Advice on Saddle Bags?

uzapuca
uzapuca Posts: 103
edited November 2012 in The workshop
Hi guys,
Any advice on a good Saddle Bar? I usually go really light just money and keys. Something for longer trips i like to carry more stuff like cell phone, tools, spare tube, some powerbars and keys. It would be best if it is an expandable model so it can grow according to needs. I like the strap attachment better than the clip on system. I have been looking for good quality brands like

Deuter
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=19618

Ortlieb (this one has roll closure system insted of zips)
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... g-10-36955

and i am open to any new brands except TOPEAK.

It is important that is has a good zipper!

I used to have a Topeak Aero Wedge Strap On Saddle Bag
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7361

which usually have nice reviews. I just use it on few ocasions and the zip just snapped in half as I was unzipping the bag. Not yanking it around, not bashing it, just pulling it across the zipper. Snap. The saddle bag first impressions seemed to be well made but it is NOT. I also contact customer support and they are useless, so there´s go my 25 euros down the toilet now. It is very frustrating.

I hope the new saddle bag i buy will not suffer from those problem then.

Thanks for any advice,
S.-

Comments

• uzapuca
    was my post too complex? No reference on Saddle Bags at all? :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a cheap saddle bag from Lidl, velcro round the seatpost and clip under saddle, will take 2 tubes esily in short condition, more when expanded, £5.99.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I use a continental saddle bag, 1 tube, a stickon patch kit, a home made tyre boot, quick link and 2 tyre levers fit in it fine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNOC6I7svlwtHqJ3Q-SIjMlb0LaHlAFKbzKi5gU9dyyPx6Ov4YUg

a quick edit, i can get 3 tyre levers in but it's a pain to repack road side if you need to use it then.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • uzapuca
    I use a cheap saddle bag from Lidl, velcro round the seatpost and clip under saddle, will take 2 tubes esily in short condition, more when expanded, £5.99.

Thanks for your good insight. Actually after my Topeak Saddle Bag zipper broke i started to use a small Lidl Saddle Bag too. The only problem is that it gets a bit small and it is a rigid model so it doesn't allow expansion. :D
  • uzapuca
    Torvid wrote:
    I use a continental saddle bag, 1 tube, a stickon patch kit, a home made tyre boot, quick link and 2 tyre levers fit in it fine.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNOC6I7svlwtHqJ3Q-SIjMlb0LaHlAFKbzKi5gU9dyyPx6Ov4YUg

a quick edit, i can get 3 tyre levers in but it's a pain to repack road side if you need to use it then.

Nice Saddle bag! Now that you say i might look for two Saddle Bag sizes one small as yours for daily short trips and a larger one for longer rides. Good idea. Thanks for your comments. :D