Newbie looking for advice, Kona Hahanna?

riponsimo
riponsimo Posts: 12
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

New here and also new to mountain biking, early 40's and reasonably fit.

Currently looking for a semi decent second hand bike, at this stage i'm happy to part with up to £200 and would rather get a good make, second hand bike, than a brand new lesser make bike.

Over the years i've heard good things about Kona's and am thinking of a Kona Hahanna which i've seen on the net, V brakes, 18 inch frame (i'm 5'10" and 15 stone).

I'm very open to advice, is a Hahanna a good start point for a newbie? I'd like to ride off road more than on road but wont be trying anything silly at the start...!!!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You'll have to link it or list the spec! Most of us will have no idea what's on it!
  • Greer_ wrote:
    You'll have to link it or list the spec! Most of us will have no idea what's on it!

I know what your saying, however, linking a live sale is kinda asking for someone else who knows much more than me to buy it or push the price up...i'm hoping for some advice before parting with the cash myself. Even if it's 'yeah that'll do ya' or 'keep away from those fella' :D

But what i know is - Kona Hananna, 18 inch frame, 2001-2001 model, 18 speed, SunTour forks, standard bike without upgrades i know of.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Then no one can really help. You expect people to have memorised decade old spec.
    But if it's that old with 6 speed and old Suntours, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Fair enough, but even a copy and paste of the description. But as CD says, you'd also be better off with a bike from decathlon.
  • Well although i'm keen to get involved in non-powered bikes (i have a ZX9) i'm not rushing, hence being here and asking for help....the link is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261127178702? ... 1423.l2649

So now you have all the info i have, what do you think?
  • cooldad wrote:
    Then no one can really help. You expect people to have memorised decade old spec.
    But if it's that old with 6 speed and old Suntours, no.

Sorry cooldad, i understand your point. With the link above you'll hopefully be able to advise.

As a newbie i dont know how much info is needed. I guess there is a lot of different specs etc. As i've been into motorbikes more than pedal i could give reasonable advice on most popular machines over the 10-20 years, but as said, i guess the amount of spec on MTB makes it difficult.
  • cooldad
    Having had a look at it, I probably wouldn't. At half the price, maybe. Apart from the elderly XT rear mech the rest of the spec is basic, forks are rubbish, undamped. And the condition looks a bit rough.
    Difference with bikes (and cars) is that they actually all have components that work, no one would sell a MC with undamped suspension (or a car with springs and no shocks).
    Difficult to find something with decent forks and ideally hydraulic brakes at that price, so either be patient, do plenty of homework and be ready to snap up a bargain, or look for something older with rigid forks but a decent frame and components.
    Then when the bug bites you'll be willing to sell a kidney to get the latest and greatest spec.
    Or up your budget to £300 and get this
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... ctFeatures
    Fork works, mechanical discs but adequate, and it will ride well enough.
    There again, once the budget starts going up, the second hand possibilities increase as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps you can edit and delete the link if you don't want anyone snaffling the bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for that advice cooldad, i appreciate it.

I did wonder if my idea of getting an older Kona was the way forward or not. The other option i've been looking at is a second hand Kraken. The other bike i've read alot about but is obviously more money is the Kona Cinder Cone...i've read those are about bullet proof and an excellent bike for improvers in MTB.

I really would rather buy decent second hand than shiny new, the bike will be going out in the wet and mud from day one with me and a few frame scratches wont bother me..as with everything i know some people want shiny toys that look amazing, but i'm more for a bike that will do the job and get a wash when its dirty.

As i am really very new to this i'm happy to put some money into it now, if the bug really does bite i'd most likely want to trade up to better spec etc....infact, the motorbike could go in favour of a MTB at which point i'd have a budget of £800, plus what ever MTB i had at the time, which i hope is enough to get a really decent bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's worth less than £100.
  • Update,

I've just bought a Carrera Fury, 18 inch frame, Rock Shox forks, Shimnao STX RC, Alex rims...photo to follow.
  • cooldad
    Good stuff - see you in the mud.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    riponsimo wrote:
    Update,

I've just bought a Carrera Fury, 18 inch frame, Rock Shox forks, Shimnao STX RC, Alex rims...photo to follow.
    the 1998-9 fury with rock shox indy forks,that was on ebay ? nice retro bike
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Probably the one yes, seller is in Blyth, Northumbria..