Help with setting my budget

Chelloveck
Chelloveck Posts: 15
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Hello. Completely new to mountain biking, so I don't have any gear at all apart from a couple of introductory books and maps. A bit alarmed that I might end up spending more on other essentials than the bike itself! So, I was wondering what you educated people think is necessary and how much I should spend (roughly) on things other than the bike itself. I was thinking of parting between £300-500 on the (hardtail) bike itself, but to narrow my bike budget I need to work out how much everything else will cost.

Ideally, if you could give me some rough figures on the following items (budget if possible, but not so cheap as to be cost-ineffective):

HELMET
CLOTHING
MULTI-TOOL
SPARE TUBES
OILS/OTHER MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS
PUMP
TYRE LEVERS
CO2 CARTRIDGE
DERAILLEUR HANGER/SRAM POWERLINK

...also...

- Is a hydration pack absolutely necessary? Would a rucksack be OK for the time being?
- I was planning on wearing my Asics running shoes. Good grip and lightweight. Do I really need to invest in some cycling shoes?
- Is a chain checker (measuring tool) worth while? I read somewhere that it is important to check the chain is taught so it can be replaced if needed.

I'm planning to ride trails in the Peak District. Easy to begin with, and then work towards the more challenging routes. In all seasons.

Sorry if I'm asking a lot in this thread or if I'm being vague. Just rough estimates would be great so I can get onto planning my bike budget. And if I have missed something stupidly obvious then I apologize! MASSIVE THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Comments

• Just start with a helmet. Cyclestore do a good quality specialized for £21 http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... oryID=1096
    A set of park tools tyre levers £3, some park tooks self adhesive pads £3 and a pump £10.
    Multi too for about a tenner also but not essential. (a 5mm and a 3mm alen key and a small flat spanner will fix most things)

Clothing - sports gear is fine and a jacket. You can build it up as time goes by. You certainly do not need CO2 or a hydration pack. Yes a backpack is fine with a bottle of squash, or a bottle and cage for the bike. Wiggle sell em super cheap!

Glasses are a good idea and you can get cheap safety specs from fleabay for a few quid or amazon for about £6.

Spend as much on the bike as you can afford. Then just build up the rest over time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he ^^^^^^^^^ said.

I've been using the same pair of old trainers for more than 5 years and before that I used to run in them. Mainly held together with mud and horse sh1t but...
    Funnily enough Asics as well. They didn't fit nicely for running (I have Puma shaped feet) but work fine for riding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Halfords get new stock of Hoodoos in mid December. They've usually got accessories on some kind of deal. I got a bike and everything you mentioned, give or take, for a quid under £500 last week.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Thank you gents. This is music to my ears. As suggested, I'll try and pump the bulk of my funds in the machine itself and pick up accessories later. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on Halford's website as well.
  • If buying new, the voodoo is definitely the bike I'd go for. It's a great piece of kit for a comparatively small outlay (nothing is cheap though). Also if you sign up to British cycling - quite cheap and has its benefits - I believe you save 10% at the till :D don't hang around though cos if the new stock is coming, the old stock will shift quickly.

You don't need a bladder in your pack but if you see one going cheap, get it. A nice pair or bum cushioning cycling shorts or tights from Sports direct or Aldi when they have the cycle gear in, will be well used and very welcome by your saw arse! Football socks help against the weather and stinging nettles! Pick up some well fitting gloves in the sales. Other than that your covered.

You really can do it all ons budget if you shop about and look for news and advice on here

Enjoy
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    HELMET - I picked up a cheapo in Lidl for a tenner but does for job for XC duties. Generally a good idea to keep checking on lidl website if they are doing cycling deals, someone usually mentions it on here. Same for Aldi. You don't need to spend silly money. max £20

CLOTHING - as above but decathlon do some cheap bits. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-10828-cycling I would recommend getting some lycra padded shorts (under £10), even if worn under other shorts to make riding more comfortable. Sports direct also do them but not same quality as aldi/decathlon. Non-specific clothing is great as it's generally cheaper. Waterproof trousers? Army Surplus is a good shout on ebay (£15), light and breathable and don't cost £100. I would highly recommend gloves for when you come off, again look around for deals in the main stores mentioned already.

MULTI-TOOL Asda do a kit for about £6 and it's served me fine. Although just some allen keys will do. We have a http://www.buyology.co.uk/our-stores near us and they do cheap tools, i.e. adjustable spanners

SPARE TUBES - internet searching really. Supermarkets etc tend to be schrader valve types.

OILS/OTHER MAINTENANCE PRODUCTS - some sort of chain lube (£3-5), worth getting now than running the chain dry. Some general grease for doing maintenance. Some will use castrol LM from halfords for a fiver, others suggest using teflon based such as TF2.

PUMP Asda do cheap track pumps. If you already have a footpump, i.e. for a car then if you are getting a hoodoo you will need a presta valve adapter. A recommend a decent metal one for a couple of quid.

TYRE LEVERS - comes with bell multi tool from asda

CO2 CARTRIDGE - get a cheap pocket pump for taking out with you.

DERAILLEUR HANGER/SRAM POWERLINK - hanger when you've got a spare tenner and in halfords. Powerlink... I couldn't do without, cheapest for a few was on ebay

hydration pack - Tesco do one which I find adequate for £13. I had a problem with it tasting funny but rinsing it out with cheap vodka worked. I now put squash in it and that helps.

cycling shoes - for flats I suggest going TK Max or somewhere that does cheap flat skate shoes. £20?

chain checker (measuring tool) - I would get one to check your chain for stretch, saves money long term as you should only have to replace the chain and not chain/cassette if you left it too long. (about a fiver)

other stuff?
    A shock pump might be a good idea but see if you can get halfords to set up for fork for you or borrow one off a friend.
    This time of year mud guards etc are a good idea. Make your own with an old inner tube to make a similar one as a neoguard. Could make your own muckynutz fender or splash out on £6 to £9, just don't tell CWNT!
    Glasses as mentioned
    Maintenance books - just look it up online and use youtube. Get stuck? Post it on the tech section for someone to re-direct you back to parktools ;)

If you are getting the hoodoo, I found the pedals rather crap, decent wellgos can be had for around £20 if you want to change them.

I hope that helps and obviously some stuff can be bought at a later date and in dribs and drabs. I tend to use chainreactions as a base cost and try and better it.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    oh and the post above just reminded me of shin pads if you are slipping (or plain clumbsy like me) off the pedals and mashing your shins into the pedal pins. £3 cheapos do the job.
  • Pedals most definitely. the difference is huge. Subscribe to what mountainbike and you get a deal on Superstar Nano's I think I saw. If its the case then I'm gonna check it out. Depends if you buy the mags or not of course.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • This is all super useful stuff. Thanks to everyone.

paulneenan76 - Yep, the Hoodoo is my current favourite. I was aware of the British Cycling promo from another thread but cheers for the prompt. Well worth it if you end up spending £100's.

anj132 - really useful reply. Some great suggestions there - I'll be sure to look into them all. Shin pads! Completely forgot about those...well worth a 3 quid investment as you say.

paulneenan76 - interesting. Will look into this. Hope to try SPD in the future as well if I survive my first few biking exploits!
  • Hello again. I just ordered a brand new Voodoo Hoodoo 20" for £413.57! Here's how I did it:

Original cost - £500
    - £40 with online promotion
    - £46 with British Cycling 10% discount
    + £13.50 for British Cycling membership fee
    - £13.93 through Top Cash Back (admittedly this will take a few weeks to arrive back in my account)

...total cost... £413.57 (give or take a few pence). Pretty chuffed with myself. I pick it up on Sunday. It's sold out in a lot of stores so I am traveling quite a distance but I happen to be in the area where I am picking it up from this weekend anyway. I was interested in the Rock Rider 8.1, but it too has sold out in my local stores and would have cost £100+ more than the voodoo when you add flat pedals into the mix.

Anyway...a big thanks to those who helped me above. Glad you lot encouraged me to invest as much as possible in the bike. I can pick up the other essentials gradually (hopefully with x-mas vouchers as I have now spent up!).

Cheers.
  • Chelloveck wrote:
    Hello again. I just ordered a brand new Voodoo Hoodoo 20" for £413.57! Here's how I did it:

Original cost - £500
    - £40 with online promotion
    - £46 with British Cycling 10% discount
    + £13.50 for British Cycling membership fee
    - £13.93 through Top Cash Back (admittedly this will take a few weeks to arrive back in my account)

...total cost... £413.57 (give or take a few pence). Pretty chuffed with myself. I pick it up on Sunday. It's sold out in a lot of stores so I am traveling quite a distance but I happen to be in the area where I am picking it up from this weekend anyway. I was interested in the Rock Rider 8.1, but it too has sold out in my local stores and would have cost £100+ more than the voodoo when you add flat pedals into the mix.

Anyway...a big thanks to those who helped me above. Glad you lot encouraged me to invest as much as possible in the bike. I can pick up the other essentials gradually (hopefully with x-mas vouchers as I have now spent up!).

Cheers.

Superb work there! That's a cracking price for a really good bike!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    All good advice.

Most things you need you can get cheaply - Aldi often sell cycling stuff - and it will do the job.

You can start out with a few basic things - then get what you want/need when you find the limitations of what you have. The only cycling-specific clothing you need is a helmet and some shorts. All helmets have to meet the same safety standards so get one that fits well, and that you are happy to wear - that could be a £25 lid or a £100 lid. Shorts are vital for comfort - but all you need are the padded liners.

Shoes and pedals go together... it is well worth getting decent flats (it will cost less than spds and spd shoes) - MG1s are £30 odd, and will give you good grip with skate style shoes. Whatever shoes you wear need to have the right soles - I tried my walking shoes (trainer style 'approach' shoes) but the soles were too hard and they were lethal: no grip at all.

A hydration pack is very handy if you regularly ride for more than a couple of hours as you just run out of water otherwise... but to start with a bottle will do fine.

And if you are feeling adventurous get a couple of £10 XML torches... another £15 for charger, cells and mounts and you can go night riding on the cheap too.

Have fun, and stick up another post when you've spent £1,000... it's very easy to do.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • ya just build up slowly as you go along. The helmet is the only necessity. Once you get a sore arse, you'll buy shorts, when you cut ur hands or they freeze you'll buy gloves etc etc etc. Actually, cleaning stuff is important: degreaser and chain lube and spend some time online figuring out how to clean it properly. Most importantly, just get on the bike and enjoy it!!!
  • 70\'sPenguin - Thanks! After weeks of research, it feels good to have finally placed an order!

Bartimaeus - Right, I am going to look into pedals but I'll see what the stock ones are like first. Thanks for the MG1 suggestion. I probably will end up getting a cheapish hydration pack for convenience. And I will look into torches after I am used to the bike in daylight conditions. Cheers!

roverthehill - A good point, that's what I need to research now over the next few days. Can you recommend any cleaning/ maintenance MTB guides? Google brings up a variety of options and I'm not sure which is best. I have bought some TF2, and I'll avoid jet washing for the sake of the bearings, and washing up liquid because of the salt content...and other do's and dont's? I want to maintain the bike the best I can from day 1!
  • Like others have said, most of the kit you can get by without at first, especially the clothing, and especially at this time of year, where you don't have to worry about keeping cool. The exceptions to this are glasses,gloves and shorts - you'll appreciate the padding on longer rides, gloves will help save your hands when you come off and glasses are essential when its muddy (i made this mistake on the Wiggle South Downs Epic, I swear there was more crap in my eyes then there was on the bike). Decathlon are OK for the price for all of these.

Multi tool - make sure you buy one with a chain breaker, lots of the cheaper ones don't have them and I'd say they were essential.

Hydration packs - not essential, but again decathlon do a pretty good one for £16.

Helmet - I'd go with what 70s Penguin suggests - you can get cheaper from Tesco and Lidl, but to me they always look like shiny monstrosities!

Lights - I got one of the chinese Cree xml T6 lights of off ebay - £23 and works fantastic - downside is that it takes a month to turn up, although on the plus side there are now UK sellers on ebay selling them for under £30.

Cleaning - Essential at this time of year. As is lube.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    My tip for cleaning is to get two of these - you can get them very cheap from pound shops. Wash the bike with water. Put some cleaner on the chain (I use FS1 diluted, but muc-off or whatever) and then hold the chain between two the brushes with one hand while you spin the cranks a few times. Rinse with water. Dry with a rag (or it will be rusty next time you use it) and give it a bit of lube.
    Q2150-L.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building