Wiggle Purbeck Hill-a-Saurus 20 Mile MTB Ride Nov 18th!

J_asonR
J_asonR Posts: 55
edited November 2012 in XC and Enduro
This will be my first organised ride and I'm looking forward to it a lot! It's a week after my birthday, so hopefully will have some new gadgets to test out..

Anybody done Wiggle rides before? What should I expect?

Comments

• Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    I've done most of them this year but with adverse weather and the amount of climbing this looks to be the toughest! Looking forward to it!
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Yep hoping to do this myself
    not done any of them before but looking forward to giving it a go
    I will be entering the Epic 25 mile one :) hope I don't regret it
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • J_asonR
    J_asonR Posts: 55
    Best of luck with that CameraUK! With what Rankles said about it being the toughest this year, I'm secretly thankful I didn't enter the Epic! That extra 6 miles might just finish me off for good!

Looking forward to getting out there with loads of people though! Just hope I don't come last :lol:
  • A guy in work has asked me to do this... Not so sure! Haha!
  • camerauk
    Any idea of the total amount of accent and decent for the epic course?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • pretty sure the profile is on the website isn't it?
    On my phone so I can't check lol!
  • camerauk
    Yes but it's a bit difficult to workout as I'm also on me phone and profile image is a bit naff
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    There's no GPS up yet but the Souther Rough Ride was the hardest I've done so far and that was rated the same difficulty at 4/5. It was 36 miles and 1000m climbing and Purbeck is only 25 miles... so I think we should expect between 1400 and 1600m of climbing.
  • camerauk
    ah thats not to bad then The Brecon Beast was a bit more than that but it was over 50 miles
    I think it will be nice and muddy though so will make it alot harder
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Also entered the epic and wondering whether it was a mistake! I think the weather will play a massive part in determining how difficult this will be, was very cold this morning first thing and this is still 5 weeks away! At least it was dry though.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm doing the epic too...

I wasn't at all worried about it actually - but I am now :shock: :lol:

Hope to see some of you there :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • camerauk
    I am looking forward to it hoping for a dry day but don't think will be that lucky lol

I will be on a Black/Green camber Expert so if you see say hello :)
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    I'll probably be on my bouncy Orange - not as fast as the Santa Cruz but I think comfort and mud clearance might be the order of the day!! :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• handful
    I think you could be right! Looking at the videos it seems most people are on hardtails but I think the lardy weight of my idrive should be offset by the comfort....or al least I hope so. I keep thinking 25 miles can't be that bad but then again that's nearly 3 times round Cwmcarn. :shock:
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never done a wiggle event before might enter I take it entrance tickets via the online site.
  • miss notax
    http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events ... -mtb-2012/

Looks like it's sold out i'm afraid :(

I like the fact that the people on the website are having fun biking in sunshine, in t-shirts, with a distinct lack of mud. I shall be most upset if my ride isn't exactly like that... :wink::lol:

• camerauk
    miss notax wrote:
    I like the fact that the people on the website are having fun biking in sunshine, in t-shirts, with a distinct lack of mud. I shall be most upset if my ride isn't exactly like that... :wink::lol:

I totally agree will we get a refund if its raining and muddy :wink:
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • elredso
    elredso Posts: 94
    having seen this thread I am a bit concerned that the 26 epic was a bit over confident

entered with the girlfriend, aim is for us to just complete it, not do it in a specific time - our thinking was it would encourage us to train / ride more in the bad weather / dark nights (not so much)

Tend to do 18-25 miles a week, but normally split over 2/3 rides

Am wondering if downgrading to the 20 miles might be advisable ???
  • handful
    I'm doing this and this is my first mtb event but I have done a road sportive and it's surprising what you can manage on these kinds of events. Go for it, the worst that can happen is you may have to walk up a couple of hills! See you there. :)
    Orbea Rise
  • camerauk
    I am sure you will be fine just try and enjoy it and when riding with a lot of other people around you its surprising how you will get keep going
    enjoy may see you there
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    So is everyone all ready for next Sunday then?

Not long now hope the weather stays kind to us all :D

Good luck to everyone and don't forget enjoy :P

If you see me say hello I will be on a Camber Expert(Silver/Green/Black) wearing a blue gore top(unless it's pouring down lol)
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Showers on Saturday but just cloudy on Sunday. So will be wet under tyre and hopefully dry uptop. I'm not taking any chances though, I'll be well prepared for a very wet & cold ride.

But it could all change :?
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • miss notax
    I don't think i'm remotely ready for this - but hey ho! I'll give it a try anyway :D

What time is everyone actually aiming to get there / start?

• camerauk
    miss notax wrote:
    I don't think i'm remotely ready for this - but hey ho! I'll give it a try anyway :D

What time is everyone actually aiming to get there / start?

Sure you will be fine :)

we are hoping to get there for around 8am get an early start and finish I hope
    what about you?
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • miss notax
    Probably about the same I guess...

I am actually booked on as a guest (long story!) so I don't have any of the 'official' info - what does it say for the start time? And is the address for the start as given on the website BH20 5DW?

My buddy who I was meant to be riding with has bust his shoulder, but I think i'm meeting up with the rest of his gang to ride with anyway. Hope they're not too fast - or too slow for that matter! :lol:

Should be fun!

• handful
    It's 0830-0930 start with a deadline for registration of 0915. If you'd like the pre-event information pm me your email and I'll send it to you.

I'm reserving judgement on start time until nearer the day when the weather forecast is more reliable, it might be a bit quieter, warmer and less foggy later, but then again it will be pretty chewed up with 500 odd bikes going over the course! On balance an early start probably best. see you all there. :)
    Orbea Rise
  • miss notax
    Thanks but I managed to find it all on-line in the end :D

Think i'll aim to get there for 8am (leaving home at 7am :shock: ) to start biking at 8.30ish....

It's going to be a mud-fest isn't it :roll: I was going to use my Santa Cruz but might swap to the Orange instead (much more mud clearance!) but stick a Trailraker on the front. Cunning plan methinks.... :wink:

• miss notax
    Right, given that it's meant to pee down with rain all Saturday, how muddy do people think it's going to be on Sunday...? A lot of the riding around there is pretty well draining, but I imagine the muddy bits are going to be pretty bad.

Am currently deciding whether to swap my current 2.35 Minion / High Roller combo for a 2.1 Trailraker / Fire XC Pro combo..... What do you reckon?!!

I'm never sure whether wider or narrower tyres are better in mud - not sure i've come to an intelligent conclusion over the years!! :?

• I don't think it will be that bad, I'll be wearing XR4's
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • camerauk
    Will be wearing specialized Ground Control's myself :)
    Specialized Allez Sport