Mallorca today

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited December 2012 in Your road bikes
Having ridden all over Mallorca for the last two years and covered just about every climb and road except one, I thought I would have a go at it today. Big challenge for a fat bloke like me so i thought I would share some pics. Its a really lovely road to ride sa colabra. Many on here have ridden it but I never have and thought I would share some pictures for those that fancy coming here on a week break. You must do this road. Must admit on a 53/39 and a 25 on the back its a bit of a killer on the legs. For those that dont know you have to climb up to the top of the col de Reis before dropping down the most amazing road to then have to climb it back up again so you have to climb it twice really. Enjoy the pics
DSC01500-1.jpg
DSC01511-1.jpg
DSC01519.jpg
DSC01521.jpg
DSC01521.jpg
DSC01524.jpg
DSC01525.jpg
DSC01540.jpg
DSC01555.jpg
]

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Wow. I had to ride around in the pouring rain today. That just looks amazing.

At least you've got a nice bike to get up those hills! If I attempted it on my BSA I think I would probably give up and turn around ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • yes ive seen the news and weather in the uk pretty shocking stuff, although i do like a bit of severe weather now and again.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    edited November 2012
    That looks a bit like the climb Wiggins was doing on the Sky programme the other day. What's the number on the back of the bike all about.

Not envious, by the way. Much...
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Thanks for sharing :D

Not jealous much !!! :mrgreen:
  • fuzzbear
    fuzzbear Posts: 112
    WOW :shock: Looks amazing.. would love to have a crack at a climb like that.

2nd - looks like the Wiggo climb on telly..
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    So jealous of the rides in Mallorca.. Oxfordshire yesterday:

water.JPG
  • yes its the same climb they all do it when they are here.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ecial.html

number was a present from my dad its his lucky number so I keep it on the bike. I change the number for the sportives.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    That Scott looks so nice.

I was torn between a Scott and FELT AR for my bike.
  • Awesome scenery! Looks like one hell of a ride...

It's dripping wet where I am... not putting in enough miles... :cry:
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Was out there in Sept for a week with the family in Soller. Managed 3 longer runs ans headed out of Solller and up over and down the Colabra everytime. The descent is phonomenal although still think the decent out the tunnel and back to Soller is better as the hairpins aren't so tight. The road surfaces are like glass which makes things even better.
    Lucky B@stard!
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    So jealous :(

I really enjoyed my time there last May.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    That looks amazing!.. nice bike to!

I would love to have that on my doorstep, there really would be no excuses to not have legs like sir chris hoy!! :D
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Thanks for those pics Jeff, I think ! March can't come quick enough !
    It is a great climb and your committed once you get down the bottom, no way back other than up unlees you've got a bike that floats !
    How long did the climb take you ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Road looks so nice and a lovely bike
    ....did a mountain bike ride today, came back covered in mud, I've never had so many off's :(

I need some sun
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • agreed the descent to soller is a much better ride Im going that way this weekend. To get back up from bottom of colabra took me 52 mins! pretty slow really but with 39/25 somewhat too tall a gear really but hey ho. Very quiet this time of year and the weathers great up to xmas its the first 4 months of the year that are really cold. Shame the island virtually shuts now tourist wise as its a mecca at the moment. roads are virtually empty 20 degrees and sunny but very few hotels for people to stay in, and spain wonders why the economy is dead?????
    March will be nice but bring some good wind proof gloves the air will be cold then for sure! esp on the descents and early mornings
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    You lucky sod jeff,lovely pics.
    Back in the uk its p*ssing down floods everywhere.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • ahh well dont worry when we have rain in the next few days I will post a pic to even the score up!
  • so that's the colobra then, it's a good climb, not too steep but very interesting

i love guys with numbers on their bikes, so pro :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    You are a lucky man, it looks amazing!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Having ridden all over Mallorca for the last two years and covered just about every climb and road except one, I thought I would have a go at it today. Big challenge for a fat bloke like me so i thought I would share some pics. Its a really lovely road to ride sa colabra.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying! For a moment, I thought you said you'd lived in Mallorca for two years without having ridden Sa Calobra. Now obviously, every one on here, if they moved to Mallorca, would do Sa Calobra within 36 hours of arriving so I think you just need to rephrase the above so it makes sense because it clearly doesn't so far :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • No Rolf I am right didnt want to go down there incase I didnt make it back up haha but in the end was no where near as hard as I thought and there are tougher climbs on the island (including the one to get to it I think) Have to say it was nice but its not the best road here soller is much better and even the normal way back to pollenca from the top by the garage is prefer.
    Oh and to even the score up we have got snow this morning on the mountains and two full days or torrential rain its freezing here now too :-(
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    No Rolf I am right didnt want to go down there incase I didnt make it back up haha but in the end was no where near as hard as I thought and there are tougher climbs on the island (including the one to get to it I think) Have to say it was nice but its not the best road here soller is much better and even the normal way back to pollenca from the top by the garage is prefer.
    Oh and to even the score up we have got snow this morning on the mountains and two full days or torrential rain its freezing here now too :-(

Can we have pictures of that too :mrgreen:
  • We only have a dusting on the tops of the mountains today but my god weve had 48 hrs of incredible rain, but heres some from last Feb.
    P1120381.jpg
    P1120383.jpg
    P1120401.jpg
    P1130025.jpg
    P1130041.jpg
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    That's not snow !! ive seen more white stuff on a victoria sponge i had last week at the cafe stop 8)
  • the frost we get up here is deeper ;)
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Even when it snows I want to be there.
    Love Mallorca whether it's cycling, swimming, boozing ....
    Just a small lottery win and I'd be off, no question.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • you dont need a lottery win mate although work is nigh on non existent at the moment. we did have proper snow too but have not uploaded one of those pics! cor I miss victoria sponges, (and marmite) :-(
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Great pics. A dozen from my club are heading out next year and that climb is on the list :D