Driving abroad - France

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited November 2012 in The hub
Next week me and the good lady are off on a road trip to Paris for 5 days, visiting Disneyland and Paris itself.

We are driving there in my trusty 53 plate, 51k mile, Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

Before we go I will check all my engine fluids, tyre pressures and make sure the car is tip top.

I have taken out a 9 day european breakdown cover policy with 'start rescue'. I will have a vehicle pack up with the breakdown documents, my insurance documents, the cars MOT certificate, V5 etc.

I have also got a white GB sticker for the back, some breathalysers, spare bulb kit, hi viz vests x2 and beam deflectors.

Have I missed anything off? First time driving abroad for years so a little apprehensive and dont want to forget anything!

Comments

• kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    did my first time driving abroad this year in August, got to a roundabout in Nantes at rush hour, 3-4 lanes wide and 5 roads leading onto it with not a traffic light in sight! What a nightmare trying to get on to it! Have fun!
  • Spare glasses if you wear them :shock:
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • it sounds like you have covered everything, but if you dont speak french maybe take a book or get a app on your phone incase you get stuck.

i was at Le Mans 2 years ago for the first time and i got lost on the way, (bloody satnav) and everybody i tryed to speak to dident speak english LoL just my luck.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you have any speed camera detection devices turn them off.

dont forget the Hi Viz jackets must be to hand. IE you can get them before you get out of the door.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi. As far as we know you don't need spare spectacles - this is a requirement for Spain. You do seem to have everything. Just stick to the speed limit as radar detectors (especially mobile ones) are now frequent and the police show no mercy! For a final check visit the Drive-Alive http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm website.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget to put the GB sticker on the passenger side (that is in front of a French driver), put it on the rear window if you can as it comes off much more easily.

Make sure you understand and fit the beam deflectors correctly, most are fitted in completely the wrong place, if you have clear headlamp lenses (so a complex reflector for aiming) deflectors are useless and you have to use tape on the front.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Pay attention to speed limits on the motorways, they change much more often than on British motorways, especially at junctions and ramps between motorways and directions. Also the speed limit is reduced when it is raining and it's up to you to make sure you remember that.

Driving in France (motorways at least) isn't stressful at all, they're big spacious roads compared to UK ones and you'll rarely come across big trucks except for around Calais. They are toll roads remember, and they can be quite pricy unfortunately.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/routes.htm? ... tiTo=paris

Try this for directions and toll calculations, a quick check suggests 50 euros each way.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and don't dick about, the gendarmerie take no prisoners :twisted:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Put a big Union Jack on your car (this allows you to drive on the left), and if they stop you remind them if it wasn't for you (well your grandfather) they'd be Germans.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Don't forget to put the GB sticker on the passenger side (that is in front of a French driver),
    not needed if you have the GB on the number plates.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Whichever way you go to Paris,either A26 ou A16 be sure to have about 20€ in change for the tolls,speed limit is 130kph on motorway then reduced to 110 for ring roads and 90>70>50 on slip roads and roundabouts.
    Don't forget at stop signs,you'll get nicked if you don't

If you get nicked by the gendarmes make sure you get a receipt as they will ask for cash.

fluo jackets and 2 breath test must be in the glovebox
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Breathtests and high vis jackets? Really?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    Daz555 wrote:
    yes or big fines.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    nicklouse wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    yes or big fines.

i told my mate this when we went to holland earlier in the year and he didn't believe me - luckily we didn't get stopped but he didn't even have a gb sticker, then the questions would've come about what else he didn't have!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    nicklouse wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    yes or big fines.
    Surprised that I have never been given these when hiring a car in France which I have done many times.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    Daz555 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    yes or big fines.
    Surprised that I have never been given these when hiring a car in France which I have done many times.
    only became Law (Breathalisers) in July fines for all from November. His Vis has been around for some time. In most of mainland Europe.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    Don't forget to put the GB sticker on the passenger side (that is in front of a French driver),
    not needed if you have the GB on the number plates.
    True, but he's already said he's got one......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    nicklouse wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    yes or big fines.
    only became Law (Breathalisers) in July fines for all from November. His Vis has been around for some time. In most of mainland Europe.

yeah i was living in spain when they brought in hi vis so i think about 7 years ago
  • you also need the paper part of your driving licence, as well as the plastic.
  • welshkev
    ElLawro wrote:
    you also need the paper part of your driving licence, as well as the plastic.

really? is that just france? cos i never needed it in spain. i know you do to hire a car, but whenever i got stopped they didn't ask for the paper bit.
  • they might ask for it, they might not. But i believe it is a requirement!