Ibis Mojo HD140 build

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited July 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Guess I might as well start a build thread as the new frame and forks are getting ordered in the morning, will be kicking my heals for a bit as the wait will be about 2 weeks. Still gives me time to collect the parts.

After selling my Santa Cruz Blur LTc I have been finding that my Giant Anthem X1 just is not cutting the mustard. 100mm of travel and quite a steep head angle has left me somewhat disliking my mountain biking. I did a bit of looking around to see what there was, discounting most bikes and deciding that no matter what I could not justify buying a Orange 5 I have elected to go for the Ibis Mojo HD140. Its slap bang between a medium and a large blur top tube length which is what I wanted and its got a similar suspension linkage which I always like the feel of on my SC.

I am going to take a few parts off the Anthem and replace them with lesser parts, the XTR brakes (but with the race levers replaced for servowave trail ones) and XTR shifters are going on this along with the DT Swiss wheels build. I will be going with some Fox 34's spaced down to 150mm of travel as I have been impressed with the fox forks on my giant, far nicer feel than the Rev world cups on my SC.

Anyhow the first bits have arrived:
27666DF6-2714-4E0A-AE6E-CA42CDB2F434-3348-000001A42B859560.jpg
Easton Haven carbon bar and Thomson 4X stem (90mm but it was in the box from the SC build)

Looking at it the build will pretty much as my SC was just with a different frame and forks :lol: Should have just kept the SC....

Spec is:

Frame. Ibis Mojo HD140 Medium Vitamin P
Fork. Fox 34 CTD Float 150 Black
Headset. Chris King inset i3
Wheels. DT240s with Stans Crest rims
Tyres. Schwalbe Hans Dampfs 2.35
Bars. Easton Haven Carbon
Grips. Lizard Skins Peaty lock on
Stem. Thomson 4X
Seatpost. Rock Shox Reverb 2013
Seat. Fizik Gobi braided carbon
Shifters. XTR M980
Brakes. XTR M988 Trail
Rotors. Formula 180/160
Front Mech. XTR M981D
Rear Mech. XTR M986 Shadow +
Chainset. XTR M985 40/28
Cassette. Sram XX 11-36
Chain. KMC X10SL

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    A triple has no place on a bike like this! :lol: Double or single all the way, and I'd recommend a guide too, shadow plus o
    is good but a guide is a good back up. Just out of interest, why did you choose the HD over the SL-R?
  • lawman wrote:
    A triple has no place on a bike like this! :lol: Double or single all the way, and I'd recommend a guide too, shadow plus o
    is good but a guide is a good back up. Just out of interest, why did you choose the HD over the SL-R?

I have gone for the HD as its slightly slacker than the SL-R and I want the flexibility to go up to 160mm travel in the future if I want. Thats part of the reason for the Fox 34's.

I know what you mean about the triple, I rode a double on the SC so I probably just need to man up a bit and just go for one again.
  • lawman
    yeah the slacker headangle is nice. Personally I want mine to be slacker still, so over crimbo I'll be fitting a works components angleset to slack it out more.

The double would be my choice, ran mine for 8 months or so with a double before going 1x10. The double was great, but I lost the chain alot, so I'd recommend a guide as well as the shadow plus mech, just to make sure.
  • lawman wrote:
    The double was great, but I lost the chain alot, so I'd recommend a guide as well as the shadow plus mech, just to make sure.

Cheers I will look into that, it needs a specific guide doesnt it?

The frame and forks are both ordered now so now I am twiddling my thumbs waiting :twisted:
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    The double was great, but I lost the chain alot, so I'd recommend a guide as well as the shadow plus mech, just to make sure.

Cheers I will look into that, it needs a specific guide doesnt it?

The frame and forks are both ordered now so now I am twiddling my thumbs waiting :twisted:

Any double devise from MRP should work, and afaik the e-thirteen trs fits as well. As long as they're bb mount, you should be ok
  • I've not managed to lose the chain on my double with a plus mech, you might not need a device. its so quiet it took a couple of rides to get used to it!
  • I've not managed to lose the chain on my double with a plus mech, you might not need a device. its so quiet it took a couple of rides to get used to it!

Thanks I will give it a go without one initially then.

Had a set of M988 levers arrive on Friday so I can nick the M985 calipers off the Anthem for now. While I liked the Race brakes sometimes they felt a little lacking with 160mm disks so I will give the trail levers a go along with a 180mm front rotor. Hopefully with the addition of the servowave levers and a larger front rotor they will be spot on.

Should have a few more bits turn up tomorrow, Reverb, front mech and the new front rotor. The Fox 34's are on back order from TF Tuned and are not due until mid December when the new Mojo order lands.
  • Really looking forward to this build, it looks like it will be a good one. Those frames look amazing!
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    edited December 2012
    The parts pile is getting larger :D
    2AF065A3-D26D-424C-B53B-8DDA8A978848-2671-000000DB74E54005.jpg
  • Hopefully when I land back home on Monday from the Bahamas I might have some news on the frame and the forks possibly.

Been toying with the idea of fitting some shimmed down 36's but I think with hindsight it would not be the best option. I will be calling TF tuned on Monday and having a cat about what they think the best option is.

Should have everything bar the main bits sat three waiting though. The last XTR part, a m986 shadow + mech arrived the other day along with a Chris King inset I3. I cannot wait to hit the trails on a bigger bike again :D
  • lawman
    Just noticed you're going to put a 90mm stem on it, personally would go for at the very most a 70mm, like I said I'm between sizes and the 70mm is as long as I would want to go, preferably I'd put the 55mm haven stem on from the 456, will do abit of part swapping once I'm home from uni and see what feels better.

A shimmed down 36 would be overkill imo, a 34 or BOS deville would be a better bet imo.
  • lawman wrote:
    Just noticed you're going to put a 90mm stem on it, personally would go for at the very most a 70mm, like I said I'm between sizes and the 70mm is as long as I would want to go, preferably I'd put the 55mm haven stem on from the 456, will do abit of part swapping once I'm home from uni and see what feels better.

A shimmed down 36 would be overkill imo, a 34 or BOS deville would be a better bet imo.

Thanks but i am not interested in BOS forks, after reading about them the product seems ok but with no one in the UK to service them they are a massive no no. Seems crap backup really hence looking at the 34/6. Seems like a lot of people run the 36 and as I might run it as a 160 at some point it seems a logical choice. I will see what TF have to say on both forks tomorrow.

90 stem will do to start with and I will work from there, never really tried a short stem so the shortest I will probably go is a 70mm as I ran on my blur.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Thanks but i am not interested in BOS forks, after reading about them the product seems ok but with no one in the UK to service them they are a massive no no. Seems crap backup really hence looking at the 34/6. Seems like a lot of people run the 36 and as I might run it as a 160 at some point it seems a logical choice. I will see what TF have to say on both forks tomorrow.

90 stem will do to start with and I will work from there, never really tried a short stem so the shortest I will probably go is a 70mm as I ran on my blur.

Thats fair enough, any reason why you want to get the forks from TF tuned?
  • I have had good service off them in the past and they can convert the 160 Talas to a 150 float for the same price as a 160 float.
  • lawman
    I have had good service off them in the past and they can convert the 160 Talas to a 150 float for the same price as a 160 float.

Is that so you can have them in black? If so then in January a black limited edition 34 float is being released, tempted myself!
  • lawman wrote:
    I have had good service off them in the past and they can convert the 160 Talas to a 150 float for the same price as a 160 float.

Is that so you can have them in black? If so then in January a black limited edition 34 float is being released, tempted myself!

Yep just so I can have them in black. I know about the black float edition, TF mentioned it but not sure I want to wait. Might chase BikeTart tomorrow and see if they have any news on the frame. If there is no news then I guess I could wait a little bit as riding conditions are not really ideal at the moment.

Then again I have found the Talas fork for £835. I can get the conversion parts off Mojo for £85 and have both the Talas and Float cartridges and only come in at £20 more than the cost of the standard float. Hmmm decisions decisions.
  • Frame should be arriving over the next few days, it is meant to have arrived with the importer today or tomorrow at the latest. Forks are also on the way, bought them from Bike-Discount and then sorted the conversion parts from Mojo. Hopefully as long as everything comes through as it should I will have it built on Friday, just at the right time for the weather descending into utter shitness!
  • lawman
    Aren't the ones from bike-discount like 200 quid more than uk rrp?
  • lawman wrote:

They are until you email them :D
    For your individual price-offer please call us or just write an email.
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Fair enough then!! :lol: They have great prices on a lot of kit, especially shimano
  • lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Fair enough then!! :lol: They have great prices on a lot of kit, especially shimano

They were cheaper than the UK but not as cheap as they would have been if my bank did not rip me off exchanging sterling to euros to pay for them. Thieving swines!
  • lawman
    They always will, ime it's not been too bad, but never bought much of value from ze germans other than my xtr shadow plus mech :lol:

What kinda colour scheme are you going for btw? stealthy with red bits and pieces ? I reckon its about time Ibis did some more colours tbh, but they still look fantastic
  • Had a update off Adam@BikeTart earlier, the frame is on its way to me and should be with me tomorrow. The fox 34's are finally in the UK as well so tomorrow will be the big build day.

Got some Schwalbe Hans Dampf's on order as well so hopefully they will turn up in the morning as well.
  • Had a update off Adam@BikeTart earlier, the frame is on its way to me and should be with me tomorrow. The fox 34's are finally in the UK as well so tomorrow will be the big build day.

Got some Schwalbe Hans Dampf's on order as well so hopefully they will turn up in the morning as well.

Sweeeeet! 8)
  • Well in typical fashion as the build is coming along really well something throws a spanner in the works!

Everything is pretty much built up but the rear hub does not fit. I have one of the early DT240S hubs with a slightly undersized axle that wont let a 12mm axle pass through it. Just ordered the newer axle from JRA and hopefully it will be here on Saturday.
  • sbd16v
    sbd16v Posts: 93
    you know the rules dick, pictures or it aint happened.
  • sbd16v wrote:
    you know the rules dick, pictures or it aint happened.

Its now almost finished, I just need my axle, bleed the brakes and chop the reverb cable then I will get some pictures up.
  • Here are a few bad pictures, the garage is baltic so I built it in the house:
    P1030306.jpg
    P1030307.jpg
    P1030308.jpg
    P1030309.jpg
    Then I stripped the forks to remove a few bits:
    P1030310.jpg
    P1030311.jpg
    P1030312.jpg
    How it stands at the minute:
    P1030314.jpg
    And the Hans Dampfs arrived this morning, awesome service from next day tyres as usual:
    P1030313.jpg
  • I have to say I'm liking the black and yellow, good choice sir!
  • Ready for its inaugural ride tomorrow:
    CDBC8E67-343B-45F2-A8FA-ACD18BF2509D-2301-000000B3913BDF2F.jpg
    856227EE-8FEC-452A-9424-B16232CC3060-2301-000000B3B0CC44F4.jpg