Team Sky chappie near Wilmslow - any ideas?

Routier
Routier Posts: 94
edited November 2012 in Pro race
I spotted him this morning but only saw him from the side/behind so I didn't recognise him, but I know it wasn't Stannard as he was too small. Any ideas who might be riding in east Cheshire?

And no, it wasn't a wannabe!

Comments

• Routier wrote:
    I spotted him this morning but only saw him from the side/behind so I didn't recognise him, but I know it wasn't Stannard as he was too small. Any ideas who might be riding in east Cheshire?

And no, it wasn't a wannabe!

Geraint Thomas? He tweeted about riding in Manchester area today. Or was the guy a lot smaller - Peter Kennaugh?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I think I saw the same rider - but on Tuesday, heading east on Chelford Road towards Alderley Edge. Wearing a white Sky jersey
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    I think I saw the same rider - but on Tuesday, heading east on Chelford Road towards Alderley Edge. Wearing a white Sky jersey

If it was white surely that'd have to be Stannard?
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    ju5t1n wrote:

Could have been Thomas in his 2010 National Champs jersey? Or wearing a maillot blanc from the 2011 Tour?
  • gpreeves wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:

Could have been Thomas in his 2010 National Champs jersey? Or wearing a maillot blanc from the 2011 Tour?

Yeah, fair point
  • Hey guys,

It was me actually. Just on a training ride and fancied stopping off at wilmslow for some pie and peas

Peace out and keep the dream alive
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    gpreeves wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:

I don't think its the done thing for pros to wear a champs jersey when they are no longer the champ and still riding pro.

When they retire they can do what they like.
  • Must have been Thomas then. I knew someone on here would know!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Or maybe they got all some white jerseys made because they keep getting hit by cars?
  • They're contracted to wear their current Sky kit. Only Ian Stannard could have been riding in the UK national champs kit.
  • They're contracted to wear their current Sky kit. Only Ian Stannard could have been riding in the UK national champs kit.

Is the correct answer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • gpreeves
    They're contracted to wear their current Sky kit. Only Ian Stannard could have been riding in the UK national champs kit.

That was my original thought, but the OP stated the guy he saw was too big to be Stannard. Either Thomas was breaking the rules (contractual and unwritten) or the OP overestimated Stannard's size. Unhelpfully neither Strava profile purporting to be them has any activity from yesterday...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    gpreeves wrote:
    They're contracted to wear their current Sky kit. Only Ian Stannard could have been riding in the UK national champs kit.

That was my original thought, but the OP stated the guy he saw was too big to be Stannard. Either Thomas was breaking the rules (contractual and unwritten) or the OP overestimated Stannard's size. Unhelpfully neither Strava profile purporting to be them has any activity from yesterday...

you mean too small... Stannard is 1.89m and 80kg

Thomas is 1.83 and 70kg.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves wrote:

you mean too small... Stannard is 1.89m and 80kg

Thomas is 1.83 and 70kg.

Silly mistake, cheers.
  • It can only have been Stannard if it was UK champs kit. I don't think any of the other road champs are over here at the moment. Most likely to be a fan.

These guys are professionals, there is no chance in a million years that it would be Thomas wearing a Tour leaders jersey or his old national champs jersey.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Didnt someone post that it was them, or were they having a laugh :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They were having a laugh.

Must be Stannard. The OP thought he was too small - but all pros look smaller in the flesh than they do on tv. They only look big compared to the rest of them.
  • I see Stannard around the area quite a bit. Last seen flying past Woodford days before the Worlds
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Was it Michael Barry on the way to the Job Centre?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LangerDan wrote:
    Was it Michael Barry on the way to the Job Centre?

Best post on the forum.
  • Hmm... I'm confidant he wasn't tall enough to be Stannard at 6'2", I'd have put him at a good 4-5 inches shorter than that. I can't make up my mind between him and Thomas now.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Why are you so sure it wasn't a dentist given that you didn't actually recognise the guy as a member of Sky?
    More problems but still living....
  • No pot belly
  • Routier wrote:
    Hmm... I'm confidant he wasn't tall enough to be Stannard at 6'2", I'd have put him at a good 4-5 inches shorter than that. I can't make up my mind between him and Thomas now.

It won't have been Thomas.

Does that help you?

• It won't have been Thomas.

Does that help you?

Even though he tweeted this on Thursday morning?

22 Nov Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86
    First dry ride since I've been back from South Africa and I'm in Manchester!! #strangebuttrue
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Was it normal sky kit ? Or the white gb champ top ?
  • Leopard print sky top with no shorts on at all i heard. Apparently he was riding hard. Jingle berries all the way
  • cougie wrote:
    Was it normal sky kit ? Or the white gb champ top ?

Normal jersey, but no shorts as above :wink:
  • Review of job center in Wilmslow - complete with "caring" comments from the Fail readers !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... loyed.html

:D