What happened to the Schleck new team?

Lichtblick
Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
edited November 2012 in Pro race
Was I imagining it, or did I read somewhere during this year, that the Schleck brothers were planning to start a new Pro team? Luxembourg based?

If I remember awry, apologies. If I remember correctly, what happened?

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    sure you are not a year out of date? They did have one... Team Leoeoeoeoeoeeopaaaard :P
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Big Schleck got busted....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Was I imagining it, or did I read somewhere during this year, that the Schleck brothers were planning to start a new Pro team? Luxembourg based?

In the light of this years unfortunate events, they've had to hurriedly push through a re-think of their team that was going to be called 'Team Lucky L' (for Luxembourg), with the team strap-line "The Luck of The Luxembourgish" also up for a revamp.

Despite depicting their brotherly love, the mountains bathed in yellow and their inspirational core message of the "Four 'L's" ("Luck", "Love", "Life" and "Light") being worked into the proposed design for their team kit, I suspect this will need some work too...

swastika.gif
  • I think it was meant to be a German team. They weren't happy bunnies due to the ongoing Sunset beach-esqe soap opera that was/is Radioshack Poundland Comet Fiat 500 Primark Trek - or whatever the hell they call themselves nowadays.

The storm seems to have past though with Johan Bruyneel gone (although he is still a major shareholder in the team methinks), and there was also a serious spanner thrown in the works by Schleck Senior's misdemenour.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ^^weak.

(The swastika thing, that is.)
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    To OCDuPalais, how old are you? Speaking as someone whose fatherinlaw fled to escape the Nazis, that is not even beginning to be remotely amusing.

Anyway, here's a link from July this year: http://road.cc/content/news/60853-schle ... -gerdemman

"Andy and Fränk Schleck are reportedly set to leave RadioShack-Nissan alongside team mates Jens Voigt and Linus Gerdemann and directeur sportif Kim Andersen to join a proposed Germany-based team for the 2013 season. Trek is said to have been lined up as bike sponsor."

It's hardly a big deal, I was only wondering, vaguely, as one does.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yeah, it was supposed to be sponsored by Alpecin, the people that Jan Ullrich does "doping for Hair" adverts for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Lichtblick wrote:
    To OCDuPalais, how old are you? Speaking as someone whose fatherinlaw fled to escape the Nazis, that is not even beginning to be remotely amusing.

Anyway, here's a link from July this year: http://road.cc/content/news/60853-schle ... -gerdemman

"Andy and Fränk Schleck are reportedly set to leave RadioShack-Nissan alongside team mates Jens Voigt and Linus Gerdemann and directeur sportif Kim Andersen to join a proposed Germany-based team for the 2013 season. Trek is said to have been lined up as bike sponsor."

The swastika is actually a Hindu or Buddhist symbol of peace or something that the Nazis appropriated and made into their logo, I think they turned it round the other way.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Lichtblick wrote:
    To OCDuPalais, how old are you? Speaking as someone whose fatherinlaw fled to escape the Nazis, that is not even beginning to be remotely
    Dont watch The Producers you wont like it.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    MrTapir wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

The swastika is actually a Hindu or Buddhist symbol of peace or something that the Nazis appropriated and made into their logo, I think they turned it round the other way.

Cool story bro.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Lichtblick wrote:
    To OCDuPalais, how old are you? Speaking as someone whose fatherinlaw fled to escape the Nazis, that is not even beginning to be remotely
    Dont watch The Producers you wont like it.
    Springtime for Hitler and Germany
    Deutschland is happy and gay!
    We're marching to a faster pace
    Look out, here comes the master race!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Jez mon wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Cool story bro.

Isn't that what Tom Hanks says at the beginning of the Dan Brown film (the name escapes me!).
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

In the light of this years unfortunate events, they've had to hurriedly push through a re-think of their team that was going to be called 'Team Lucky L' (for Luxembourg), with the team strap-line "The Luck of The Luxembourgish" also up for a revamp.

Despite depicting their brotherly love, the mountains bathed in yellow and their inspirational core message of the "Four 'L's" ("Luck", "Love", "Life" and "Light") being worked into the proposed design for their team kit, I suspect this will need some work too...

swastika.gif

offensive and childish.
  • nathancom
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

swastika.gif

offensive and childish.
    offensive to whom exactly and for what reason?

So offensive you just quoted it all again.
  • ocdupalais

offensive and childish.

Would you be the same Vino'sGhost who made creepy remarks towards Tusher, antagonised many Scottish forumites with puerile comments about accents and ended posts with a silly "ave calves", etc?

And as the guardian of delicate sensibilities you may also remember this exchange from the Vuelta Stage 17**Spoiler** thread...
    poppit wrote:
    alanjay wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    Can't watch it, seems like we've gone back to the bad old days, drugs, deals done, etc.

+1 absolute joke this GT
    Another pit swamping guardian reader
    I feel quite sorry for you, you're obviously quite an obnoxious person who just likes to spit out anonymous insults.

Save you pity for someone that needs or cares for it. TBH i dont feel anything for you as youre an anonymous person who seems unable to see that deals get done and always have got done, and always will get done. If you cant see that theres precious little hope for an informed decision or comment.

Nice one. I haven't seen much of Poppit since that charming comment.
  • nathancom
    what a stain
  • Not sure how that can be considered particularly offensive to anyone. It is part of history after all
  • nathancom
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Would you be the same Vino'sGhost who made creepy remarks towards Tusher

I think it was worth quoting for posterity.
    Tusher wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    Oh. My. Goodness.

Yet I'm not surprised.

a ha the freckle nosed luvly wimin is back

Ave long lost love Calves

*mwah* *mwah* *mwah* How splendid you look this fine evening Mr Vino.

ees warm weather and and restings is make me think of blue skinned freckled lovely and you are here.
    like angels. Eez lovelys thouhts that wings is carry you to my bed. The rooms is shared but i know boss, i arranges it.

Ave on a promise calves
  • ocdupalais
    The thing is, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with being "childish" (besides, what's slapstick if it's not childish? - and some people find even the finest knob and fart jokes childish: give me the best examples of those over satire, any day) - or being "offensive" (when aimed at stupid or fatuous thinking).

With the Schlecks (who I'm quite fond of), it struck me that they've had such an unfortunate year that I imagined the hapless duo even managing to cock-up their team log/kit design with the most dreadful faux-pas with what was historically a good luck emblem (before the Nazis appropriated it) ... what sort of damn-fool got the impression that I was implying anything else!?!
    I'll apologise, though, to anyone else who wasted the 8 seconds it took to read it; because it wasn't particularly funny (although the idea of Andy riding with the word "LUCKY" across his back and chest makes me smile - imagine the photo opportunities: him looking nervous on a wet descent; outside the team bus pre/post-stage explaining his hopes/regrets; on the 2nd step yet again...).

How about a deal: more funny - less stupid? Who's game?
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Lichtblick wrote:

edit: never mind