Squeaky brakes after cleaning bike?

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited November 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just gave my bike a good clean and had a quick ride and the bakes are squealing like mad!

May this be because of the Muc-off spray I use contaminating the rotors/pads? Apart from Muc-off all I've used is a bit of warm water and GT85 spray on the chain/cassette before re-lubing... Will cleaning the rotors with white spirits solve this?

Also a work colleague told me wiping the frame down with vaseline after cleaning helps keep the muck off very well... True or?... lol

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I wouldn't worry about it, mine do that but they soon settle down again. Any slight contamination will have burnt off by the time you get to the bottom of your first big hill.

Vaseline...that's the sticky petroleum jelly that shrugs off water, yes. Tell you what, put some on your hand, do some gardening for a few minutes and see if it's managed to keep the dirt off. Then try washing your hands with ordinary soap and water and see how quickly any dirt which does stick comes off....

I think he's winding you up. And I've got a feeling vaseline might actually start to soften the paint if you left it on for too long. Some people spray the frame with GT85 to help stop the mud from sticking, but I find that the best thing is just to accept that a mountain bike is going to get muddy and then spend a few minutes cleaning it after each ride. It's much easier to get mud off a mountain bike than it is to get road grime off a road bike.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Go faster and the mud wont have time to stick.

But seriously, just ride it for 5 minutes, maybe do a few hard stops, it'll work itself out.