Cycle trailer hire

Nick@D
Nick@D Posts: 73
edited December 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

looking to hire a trailer to transport 10 to 12 bikes for a charity ride, can anybody advise of a location or company were i could hire one.

Thanks

Nick :mrgreen:

Comments

• there is a company in south cave, yorkshire, that do euro tours with purpose built trailers on coaches, they do uk bookings too. we did Mull to Hull this year and it worked out cheaper to hire a van for bikes and a minibus for passengers than a sweeper system. remember, if you are hiring mini busses, you need a d1 license and cannot tow a trailer as hire firms dont fit towbars to mini busses!
    .... found this out last year!
  • Nick@D
    Hi bobs bikes,

thanks for that detail, what you found out last year with the tow bars, i found that out this year :( i will see if i can find the company in south cave.
    i will say i do like the title of "Mull to Hull" we looked at Twatt, Scotland to Titty Hill, England but end to end looked safer on the sponsor forms :)

Thanks

Nick D
  • You don't say where you live so these hirers will be a long shot. You could ask them if they have sold any trailers to people or clubs near you and you may be able to negotiate a rate with them.

Pendle Cycle Carriers

Afan Valley Bike Hire

Tyrone Snell Trailers
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • Nick@D
    hi megilleeland,

that was really helpful, thanks

I am in the essex/cambridge area.

Regards

Nick
  • Nick,

How did you get on with this? I am looking to do a similar thing for London to Paris ride.

Nick
    Nick@D wrote:
    Hi,

looking to hire a trailer to transport 10 to 12 bikes for a charity ride, can anybody advise of a location or company were i could hire one.

Thanks

Nick :mrgreen:
  • I have just been looking at something similar. If you google "bike trailer hire" there is a company in Staffordshire which seems to be reasonably priced for 6/12 bike trailers. I believe, after researching the trailer towing rules, that you could tow these with a minivan (driver + 8 passengers) on a standard B category license.

I've also looked at hiring a box trailer (http://www.tridenttowing.co.uk/trident_ ... r_hire.php) and fitting it with a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-Automot ... B000FQ75B6 which would give the option of transporting built-up or boxed/packaged bikes plus luggage. These are heavier though so you either need the B+E category, or you need to have done your test pre-1997.

I haven't quite found what I'm looking for as I need some kind of trailer like this for transporting bikes in the Alps, so if anyone knows of a company/club in that area that has these for hire, I would appreciate the details!