirrors with this guy - after all was he not the guy who threw his toys out and confirmed he would retire if would guilty.

Used to think he was OK but now, well lets just say he is off my Christmas list, good thing really as its quite expensive to send that beef via courier.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ddraver
    Sorry LL, but I make no apologies for calling anyone out when they re talking utter rubbish

Saxo will be invited and Contador will be on the start line in July

A Zero tolerance approach to doping would mean that Contador would never have won anything

That is the reality, no amount of interviews will change it.

When the schlecks say something so utterly ridiculous I ll be the first to criticise them, but for now they have the good sense to keep their traps shut!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Sorry LL, but I make no apologies for calling anyone out when they re talking utter rubbish

Saxo will be invited and Contador will be on the start line in July

A Zero tolerance approach to doping would mean that Contador would never have won anything

That is the reality, no amount of interviews will change it.

When the schlecks say something so utterly ridiculous I ll be the first to criticise them, but for now they have the good sense to keep their traps shut!

I have no issue with anybody making constructive criticism - my issue is with people ruining every serious Contador thread with immediate Beef/Steak/etc jokes. Of course Contador is going to come under fire for this, hence why I have titled it 'Can of worms'. Your last response could have been your first and made for a better conversation.
  • ddraver
    My first response was....

I assumed no one would.Gove any creedance to the tour nonsense in the same way no one gives creedance to 8 year old girls when they say they re going to scweam and scweam and scweam till I'm thsick! (sic)
    - @ddraver
  • Not reading any of the posts on here. But no doubt you losers are are Contador hating. Chuckle.

You berate him for not saying anything about dopers then he says something about dopers and you...berate him. Nice logic there; I'd love to trade against minds like yours. Fun times.

250-RTR2P1R2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Frenchie, its the irony of the whole interview that's really rather funny. Dopers should be banned for life, he's now pontificating...except Bertie himself, natch
  • ddraver
    Well it's clear you have nt read any of it frenchie...
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    You cant blame people for constantly bringing up the "Steak" jokes.

To come up with an excuse like that, and expect anyone to keep a straight face, shows how stupid Contador is/was.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Well Armstrong never admitted to doping, imagine if he came out with something like this. Granted the evidence against him is stronger but even so...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    mike6 wrote:

I can and I will.

That genuinely has ruined the forum more than the tedious Contador chat.
  • ddraver
    In my defence it was a 50 50 choice between Riis in front in the Steak Costume or Riis behind kicking him up the arse...

I made my choice and I stand by it.

I was hoping to find this picture but the boss was on the prowl:-
    225px-Bear_Baiter_Magazine.jpg

Unfortunately, we re always talking about Contador saying stupid stuff because Contador is always saying stupid stuff (or because one poster is always saying stupid stuff about Contador)
    - @ddraver
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    mike6 wrote:

I can and I will.

sorry rick, but thats not a great atitude for a guy who is the site admin.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    mike6 wrote:

I can and I will.

There are many who see this forum and want to fillet with steak jokes. They will milk them for all they are worth and ruin the moooood. Don't cowtow to them, grab the bull be the horns and take a hard loin. Let's stop trying to t-rump each other and say tartar such udder nonsense.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    . Let's stop trying to t-rump each other

:lol: Beautiful!! :lol:
    - @ddraver
  • mike6 wrote:

To come up with an excuse like that, and expect anyone to keep a straight face, shows how stupid Contador is/was.

Better excuse than Frank Schlecks 'they must have poisoned me' line, but that doesn't get brought up all the time, even though he will probably get nothing more than a slapped wrist - ddraver you used to rant and rave about 'at least Schleck doesn't...' whenever we had the Contador argument - you don't seem to use that anymore, and if we are going into the whole guilt by association thing then being Franks brother, training partner, confident, house-mate i'd say that makes Andy just as guilty..

Contador has been sanctioned for his offence whether he admits or not so I don't really know why people are screaming blue murder all over again. Of course now they want him done again because he rode for Armstrongs team, or because he rides for Riis, or because he had contact with a dodgy doctor...oh the whole guilty by association thing - works for most when it suits as usual, except the people calling for Contadors head again (even though he's been sanctioned) are the same people that cried like babies when Sky started sacking people off for having contact with Armstrong/Dodgy Doctors etc with the old 'oo it's not fair' 'they are just picking on Sky' blah blah blah...
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Aslo, it's not been mentioned but December edition of ProCycling with Contador on the cover - the inside article is a good read whether a fan or not, insight into the mind of somebody who races to win rather than to get paid, and I must say very pro-Contador concerning Clengate.

I wouldn't say that at all. Pretty non-comittal IIRC. However they did say the whole case took too long which most, whether pro- or anti-Steak-Boy, would agree with.
  • twotyred wrote:

I wouldn't say that at all. Pretty non-comittal IIRC. However they did say the whole case took too long which most, whether pro- or anti-Steak-Boy, would agree with.

They did mention how the Clen was 400 times smaller than the ammount needed for WADA anti-doping regs to raise the issue, and i found the tone of that whole paragraph very sympathetic towards Contador.
  • ddraver
    You need to start comparing your hero to someone more appropriate, No one has even implied that Frank Schleck is some paragon of virtue to which all cyclists should be compared.

I'm not sure why you think I'm some moral arbiter for the Schlecks but my condemnation of him during the Tour could nt be misinterpreted. However, as I ve said above, the reason we re not always talking about the Schlecks saying something stupid I'd because they don't say anything. I'd much rather that they came out with strong condemnations of Contador, Armstrong or whoever, like say, Marcel Kittel or Bradley Wiggins, but they don't give us the option either way. Contador on the other hand is always opening his mouth then ramming his foot into it.

Contador has been convicted of doping and banned, Frank Schleck is being investigated (I presume), Andy Schleck has no doping convictions, that is a simple, basic fact and no amount of fanboi-ism will alter it. You then condemn Andy Schleck by association before telling us how wrong we are to condemn Contador by association.

I have a lot of respect for Sky's approach, and little sympathy with their naysayers, they re not perfect but they are openly trying harder to be so. I wish every team was like them, whoever their riders are.
    - @ddraver