Compensation for a road debris accident?

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Has anyone ever successfully claimed compensation from the local council when road debris caused you to fall off?
I was on a cycle path on the road, which is unlit (in the dark) due to council cutbacks when I hit a plank of wood, that must have fallen off a tradesman's van, and came off. Bike is more or less okay but I won't be riding for at least 5 days as my knee is badly cut and bruised and other bits as well. Is it worth me claiming as the council have supposedly done a risk assessment on the roads that no longer have street lighting in the evenings. I had 2 front lights on, but didn't see the plank. Thoughts?

Comments

• Highway code rule 126 says "Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear."

If the council have turned the lights off, that doesn't mean you should cycle at the same speed you would have done if they were still on!

I do hope your knee and 'other bits' recover soon!
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I had 2 front lights on, but didn't see the plank. Thoughts?

Better lights, glasses, ride slower...
  • Fair enough.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Sorry but this thread is just annoying.
  • Sorry but this thread is just annoying.

Perhaps you claim some form of compensation as it wasn't clearly marked as an annoying thread.
  • 'Sorry but this thread is just annoying'

Remind me to check levels of annoyance with you before I post next time, arse.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    There is an element of what's 'reasonable' and a plank could have fallen off at any point. E.g. if a big pot hole had been reported some weeks ago (and could be proved), and you'd crashed into it, then you 'may' have a claim.

I've come off my bike following a 'dairy product' spillage. Ended up with very nasty gravel rash.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Did you milk it for compensation, fossy?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Jeepie wrote:
    Did you milk it for compensation, fossy?

No, I felt it was a bit cheesy to do that :lol: