South Wales mid distance red routes

Ska1975
Ska1975 Posts: 48
edited November 2012 in Routes
Hi,

As it says on the tin really. I recently spent a few days really getting into the Marin, pen machno and nant-y-aran trails and was looking for similar stuff in the south Wales area.

I know about the cwm carn trail but is there any other decent long, remote, signposted red routes within an hour of the Severn bridge?

Cheers

Ian

Ps obviously I know there is I was just looking for opinions!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is a whole section devoted to routes and rides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • And there is a whole website devoted to mtb'ing in Wales... Www.Mbwales.com
  • Thanks guys, sorry for the miss placed post.
  • Afan is probably a good bet, not much further than Cwmcarn. The Wall is brilliant!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yeah afan is a good bet.

if you want to go a little further brechfa is great, but there's only 1 trail open there at the minute so i'd give it a miss until they open the others again. it is pretty hardcore for a red trail though the blue and green trails are good fun :D
  • Thanks guys, Afan it is then. Does it hold up well in the wet?

Ian
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Ska1975 wrote:
    Thanks guys, Afan it is then. Does it hold up well in the wet?

Ian

holds up fine, they'll obviously be the odd puddle but in general it's good
  • yep afan is superb...its local to me....the wall is 22km plus there are others same distance plus a 48km w2 for the extreme
  • Thanks guys- the 48k route looks good- got some problems with a groin strain at the moment but fingers crossed it will clear up one day......

Is brecfa the route just outside the town with the centre for alternitive technology and the great last section of downhill? If so nant y Aran is closer and I loved that.