Changing BB spindle length

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited November 2012 in The workshop
I have a bike that I recently (ish) changed the chainset (To a different brand as well). For some reason now looking at it the chainline is really strange. Like the largest chainring is outside the smallest sprocket.

I think the BB has a spindle length of 122mm. Are there any issue with changing it to a 113mm spindle?

I have checked that taking 5mm off each side still gives enough room for crankarms and the smallest chanring.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends what the cranks are (part number) then you can identify what axel length is needed to give the required chainline.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    nicklouse wrote:
    it all depends what the cranks are (part number) then you can identify what axel length is needed to give the required chainline.
    Ah, Ok. I didn't know the crankset required certain spindle lengths I thought (for some reason) it was more bike dependent. Thinking about it that doesn't make any sense though. Heh.

It is Shimano Alivio FC-M410 so 113mm as far as I can make out.

I would assume something like this would be Ok: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34652 or is it worth going for something slightly more expensive without the plastic (say the £15 Shimano one). Mainly interested in reliability vs cost.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep 113 is what you need.

not much in them the plastic does not effect much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    Aweseome. Cheers for your help