Anthem X2

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited November 2012 in Your mountain bikes
This is my new Giant Anthem X2 (2012 version) recently purchased from Pauls Cycles.
No changes made other than fitting SPDs and rear mudguard.
After a few rides I flipped the stem and found that the lower handlebars improved the bike's handling dramatically. Can't believe how well it climbs - it feels super light,( although I've not actually weighed it.)
It's great for cross country riding and, unlike many, I do find the Fizik Tundra 2 saddle comfortable. (Could be because I do a lot of road riding, and the saddle definately feels more roady than MTB.)

8167374322_412c60494f.jpg

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Looks good, I was tempted with the X2 but they only had medium or large in stock.
    My X3 weighs 11.4 kgs with pedals mine is a small frame which I guess helps keep the weight down.
    I found the saddle ok for about 10 miles after that it was the shape that hurt me, maybe more comfortable in a more roadie riding position.
  • Good little trail bikes, but my m8 is always complaining about crud build up around the rear suss. Pretty capable though.

Go fourth and get it muddy :)
  • WindyG - shame they didn't have your size in the 2012 X2, but to be honest the 2011 X3 you bought has practically the same components as the X2, and yours was about £150 cheaper for a very nice looking bike - so I reckon you've got yourself a great bargain!

JayKay - your mate may have a point, although I only seem to get a bit of crud build up around the rear shock. As this my first full suss I thought this was normal. I mostly ride fairly wide opentrails though, so maybe I don't get into as much dirt as he does!
    How are you finding it? does the bottom bracket height pose any clearance problems?
    Do you plan on any upgrades?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Great bikes.I`ve used mine at trail centres and they are far more capable than you`d belive a 100mm bike could be.Though the low bb was a problem whilst descending the rock steps at Afan.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Hi Mikeyj.

I'm finding the bike an absolute blast. I'm probabaly not representative of a "proper" mountain bike rider as I'm really from a road background but like to have an MTB to ride around Rutland Water as I live just 5 mins from the circuit. As you may know this isn't true "mountain biking" - it's not at all technical - but it suits me because it's a pleasant change from dodging cars on the road and provides some great fast but chilled out riding that isn't very demanding. So, I'm pretty content with kit the bike has.

I'll probably only replace componants as they wear out. As I said in an earlier post I had to flip the stem because I found the bars a little high. The lower front end has re-distributed my weight on the bike and has really improved the handling. I'm content with the long 110mm stem (the slower handling suits my modest technical off road ability!), but after reading a lot of the posts from you guys on the forum I'm tempted to buy a shorter one to see what the effect might be.

I don't know how the Racing Ralph tyres will perform over the winter, but I'll probably get away with them for the riding I do.

The Avid Elixer 5 brakes seem OK but can be noisy. This could be that they are still bedding and I always give the discs a good clean before I ride but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If this doesn't resolve itself after a couple of months I may change them if I find them too much of a nuisance - though I don't know what I would replace them with yet.

I can honestly say that the bottom bracket height has simply not been an issue for me - but that's probably a reflection of the non-technical riding I do.
    The Avid Elixer 5 brakes seem OK but can be noisy. This could be that they are still bedding and I always give the discs a good clean before I ride but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Do tell.
  • Sorry bennett_346 but I must have my thick head on today as I don't understand your comment? :?

I think all I was trying to say was that the brakes make a screeching noise under heavy breaking, and this is despite ensuring that the discs are free of any lube overspray from previous cleaning. Maybe I need to put more effort into cleaning them! :wink:

As I said above, I'll give them more time to see if the situation improves with longer term bedding in.
    Sorry bennett_346 but I must have my thick head on today as I don't understand your comment? :?

I think all I was trying to say was that the brakes make a screeching noise under heavy breaking, and this is despite ensuring that the discs are free of any lube overspray from previous cleaning. Maybe I need to put more effort into cleaning them! :wink:

As I said above, I'll give them more time to see if the situation improves with longer term bedding in.
    What are you cleaning them with, and why?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    :D:):D:):D