Pinch punctures question.

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Recently had a couple of pinch punctures, while checking the tubes, they are 1.75 - 2.125, my tyres are 2.2. Is it likely to be the reason for the punctures being the tubes are too narrow for the tyre ??

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Insufficient tyre pressure for terrain, width of tyre or your weight, or all 3. If it happens at a higher pressure, seriously consider tubeless.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Probably not enough air in your tyres. The tube size won't affect it.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I found replacing the lightweight racing tyres and tubes that came with the bike for something tougher made a huge difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May help right on a marginal pinch, but I doubt it makes that much difference......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pressure and picking your line.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    May help right on a marginal pinch, but I doubt it makes that much difference......

Well, I replaced Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with Conti Mountain King II ProTection, and the difference is the MKs have sidewalls that feel like rubber, and the RRs feel like paper. At the same pressures, same terrain, same riding style, I've had about 8 hours trouble free from the MKs (which isn't a lot, I admit, but they haven't been on the bike long.) The RRs had a pinch flat within 10 minutes, and I was forced to run them a lot harder than I'm comfortable with to prevent it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Alibran wrote:

Well, I replaced Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with Conti Mountain King II ProTection, and the difference is the MKs have sidewalls that feel like rubber, and the RRs feel like paper. At the same pressures, same terrain, same riding style, I've had about 8 hours trouble free from the MKs (which isn't a lot, I admit, but they haven't been on the bike long.) The RRs had a pinch flat within 10 minutes, and I was forced to run them a lot harder than I'm comfortable with to prevent it.
    He was probably replying to the OP not you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    A bit of anecodotal evidence to support the "tougher tyres" suggestion:

Yesterday I was struggling for grip, so let a load of air out of my tyres. Hopped back on the bike and realised I'd gone too far, but had not taken my pump with me as I was only quick blast in the woods near my house. Anyway, my return route included a very rocky section which amazingly left my tubes unscathed - amazing since when I got home and checked my pressures they were 11psi front, 16psi rear. By rights, my tubes should have resembled a colander. I was running my Conti barons, though, in the harder compound, so imagine it was these that saved me from punctures.