terrified of fiddling with my bike

spr wheelie
spr wheelie Posts: 110
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
dont know why, im pretty mechanically minded but proper paranoid about doing something wrong when maintaining my bike.

which is now bringing me here as i dont want to just start trying things and stripping brakes.

been transporting it in the boot of my car with both the wheels off and after putting it back together i noticed that the rear brake lever travels far further than the front. not been doing this before and ive only really ridden it in anger 3 times. my brakes are slx. pumped them a few times and it got better but not compleatly. any ideas.

cheers for reading,
sight 3 se

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Pumping them a few times should fix it. But for any other queries, parktools.com is always worth a shout.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Worst case, wind out the travel adjust and elastic band the lever to the bars overnight.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Do you put the pads separators in when you put your bike in the car? I didn't do this for a while and my brakes always felt a bit odd when I popped the wheels back in.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I never use pad spacers ... pumping the brakes a good few times always fixes it in my case.
  • cheers for the replies. dont have any spacers so iv just been sticking in some folded up cardboard between the pads. ill try elasticing it one night when i get back to it.
    sight 3 se
  • that's sick mate, u fiddler you...
  • What is the best bike maintenance manual because I feel the same lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parktools - 'Read this first' in my sig.
    Sheldon Brown website.
    Any number of Youtube videos.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You could try Total Bike Maintenance Book by Mel Allwood. Informative with pics. Handy for all round knowledge. Knowledge is power
  • cooldad wrote:
    Parktools - 'Read this first' in my sig.
    Sheldon Brown website.
    Any number of Youtube videos.

I believe the common parlance is +potato.

Also, FWIW, i do not understand the comment about pad spacing. If you take out the wheel in transit then there is a possibility that the lever will be pulled and the pads will close a little. This will result in the pads becoming closer to the disc and, therefore, making the lever travel less. From what you describe it sounds like you either have a little air in the system or there could be a small leak. I believe from reading elsewhere that some people have experienced a small leak from the piston with the new shimanos. However, try the elasticated lever thing and if it doesnt work then put up a post in the tech section.

Dont be afraid to tinker! Worst that can happen is you get brake fluid in your eyes and are permanently blinded. You lose your job, your wife leaves you, you become derelict and are forced into prostitution to feed your crack habit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Books are a bad idea as bike tech is an evolving beast and as soon as a book is written something new will come along and make it out of date!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.