Carrera Banshee chainstay shearing

mavientes
mavientes Posts: 26
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, after only just getting it back due to a fault on my forks, today whilst cycling to work my chainstay cheared just at a set of traffic lights. Luckily the lights had just changed and I was able to react and stop the bike from giving and sending me into an oncoming car.

Has anyone else had this happen.

Halfords are being very helpful and have said they are going to give me a new frame and transfer and rebuild all my componets. My friend says maybe I should ask for an upgrade for not suing their ass for a dodgy frame.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mavientes wrote:
    Halfords are being very helpful and have said they are going to give me a new frame and transfer and rebuild all my componets.

Seems reasonable.
    mavientes wrote:
    My friend says maybe I should ask for an upgrade for not suing their ass for a dodgy frame.

Your friend sounds like a lovely guy. Gimme gimme gimme. What would you sue them for?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They rarely just shear when riding like, is something that builds up over time, or happens in a crash or bad landing. It would have already been well on its way.

Always check the frame over regularly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Banshee's are not unknown for the chainstay to snap (where it's thinned past the tyre) but usually that is with age and not within warranty.

Sue for what, this isn't America and you haven't suffered loss, your mate needs to get with it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I've hammered the crap out of mine and it's still in one piece. These things just happen sometimes.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Yea, well bike is only 7 months old. Has not been riden hard at all. Infact it was not used for 2 months whilst I was away with the army, and when it has been used it has mainly been for commuting to and from work (yes I know sacrilage using ot for commuting lol). Only been on a trail three times with it, no jumps or anything sever, just your usual roots and stuff. So it's not from ragging it and abusing it.
    But like I said, this was on my way to work on smooth tarmac and snap, not even a pot hole lol
    I'd have understood if as explained above It had been from years of pushing it hard and doing crazy jumps and stuff and would have probabky said, ahh well it's done it's job, but seriosly cycilng to work on a bike that really has only had 5 months easy riding.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    And that's what the warranty is for - manufacturing defects such as the one yours seems to have suffered.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5