Bike components sending me crazy! help please

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited November 2012 in MTB beginners
I now have a short list of 3 mikes but they appear to have different level of components.

How would you rate

SHIFTERS : Deore 10 speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR : Deore

REAR: SLX Shadow

Brakes: Avid Elixir hydraulic 3

Components appear to be a mind field!!! Any help or advise on the mix and which is most important, for example is it better to have a better rear derailluer

My budget is about £1600 what should I be aiming for?

I know road bike specs and have Ultegra but MB spec is sending me crazy, is SLX shadow different to SLX for example?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• All ok. But there are better, depends what you want.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are the bikes? A 1600 full suspension bike will have lower quality parts than a hardtail.
  • Look for last years? For that much I'd rather look out for an SLX/XT combo rather than Deore/SLX.

Check out Canyon?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I understand that all SLX are shadow, so some may not state it....

That's a very poor spec for budget for an HT, only moderately poor for an FS.

Its a 'minefield' not a field full of brains!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    flyer wrote:
    I now have a short list of 3 mikes but they appear to have different level of components.

Depends on what floats your boat really... :lol:

This gives an indication of the groupsets Shimano do.

You generally find that manufactures stick a bling rear derailleur but the rest of the components aren't as good to draw people in but it doesn't make a huge difference to performance.

You might get better luck if you post up some bikes in the buying section with links.

But I understand your pain, it is a bit of a nightmare understanding groupsets from one manufacturer to another. Then have to re-learn it all again from road to mtb.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    For what it's worth, Deore components are perfectly fine. They might not be the lightest or the best looking but they'll do the job. If you like the bike, you can always replace them with SLX / XT or whatever when they need replacing?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc