Back on a MTB

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Been out of mountain biking for quite a few years now.
Even my last MTB (a Trek 6500 with upgraded Rock Shox SID Race forks) was mainly used on the roads.
So reading up nowadays about 29er's was a new thing.

So a trip to Evans in Milton Keynes was on the cards.

I'm already into bikes having my road bike so I know what to look for in quality etc.
I wanted something good enough for leisure rides really to accompany my XC running and road running that I also do. Just to mix things up.

I had a budget of around £8-900ish so I wanted a bit of a bargain.
Evans did have some nice bikes but none of the displayed models seemed to tick the box for me.
Although a couple of Pinncle models looked like good value.

Anyway, a trip to Phil Corley Cycles in MK was great.
Firstly, we spotted a lovely little Trek Marlin 29er that the wife instantly liked.
£200 off the RRP. So we snapped it up.

My purchase was made to wait a little as I couldn't decide between 2 bikes they had on offer being 2012 models.
Trey Superfly AL 2012 29er or the Elite model equivalent. Both were in my required size and both on reduced special offer.
The £200 price difference was a tough choice though with the base model sitting at a reduced £899 and the Elite reduced down to £1099.
I took the plunge and went for the Elite. I liked the SLX hydraulic brakes with ajustable lever reach. Basically there isn't much between the 2 bikes but the finishing kit on the Elite was better specced and this is a bike I want to buy and leave alone really.

The breif test ride on tarmac showed me just how balanced the 29er's are. Acceleration wasn't as bad as I was expecting either.
The bike's weight was pretty good and Trek's high standards of quality certainly showed through (even on the wife's little Marlin it is good).
So we came away with 2 bikes after going for a browse.

I can't wait to get out properly for a ride. Our local area has opened up nicely now for MTB'ers to cycle using proper paths/tracks nowadays so it'll be great fun. I'm not a fair weather only person when it comes to getting out there (although the road bike I am moreso) so I'll be getting very muddy.
With no money left at all for any spd pedals and MTB shoes I'm going to just enjoy riding it in my toe clips and trainers.

Here's to some quality off-road miles.

Comments

• As a local, I hope to see you on the trails, quite often do the Downs and Ashridge.

Corleys has a great reputation - has often be frequented by our group I believe.

FYI too late now but Trek have a shop in Cotswold near MK station. Worth popping for a nosey for parts, upgrades, kit and servicing. Also have a costa coffee for the missus
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • stevenb
    What group/club are you in?
    I don't belong to any other than the Dunstable Road Runners who also have a cycling group.

PC's are great. I've bought loads of bikes/stuff from them over the years and the chap serving said he'll happily give me a useful 15% discount off any parts/cothing etc i want.

Reading up on a review of my bike I might upgrade the wheels coem end of March but they'll do very nicely for now.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Glad you are looking forward to it, bumps and mud are way more fun than smooth and avoiding cars.
    stevenb wrote:
    With no money left at all for any spd pedals and MTB shoes I'm going to just enjoy riding it in my toe clips and trainers.

I wouldn't bother with toe clips off road, though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Toe clips are the work of the devil off road. Avoid them.
    Get some decent flat pedals all you need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stevenb
    cooldad wrote:
    Toe clips are the work of the devil off road. Avoid them.
    Get some decent flat pedals all you need.

Yeah. Been checking out some cheap spd's on the bay.
    Will see what Santa brings......but will remove the clips n straps for now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some used reasonable flats, shouldn't cost you much over a fiver to sort you safe until you can go clipless.....

Plug - have some steel pinned Wellgo's I'll do for £6 delivered, nothing brilliant but a good relaible pedal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stevenb wrote:
    I don't belong to any other than the Dunstable Road Runners who also have a cycling group.

PC's are great. I've bought loads of bikes/stuff from them over the years and the chap serving said he'll happily give me a useful 15% discount off any parts/cothing etc i want.

Reading up on a review of my bike I might upgrade the wheels coem end of March but they'll do very nicely for now.

There's a Thursday night ride - 7.30pm from Leighton buzzard (clock tower) - a very sociable group called the Lumens Loonies. Part of the buzzcycles group. Also have a Sunday ride 9am and a family ride at 11.

There is also a Tuesday night ride from Heath & Reach, and if you get in touch with Pedalworks bike shop in Dunstable (nearer for you), I'm told they are starting some group rides also.

Paul

• stevenb
    Get some used reasonable flats, shouldn't cost you much over a fiver to sort you safe until you can go clipless.....

Plug - have some steel pinned Wellgo's I'll do for £6 delivered, nothing brilliant but a good relaible pedal.

Thanks for the kind offer.
    I shall see what happens over Xmas.
    I have a couple of Road bike bits to sell so they will cover a pair of clipless pedals.
    Just then need to fund some cheap shoes/cleats but places lile CRC or ebay should help.
  • stevenb
    stevenb wrote:

There's a Thursday night ride - 7.30pm from Leighton buzzard (clock tower) - a very sociable group called the Lumens Loonies. Part of the buzzcycles group. Also have a Sunday ride 9am and a family ride at 11.

There is also a Tuesday night ride from Heath & Reach, and if you get in touch with Pedalworks bike shop in Dunstable (nearer for you), I'm told they are starting some group rides also.

Paul

Sounds good. Doubt I'll be doing any night rides just yet though as my little lights are not in the same league as some of the latest offerings...lol
  • stevenb
    First ride today.
    The postman delivered my Ribble parcel of Shimano XC30 shoes and Ritchey V4 comp pedals and off I went.
    Got seriously caked in mud, well and truly christened my shoes but what great fun!

The Superfly AL Elite is an amazing bike to ride. Sure footed, predictable handling and even the sticky, rutted, horse hoof trodden paths didn't stop me making swift progress. On the Tarmac it felt stable and safe even with muddy tyres.

Really chuffed with it. Going to wash it now.....and the shoes. 8)
  • Where did you ride?

Sounds like you're really enjoying the bike.

Did Woburn this morning and it was awesome - not a soul around at 8am :7)

• stevenb
    Where did you ride?

Sounds like you're really enjoying the bike.

Did Woburn this morning and it was awesome - not a soul around at 8am :7)

Down the Green Lanes right where I live, then into Totternhoe, back into the lanes, to the Downs, Whipsnade, Studham, Downs and back home.

Oh, I got a puncture about a hundred yards from home....typical.....lol

Woburn track looks like fun. I've walked it.
    Is it really muddy or just a bed of leaves and pine needles?