Replacement stem

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited November 2012 in Workshop
Stripped thread on the stem so need to replace it. Quickly measured bar and it's something lik 180mm, does this sound right?

Height of the stack is 50mm. Happy with stem length seems around 10-11cm, happy with angle

any way of finding info from existing model without measuring to exact dimensions?

4unth.jpg
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If it's the steerer end can you get away with longer screws and a couple of nuts?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Not sure what you're saying is 180mm?

There are a few measurements you need to know.

1. Size of steerer - where the stem clamps to your fork. Will be either 1" or 1 1/8". Just measure it with a ruler - easy to tell the difference.

2. Size of bar clamp. Either standard size - 26.0mm - or oversized - 31.8mm. Often says this on the bar so have a look at that. Easy to measure too.

3. Length of stem - measured from centre of clamp hole to centre of bar. From what you say yours sounds like 100 or 110mm. Easy to measure.

4. Angle of stem. Harder to measure this one. Might say on it somewhere (usually near the stem clamp and something like 6*).

From the picture I would say you have a 1 1/8 (common) steerer and a regular sized clamp with about a 6* angle.

Something like this would do - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=78780
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    had a quick look, 25.4 is on the bar. Will a 26mm stem be ok?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Probably - modern open face plate stems (as opposed to the old single bolt ones) do a reasonable job for both sizes.

But to be sure you could get an mtb stem - 25.4 is the standard for flat bars.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.