Hoodoo on its way

badger kev
badger kev Posts: 30
edited December 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi new into the mountain biking scene ,just reserved a voodoo hoodoo hope it lives up to all the reviews on the web any one on here got one and whats your experiences and opions so far on the hoodoo,roll on the wkend to hit the trails

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome....

Try searching the your mountain bike forums for Hoodoo owners we have a few on here....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Had mine a week. It is very good. Returning to bikes for the first time in years and wasn't prepared to go the full grand on technology which is baffling to me since the days of rigid forks. I would double check everything when returning from Halfords........tighten everything etc. I had to retune my gears, repair a faulty lock out switch and generally make sure it doesn't go the way of a clowns bike. The staff were helpful but it was a display model and the film of dust suggested it hadn't been worked on for months. They handle like a dream though.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • i had one 2 months now...no problems...taking it in tommorrow for its 6 week service
    check all nuts as seat came loose 5 miles into a red run
  • Got the hoodoo went for a quick 5 mile road /bridleway spin the bike is great handles well think i,m going to have some fun on it .Yeah know what you mean about checking the bike over ,to be fair everything was ok mine also an ex display with a nice layer of dust on it but up to now no problems had to have ex display as could not locate one in any store seems they all sold out and halfords not sure when the hoodooo back in stock,one very happy hoodoo owner :D
  • Glad you like it mate I had the carrera Vulcan about 4 months ago and I'm taking it back for the 3rd time tomorrow not a happy man, wish I put the extra and had the hoodoo now post some pics when you get chance
  • The Rookie
    I would double check everything when returning from Halfords........tighten everything etc.
    You mean all the stuff Hoodoo (Merida) should do and not Halfords at PDI?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would double check everything when returning from Halfords........tighten everything etc.
    You mean all the stuff Hoodoo (Merida) should do and not Halfords at PDI?
    Or basically, everything that you should be checking on a regular basis anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Also Badger, watch out for the pedals. I almost lost my left plum on the crossbar in wet conditions. Shit all grip unless your wearing running spikes.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Cheers will watch my family jewels in the wet know what you mean very slippy at cannock yesterday.
  • cooldad
    Or just do the simple thing and fit decent pedals.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ahh, the eternal upgrade quandary. Much as I'd like new pedals, gears etc, the reason I have a Voodoo is that was all I could afford at the moment. I suppose the fat bloke in a red suit might bring me some of those cool Superstar ones but until then I just have to make do with swollen nuts and a gum shield.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Hoodoo comes with Wellgo LU 313 pedals which are not that bad if you have proper shoes. If you planning upgrades then save some £££ and think about wheels as in my opinion this is the component designed by accountants.
  • cooldad
    Yeah look like V8 copies, so probably more technique than anything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Uli
    Well, I swapped mine with proper pin trough pedals after week :), but I never ride in "proper bike shoes".
  • cooldad
    pin trough?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Uli
    sorry, auto correct and fast typing
    Thru Pin flats- you could just figure it out :)
  • Had my hoodoo six months now - bike has just been in for its six month service with quite a few issues unfortunantley, although I may have just been unlucky.

Few things to keep an eye out for - check the set up as soon as you get it, on mine neither the front or rear wheel were fully tightened and front tyre was inflated to 85 psi - also make sure that you set the sag on the fork. If you can, check that the bearings are fully greased - I had heard that bikes often leave Halfords with just a light smear of grease on the bearings - my bike is now having new bearings front and rear and new headset bearings - the bike has done about 400 miles, the rear wheel which is grinding something awful and is less then four months old (was replaced due to a broken spoke). Halfords consider this general wear and tear - should point put that I have never let a jet wash near the bike so its not like I've been flushing out the bearings with pressured water or anything.

If you have the older design fork lockout (the one that is shaped like a letter P on top of the fork) keep an eye on it, mine has broke, as has someone else I know - they are pretty delicate, but I know that the design has been changed on them now (most likely due to this issue) so you should be fine so long as yours wasn't older stock. Keep the bike clean - very clean! My bike has had only two really dirty longish rides (the Wiggle South Downs Epic and Falling Leaves Epic, both of which were a bit of a mud fest) the bikes going back in tomorrow for a full brake service (something which is not covered by the care plan so costs £50) due to issues believed to have been caused by dirt (the front brake has already had a full bleed last month which didn't fully sort the issue).

One upgrade to consider is the tyres considering the time of year. The Ardents are great in the dry or when its soft, but when its proper muddy they do seem to struggle in the winter whens its really muddy (or as was the case this year - the middle of summer - when it was really muddy :roll: )
  • cooldad
    6 month service? It's not a car with service intervals - bikes need regular ongoing maintenance. Some things every ride in winter.
    Learn to DIY and you'll save a lot of money and hassle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm well aware of that - hence why i do maintain my bike, chain is removed and cleaned after every ride, brakes flushed out with clean water which is then blasted out with low pressure compressed air etc etc - but as part of the deal with Halfords they service the bike for after six months, replacing cables etc. - hence six months service.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I'm well aware of that - hence why i do maintain my bike, chain is removed and cleaned after every ride, brakes flushed out with clean water which is then blasted out with low pressure compressed air etc etc - but as part of the deal with Halfords they service the bike for after six months, replacing cables etc. - hence six months service.
    if cables etc have to be replaced every 6 months, then they obviously aren't being maintained between those times
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    I don't think the Hlafords 6 moths will REPLACE cables..... service (lube) maybe....
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    I'm well aware of that - hence why i do maintain my bike, chain is removed and cleaned after every ride, brakes flushed out with clean water which is then blasted out with low pressure compressed air etc etc - but as part of the deal with Halfords they service the bike for after six months, replacing cables etc. - hence six months service.
    if cables etc have to be replaced every 6 months, then they obviously aren't being maintained between those times

The cables were fine - I kept them clean and lubed - the drive train is one part that I have had no issues with at all. Halfords replaced them as part of the service - can't comment on whether this is standard or not, can only tell you that they did replace them.

Edit - Just checked, and on the website it states that they always replace cables as part of the service.
  • Cheers paulski for the heads up on checking everything ,i,m new to all this so excuse my ignorance but how do you check/set up sag on the forks
  • cooldad
    Read the manual. Or look in the FAQ 's in Workshop and Tech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • badger kev wrote:
    Cheers paulski for the heads up on checking everything ,i,m new to all this so excuse my ignorance but how do you check/set up sag on the forks

No worries - as for the sag, exactly what cooldad said, although the manual you get for the Suntour shock is pretty basic but there will be plenty of info in the tech forum.
  • Suntours manuals are all on there website
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Uli
    I didn't do Halfords service as they run some checks and those you can do yourself. Any extras you pay extra- fair enough. I did 900 Km on my hoodoo since June, mostly muddy tracks of Chilterns , few rides in Swinley etc. The bike was trashed and even drowned in the lake. Give it a little TLC and it will be fine. The only parts replaced/upgraded was rear derailleur as it got snapped and big ring may need replacement soon due to few bumps.
    Now I need to get rear wheel sorted as it has some loose spokes and may need a little truing- that will be LBS job.
    Fork service is quite simple as all manuals are online and you could do it with screwdriver, 27mm spanner and some fork oil. If you stuck then you can take it to LBS :)
  • The Rookie
    Uli wrote:
    Fork service is quite simple as all manuals are online and you could do it with screwdriver, 27mm spanner and some fork oil.
    Hmm when I've serviced Raidons I don't need either of those tools but an allen key or two is crucial......
  • Uli
    Hmm when I've serviced Raidons I don't need either of those tools but an allen key or two is crucial......
    you are more skilled than me then as I have no clue how to undo 27mm nut on air chamber and pop lock just with allen keys :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Uli wrote:
    you are more skilled than me then as I have no clue how to undo 27mm nut on air chamber and pop lock just with allen keys :)
    you managed to undo the foot nuts and remove the fork lowers with a screw driver ? :shock: :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011