Snowdon Solo ?

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited November 2012 in Routes
Afternoon all

I have a pass out on the 8th Dec for a whole days biking, so thinking something like Snowdon may be in order

However, i tend to ride solo most of the time.

Has anyone done Snowdon solo ? advisable ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• allez24
    allez24 Posts: 71
    edited November 2012
    Hi there.....I did it solo up and down the Rangers path on a Tuesday in September. I set off at 2pm and reached the summit at 4-40pm. It was beautiful weather at the base bloody cold half way up, a hail storm hit me 3/4 of the way up and it was misty and pissing down at the top. The cup of tea in the cafe was very welcome. I was the only bike rider on the trail and got lots of encouragement from the many walkers on the way up. I rode the trail on a Canyon full suss shod with tubeless Nobby Nicks. Wrap up well it really is cold up there on top of that there 'hill', keep hydrated, dont be ashamed of walking as some of it is unrideable (I would say that, I'm a pensioner), dont forget to touch the trig point, retain your receipt from the cafe as some doubting b*stard is sure to doubt what you have done. I found it extremely emotional as I had never done anything as extreme as this before so much so I cried when I reached the bottom, I hope you feel the same. It really is a blast, do it, enjoy it, respect it, ignore the rescue helicopter 'buzzing' you they are only saying hello, most of all have fun and when youv'e done that go to Blaenau Festiniog get a 3 quid uplift and do the red or black route......you'll piss it after Snowdon.
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge.....
    Argument is an exchange of ignorance...
  • Just as an aside I did not say you would wee-wee Blaenau Festiniog.............someone stepped in and put that in. Use you amigination as to what I said. Sorry but that statement has lost its effect.
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge.....
    Argument is an exchange of ignorance...
  • In December conditions at top of Snowdon could be very wintry and cold - so you need to be prepared for want that might mean. Any windchill will make the temperature very cold. Possibly icy/snowy - all depends on what weather does. Remember that what might be passable at valley level could be wicked up top.There is no shelter up there as the cafe will be closed at that time of the year and the train doesn't run. Think like a mountaineer on a bike and you'll be fine!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    maringirl wrote:
    In December conditions at top of Snowdon could be very wintry and cold - so you need to be prepared for want that might mean. Any windchill will make the temperature very cold. Possibly icy/snowy - all depends on what weather does. Remember that what might be passable at valley level could be wicked up top.There is no shelter up there as the cafe will be closed at that time of the year and the train doesn't run. Think like a mountaineer on a bike and you'll be fine!

This ^^

I am local to Snowdon and have ridden it loads solo, if you are riding solo try and stick to trails that are used more by walkers, it wont be busy on the paths but at least in the unlikely event that you have an off there will be someone around. I wouldn't come down the Rangers solo, its a good gnarly ride down but not walked that much.

Take a good warm layer to put on at the top, you will get cold after the sweatfest ride up and it will keep you warm on the way down, some thicker gloves will be good to come back down with too.

I always pack that little bit more to go up there, might be a little more weight but you never know.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hmmm, not sure it's something that I would do solo i'm afraid.

Regardless of the trail / how good a rider you are, surely if you did (god forbid) have an off then you could be waiting A VERY long time in potentially bad-winter-mountain conditions before anyone stumbled across you? That adds a whole different perspective on it.

I get the whole solo riding at trail centre's etc as chances are someone will be along soon (and it's all made to be rideable anyway), but i'm not convinced by solo riding on natural stuff - especially stuff like Snowdon in the winter. I don't ride by myself off-road in the New Forest, I know the terrain blah blah, but you just never know.

Sorry :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    Hmmm, not sure it's something that I would do solo i'm afraid.

Regardless of the trail / how good a rider you are, surely if you did (god forbid) have an off then you could be waiting A VERY long time in potentially bad-winter-mountain conditions before anyone stumbled across you? That adds a whole different perspective on it.

I get the whole solo riding at trail centre's etc as chances are someone will be along soon (and it's all made to be rideable anyway), but i'm not convinced by solo riding on natural stuff - especially stuff like Snowdon in the winter. I don't ride by myself off-road in the New Forest, I know the terrain blah blah, but you just never know.

Sorry :?

i ride by myself quite often out on natural stuff, nothing wrong with it really as long as you take the usual precautions - telling people where you are going, when you'll be back etc. i also run endomondo so my gf can check where i am if i'm not back when i say i will be. also there's phone signal on most of snowdon so as long as you're not knocked out you should be able to call for help.
  • miss notax
    Yep, I understand that some people do and I don't think there is anything wrong with that :D It's all down to the risks that you personally are prepared to take isn't it?

I can only speak for myself - and would I do it, no. Just my opinion :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    Yep, I understand that some people do and I don't think there is anything wrong with that :D It's all down to the risks that you personally are prepared to take isn't it?

yeah, i struggle with the 2 ft road drop at cwmcarn, but i'd ride snowdon solo in the snow, surely i have my risks the wrong way around :lol:
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol:

• I would worry less about the solo element of riding snowdon as on any given weekend the popular routes are usually pretty busy with walkers. However i'd thing twice about the weather on snowdon in december, it not liklely to be pleasent at best.

saying that i've been up there in may and seen snow so waiting for good wethear could be a long old undertaking!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    You just have to be man enough to be able to decide when to turn back. I have been 3/4 of the way up and canned it. When the cloud comes down you cant see your hand in front of your face, all too easy to roll off the edge.

Trouble with Snowdon IMO is that they have turned it into too much of a tourist attraction and its too easy to walk up in a pair of flip flops (people do). For some it takes away the realism of how dangerous the place is and that you do need to take the right kit and be a bit mountain/outdoor savvy.

Riding solo up there isnt an issue as long as you use common sense and know when to make that decision to turn around. Yeah you can have an off but that could happen anywhere and not be found for hours.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Snow on the tops at the moment, check out this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=523326 not worth doing if it is iced over imo.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    im going to Antur now instead

maybe Snowdon in the spring